The Local > Times Past

The Older the better....

(1/3) > >>

menatworkwales:
Good evening guys (currently out at sea, working nights)

Thought I'd introduce myself, and what I set out to do last year.

My Name is Danny, I live up the orme on St Beunos road (where my little girl is the 6th gen)
Last year during the first lockdown, I got deeply into local history. I had been into it before, but I mean I utilised a lot of man hours.

My aim, was to find the earliest 'photographic' images I could find of Llandudno, and also our area up the Orme (I have family on Pyllau and Cromlech roads)
So, I added to my book collection in a major way, and I used my internet skills to the best, and dived deep into archives where people hadn't been so bothered before.

I've shared some of these images on 'Old photographs of Llandudno' on Facebook, But I'll start with a couple.

The first one is looking over Pyllau road, and the back of St Beunos, Photographed in 1889 by Godfrey Bingley
You can see that St Beunos is single storey stone cottages, the 3 central houses are still just like they were, with additions (the first one in picture being my Nain and Grandads)

The second one being a very very early Mostyn street (1850s) Roger Fenton (World famous early photographer)
The building you can see on the left in the front, is the old Market place, later the Palladium, nowadays the Wetherspoons.

I'll post a couple of photos each day to share
 $3towns$

Fester:
Hey Danny.
My favourite of yours is the incomplete Upper Mostyn Street picture, I’ve never seen an earlier one than that.  Taken from where the roundabout is now.

Hugo:
Menatwork,  I don't do facebook so unfortunately I haven't seen the photos you have posted there.    I've posted some which I've seen but they may be ones that you have already seen.

In the second photo the white things at the top right hand side of the photo are clothes that have been washed and then left on bushes so they could dry in the sunshine

Tom Parry lived near you in Cromlech Road and knows more about the Great Orme than anyone I know.    In the past I have contacted him about things that no one else knew but he was always able to get the answer for me

menatworkwales:
This is another I love

📍Upper Mostyn Street, 1860(ish)

The Empire building looks as though it is only just completed.
Central Library can be seen on the right hand side, and the smaller Tabernacle on the left hand side.

menatworkwales:

--- Quote from: Hugo on November 21, 2021, 03:00:05 pm ---Menatwork,  I don't do facebook so unfortunately I haven't seen the photos you have posted there.    I've posted some which I've seen but they may be ones that you have already seen.

In the second photo the white things at the top right hand side of the photo are clothes that have been washed and then left on bushes so they could dry in the sunshine

Tom Parry lived near you in Cromlech Road and knows more about the Great Orme than anyone I know.    In the past I have contacted him about things that no one else knew but he was always able to get the answer for me

--- End quote ---

Tom Parry is still there :) We've had many good chats also.
This one is really early.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version