Author Topic: The Libyan conflict  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Trojan

The Libyan conflict
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:22:10 am »
President Obama's full speech to the American people on the US mission in Libya.

Read the full transcript here: http://to.pbs.org/hGRCoK

Watch President Obama's Full Speech on the U.S. Mission in Libya

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The Libyan conflict
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:42:16 pm »
You could summarise it into bullet points as follows.

Bad man has been persecuting his people
We will now STOP selling arms to the bad man
We fancy getting rid of the bad man
We will ignore other bad men in Burma and Zimbabwe
This bad man is sat on a lot of oil!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:10 pm »
You could summarise it into bullet points as follows.

Bad man has been persecuting his people
We will now STOP selling arms to the bad man
We fancy getting rid of the bad man
We will ignore other bad men in Burma and Zimbabwe

Yes, basically.

"We decided to muscle in, but now are going to sit back and let our allies take over, as it's much cheaper for the American taxpayer that way."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:12 pm »
Indeed.
When Gadaffi was behind the murder of a UK Policewoman, we didn't bomb him.
When he was behind the horrific murders over Lockerbie ... there was a long winded trial... we didn't bomb him
When Gadaffi wanted to buy weapons to control his people ... we were too happy to do business.

Now ... he attacks NON British people with those very weapons, and we open a can of whoop-ass on him!

Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:01:05 am »
 8)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:57 pm »

Dr Gerry Mander: the therapist the stars trust

Dear Dr Mander

For many years, I have presided despotically over a regime famed for its cruelty. I have maintained my vice-like grip by humiliating anyone with ambition, dashing their hopes of a better future, while bribing a tiny elite to remain outwardly loyal. There are superficial trappings of democracy, giving the masses some illusion that they control things. But really it is a personality cult. I am colossally vain, demanding an entourage of personal attendants, nurses, lackeys etc. I tolerate no criticism and enjoy playing rival factions in my administration off against each other. It's not easy running The X Factor. Now I want to expand into the US and I need a trusted deputy to take over the operation at home. I'm not sure anyone in the world is up to it.

Simon Cowell

Dear Mr Cowell

It is difficult for a regime that is centralised around a charismatic figurehead to survive transition to a new leader. You don't want The X Factor to Balkanise into autonomous shows run by warlords such as Louis Walsh and Cheryl Cole. You need someone with experience of total, megalomaniac control. As it happens, I have the perfect candidate, based in Tripoli, who will soon be in need of work abroad. Communications with Libya are a bit tricky right now, but you can contact his agent c/o the London School of Economics.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:59:25 pm »

Fester, Libya is actually responsible for about 2% of the World's oil supply so they're really not a major player.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »
You are right Paddy ...2%.... a very similar percentage as Iraq !,  and guess what...we thought it right to depose that leader too.

The Saudi's produce way over 10% of the total, but because we are terrified of them, (or more like they have our top officials in their pocket) we seem to tolerate stonings, beheadings, floggings.... etc, for years.

Nah, its hypocrisy through and through.
Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:51 pm »

Fester, Libya is actually responsible for about 2% of the World's oil supply so they're really not a major player.

Exactly, but the oil comanies are blaming the hike in petroleum prices on the Libyan conflict.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:46 pm »

Exactly, but the oil comanies are blaming the hike in petroleum prices on the Libyan conflict.

Trojan, they're not "blaming" the Libyan conflict for the hike, they're simply exploiting the price in-elacsticty of oil and using the Libya conflict as an excuse.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 04:25:43 pm »

Trojan, they're not "blaming" the Libyan conflict for the hike, they're simply exploiting the price in-elacsticty of oil and using the Libya conflict as an excuse.

I suppose you could put it that way too.

The price of oil is not solely determined by physical supply, but also by expected future supply. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Libya holds the largest proven oil reserve in Africa. Oil speculators raised prices after considering the possibility of a civil war in Libya that would disrupt oil production.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »
Sahra Neeley a vivacious, beautiful student has written an interesting analysis:

http://www.cluecho.com/opinion/with-rising-gas-prices-driving-is-a-major-pain-at-the-pump-1.2117607

Offline Trojan

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 04:33:46 pm »
Sahra Neeley a vivacious, beautiful student has written an interesting analysis:

http://www.cluecho.com/opinion/with-rising-gas-prices-driving-is-a-major-pain-at-the-pump-1.2117607

"Most of the oil companies have blamed the rapid price hike on the conflict in Libya".

Offline Trojan

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »
"Fifty-eight percent of our oil is imported from other countries.

We only buy 1 percent of it from Libya.

Most of that 58 percent of imported oil comes from Venezuela".

Buying just 1% of Petroleum Spirit from Libya doesn't, in my view, substantiate such a dramatic hike in petrol prices. However, the above figures is from someone living in the US.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:36:36 am »
But its most important to point out... that YES,  she IS beautiful... vivacious I don't know?... but she's smart too!
Fester...