Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 304176 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #435 on: September 03, 2015, 05:01:26 pm »
Does anyone know the total number of bed spaces in Llandudno hotels?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #436 on: September 03, 2015, 09:43:16 pm »
Not a clue but I do recall reading somewhere  a few years ago that there were more bed spaces in Llandudno than the rest of Wales put together. That sounds ridiculous but I would imagine the truth might be Llandudno has more bed spaces than anywhere else in Wales.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: September 04, 2015, 11:13:58 am »
Not a clue but I do recall reading somewhere  a few years ago that there were more bed spaces in Llandudno than the rest of Wales put together. That sounds ridiculous but I would imagine the truth might be Llandudno has more bed spaces than anywhere else in Wales.
I seem to recall that Cardiff has now overtaken Llandudno with regard to number of bed spaces.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: September 08, 2015, 11:54:34 am »
Wake Me Up Before You Go Go! B&B owner vanishes overnight leaving guests in lurch
16:13, 7 SEPTEMBER 2015 UPDATED 16:56, 7 SEPTEMBER 2015
BY MARI JONES

Guests at a Conwy hotel woke up to find the owners had disappeared during the night.

Others staying at the well-known Fairy Falls Hotel in Trefriw found to their dismay the hotel was locked up and a sign had been placed on the door saying it had closed due to “unforeseen circumstances”.

The dismayed holidaymakers ended up desperately trying to book into other accommodation providers in the village, but most were fully booked.

Alan Jones, who runs the Ty Newydd guest house in Trefriw said there were already people staying at the hotel when the owners disappeared.

He added: “There was a lot of distressed people around on the Saturday, around a dozen had tried to book in to the Fairy Falls.

“We tried to help them out and managed to accommodate a few of them and phoned many hotels in Llandudno but they were all full.

“It was a pretty shocking thing to happen, there were still people in there when the landlady disappeared.”

Sue, from Swindon, posted on travel review site Tripadvisor: “We travelled over five hours for our visit so we’re very disappointed.

“The local people were so helpful trying to suggest other B&Bs in the area.”

A party for 100 was supposed to take place at the hotel on the Saturday night. A local couple had paid £200 for a party to celebrate the man’s 40th birthday and their son’s 21st birthday.

The woman said: “We were all so looking forward to the party. We had saved up for it and it formed a big part of our son’s 21st birthday present.

“In the end we ended up having sandwiches at Y Bedol pub in Tal y Bont. They were wonderful but it wasn’t quite the night we were hoping for.

“I really hope we can get the money back, even if it’s just a goodwill gesture.”

Hotel owners Punch Taverns said they have no obligation to give the money back, as the pub is leased.

A spokeswoman for Punch Taverns said: “Punch Taverns are predominantly a leased and tenanted pub company, whilst we own the freehold of the Fairy Falls we lease out the premises under the terms of a legal contract and the tenant operates their own business with complete autonomy.

“We are therefore not in a position to reimburse customers monies paid to the previous tenant for goods not received as this was a business transaction between parties.”

The spokeswoman added: “Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Fairy Falls has closed at short notice.

“Some essential works are currently being completed and we hope to have the pub back open and trading in approximately two weeks.

“We are pleased to confirm that Debbie Pedder will become the new tenant and is looking forward to welcoming back customers of the Fairy Falls.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fairy-falls-conwy-landlord-left-10006655

Offline kgem

« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:12 pm »
The somerset hotel is being taken over by Daish's travel. www.daishs.com. They are planning a program of renovation over the winter and hope to reopen in the spring and stay open all year round.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2015, 06:48:54 am »
They seem to have 7 other hotels and their own fleet of coaches,good news for town,costant turn over people all year round,The Somerset is one of the few that closed over winter.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2015, 09:29:56 am »
The somerset hotel is being taken over by Daish's travel. www.daishs.com. They are planning a program of renovation over the winter and hope to reopen in the spring and stay open all year round.
Great news, thanks for sharing.  $good$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:42 pm »
  Having worked in coach travel for over 30 years I was surprised when I read this news. I must admit that I had never even heard of them---who are they? So I looked them up and I now know why I have never come across them. All their existing bases are around 300 miles from here.
   So they are making a brave step into the unknown. No harm in that, I wish them the best of luck. In view of the competition they will need it

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #443 on: October 10, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »
only sold 15 rooms in the Queens come Harrison hotel,seems the rush to invest has slowed down a little.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #444 on: October 11, 2015, 07:49:37 pm »
  Just in case nobody has noticed. The scaffolding around the Washington has at last come down and the building looks pretty good from the outside.  But no great signs of any further activity. its taken almost as long as Aberhod in Rhos. Made worse by the comparison with the hotel two doors away where the massive refurbishment was all done and dusted in a matter of a few months.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #445 on: October 16, 2015, 10:08:18 pm »
They seem to have 7 other hotels and their own fleet of coaches,good news for town,costant turn over people all year round,The Somerset is one of the few that closed over winter.

The problem (for Llandudno) with coach firms owing hotels is that whilst the guests might sleep in the hotel overnight during the daytimes they'll be getting whisked off on day trips to other parts of North Wales.  Go and stand on the A470 anywhere between Llandudno and the A55 at 9.00am on a summer morning and you'll see dozens of coaches heading off for Betws-y-Coed, Anglesey or wherever it is that they go.  This will be good news for the town, but only if the town you're talking about is Betws-y-Coed or Caernarfon.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2015, 12:11:29 am »
Andy, that is something that is remarked upon every day by those of us who have a business in Llandudno.

Basically, I hear people saying they have been for 'a week in Llandudno'

In actual fact they arrived late on Monday, stayed in the hotel that night.... had 2 or 3 trips to Tweedmill, LlanfairPG, Caernarfon, Betws.... etc... and were shipped off home at 10am on Friday.   (with pockets emptied)
They never rode a tram, never set foot on the Pier, never reached the Cable Car and left never knowing that 'West Shore' even exists.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2015, 01:34:38 pm »
Unfortunate but certainly not unique. Bournemouth, Torquay, Dunoon,Weston super mare etc etc. All in the same situation.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #448 on: October 18, 2015, 01:49:08 pm »
*Oh,  and of course they are highly unlikely to go away every day. Because of the stringent driving regulations the driver almost always has to take a rest day, very often on the Sunday. Unless the passengers have made some arrangement between themselves to hire a coach for the day, then they spend that day in the town they are sleeping in.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #449 on: October 25, 2015, 07:21:30 pm »
Mostyn Estates are obviously struggling to find any more tennants for the Tudno Castle hence thelack of any progress on the development.It must be two years since they announced Premier inn and Prezzo,i think the town needs a manager who could invite companies to town to take a look.