Author Topic: Lloyd Street, Llandudno  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Mrs Suckersby

Lloyd Street, Llandudno
« on: March 22, 2023, 12:49:19 pm »
Anyone know where Almira, is or was on Lloyd Street please.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Lloyd Street, Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 02:41:38 pm »
Sorry but I can't help you with this, over the years the buildings have changed and possibly the names of the houses too.   In the Conwy Archives they do have address books for Llandudno covering a number of years from 1911 to about 1963 and they list every house in Llandudno,  perhaps they can give you the information you are looking for.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 04:52:52 pm »
As Hugo has said the house names changed so much over the years. I have looked on the 1881 1901 & 1911 Census but they only gave the house names no numbers & Almira didn't come up. On the 1939 Register it came up & either side was Madryn & Ashford, the Parry family lived there at that time. There are a few newspaper articles in the Archived North Wales Weekly News of the Parry family, but no house number.
A lot of the large houses on Lloyd Street were pulled down & flats built, so it could be that it doesn't exist anymore.

Offline Mrs Suckersby

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 06:13:23 pm »
Thank you Hugo and Meleri, your information has been very helpful, this can now give me a way forward.  My Father lived at Cadnant, opposite Lloyd Street School in the 1930?s and it?s connected to this Almira query.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:03:27 pm »
That's a really good find Meleri and it pinpoints exactly where Almira was but unfortunately all three house names seem to have gone and been replaced with house numbers
The address books in Conwy Archives may give more details and from memory they have one for 1939 and one for about 1962    If you wish, I'll gladly go to the Archives and have a look for you as there is something else I need to see there

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 07:45:07 am »
Almira was probably 55 Lloyd Street but named "Penrhos" latterly.  Demolished, as Meleri, said for a Housing Association development about 30 years ago.

Offline Mrs Suckersby

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 02:48:13 pm »
Thank you Cambrian for the information. Thank you too Hugo, I am interested in knowing who lived at Almira in the 1930?s, but don?t want you make a special trip, only if you?re there for something else.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 03:03:42 pm »
Almira was No 55 Lloyd Street, I have just found an article regarding the estate of Ellen Louise Parry that mentions the address. There is another article that mentions Penrhos Caravan Hire at 53 Lloyd Street.

On 29/9/1939 the 1939 Register was taken & living at Almira, Lloyd Street was Griffith D Parry a Master Joiner born 9/7/1881, his wife Clara born 4/12/1881 & Ella Hardy a School Teacher born 3/9/1884 she was a widow.

Offline Mrs Suckersby

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 03:12:43 pm »
Thank you for the information Meleri.  I?m researching my Father, who was adopted and Almira is given as his place of birth in 1931.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 03:40:59 pm »
Have you thought of doing a DNA test through Ancestry.com they have a special offer on at the moment. I traced my husband's father through that & also I had a match that showed a 1st cousin. it transpired he had been adopted & was trying to find his birth family. It was a joy to welcome him into our family & he looked so like some of the men, it didn't take me long to discover who his father was.

Offline Mrs Suckersby

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 04:13:21 pm »
Thanks Meleri,  I received your PM but when I try to reply to you it says I am not allowed to send PM.  I would like to proceed with my research though.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 04:27:23 pm »
Narrowed it down a bit more. The Parry family were living at Almira Lloyd Street 11th December 1933, the son Richard Tudor Parry age 13 was charged with theft & his mother Clara Parry was in court with him.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 04:59:26 pm »
I may be able to add a little about Richard Tudor Parry (who I met many years ago when he returned to Llandudno for a visit).  He served in WW2 and was one of the few survivors of the massacre near Wormhout in Northern France in May, 1940 - not to be confused with the ambush at Wormhout itself.  He survived but had been badly wounded. Fortunately, he was found by some German army medics who took care of him.  I think he spent at least two years as a PoW before being exchanged.  After his release, he certainly made a formal statement about the atrocity. He died in 1979 at his home near Windermere.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 10:28:25 am »
Meleri's comment of "doing a DNA test through Ancestry.com they have a special offer on at the moment" is a really good idea and worth having a go at.
I like watching the TV programme "Long lost families" and in particular the ones about foundling babies.   These cases are where the babies have been left in places where they are likely to be found but with no details left about the baby,      They have been able to trace the birth mother and father relying purely on DNA evidence so it really does help
Like Meleri I have also done a DNA test and the results are really interesting and it turns out that I have relatives all over the world
In your Father's case do you have a copy of his birth certificate?

Offline Mrs Suckersby

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 01:19:46 pm »
Yes, I have just received my Father?s birth certificate which sparked off my research as Almira came up as his place of birth.  I have had my DNA results back.