Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 219959 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2014, 09:32:01 pm »
 What a terrible shame. I've just remembered. One day when all the passengers were off one of the other drivers grabbed one of the hats which had been left on a coach seat, stuffed it on my head and took a photo on the then just invented phone camera. What a pity that was never downloaded to me so that I could put that on the forum

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2014, 09:40:08 pm »
 Another memory. At least some of them have a sense of humour.
  One was speaking to me. He said --- "You probably know that we Jews have our own cemetery in London, and at death we are all buried there. Well I recently attended a funeral of a dear jewish friend. But I was unsure of the way to drive to the cemetery so I put it in my sat nav. I was driving through London and it was talking to me, turn next right, left at traffic lights etc. Then, at last, it said YOU HAVE NOW REACHED YOUR FINAL DESTINATION"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: August 23, 2014, 07:52:21 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
I've been too busy to look in on the Forum since Friday,  but I see that this thread has been quite busy.

Born to Run,  not sure what your game is at the moment, but you are either being deliberately obtuse, or deliberately missing the point I was making.
I think I chose my words VERY carefully, and made my self very clear.

You seem to want to create a fog around the subject, for what reason I cannot fathom.

Ask any direct question you like,  it's not a subject I will shy away from,  but don't waste (my) time or prevaricate.
You will get a direct and hopefully clear answer.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #394 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
Alfie has just asked me, "What's it all about? ", and I wouldn't mind knowing also!   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #395 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:58 am »
I've been too busy to look in on the Forum since Friday,  but I see that this thread has been quite busy.

Born to Run,  not sure what your game is at the moment, but you are either being deliberately obtuse, or deliberately missing the point I was making.
I think I chose my words VERY carefully, and made my self very clear.

You seem to want to create a fog around the subject, for what reason I cannot fathom.

Ask any direct question you like,  it's not a subject I will shy away from,  but don't waste (my) time or prevaricate.
You will get a direct and hopefully clear answer.

No misleading on my points whatsoever. You implied that all of them "behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner" This isn't true, that's a fact. There's no fog, no mystery, it just simply and clearly isn't true. There's a chance, a very small one, that every single one you have ever encountered has been abrupt and aggressive, but there is no way you have met every single one of them and so your labelling of them is ,as I pointed out, 'a terrible generalisation' Your other points I'm not even going to question. But you cannot label a whole set of people as abrupt and aggressive. it just isn't on.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: August 27, 2014, 10:41:17 am »
B2R I'm puzzled, I thought Fester was your friend yet you seem to be hell bent on proving some very obscure point, but why? I wonder if these other sects, races, whatever would rush to defend you? Seems unlikely somehow! It does seem in the UK now that we have to be so careful what we say about these groups yet they still seem to be able to say whatever they like about us, not really fair somehow is it? I have been keeping fairly quiet on this subject so far, but it has been puzzling me!  ???

If they said that all Christians were 'Abrupt and Aggressive" or any other generalisation that clearly isn't true simply by the fact that they can't all be, I'd be the first to defend 'us'.
Not liking the teachings or methodology of any group of people is fine, I would never shy away from it myself. But to personally insult or label a group of people "because they all do this or that" is wrong. It's a stereotype and I don't think it has a place in a serious discussion. I didn't even disagree with any of his main points, which I happen to mostly agree with.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #397 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »
Seems very likely to me that they are all very much alike, you can't miss them with the big beards and black coats and hats! I can't see any problem with generalisation, they have deliberately made themselves alike.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #398 on: August 28, 2014, 01:19:01 am »
B2R,  I can only hope, for the sake of your own stress levels, that you continue to be relatively unexposed to the Charedi.

Because, that is the ONLY explanation I can see as being the reason for jumping to their defence.

I have come to the conclusion that you lie to take the contrary view on most subjects,  (often for valid reasons), whether you know anything about the subject matter or not.

More to the point,  you are rubbish at online Scrabble, and even though I can't beat Yorkie or SDQ, I always beat you.... so just ponder a while on where that puts you on the credibility ladder.    :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #399 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:10 am »
B2R,  I can only hope, for the sake of your own stress levels, that you continue to be relatively unexposed to the Charedi.

Because, that is the ONLY explanation I can see as being the reason for jumping to their defence.

I have come to the conclusion that you lie to take the contrary view on most subjects,  (often for valid reasons), whether you know anything about the subject matter or not.

More to the point,  you are rubbish at online Scrabble, and even though I can't beat Yorkie or SDQ, I always beat you.... so just ponder a while on where that puts you on the credibility ladder.    :laugh: :laugh:

I always get the worst letters. This, unlike your ramblings, IS a fact _))*
I don't lie to take the contrary view on most subjects. I pointed out a tiny error with your view on the Charedi that for some reason you can't accept.
It wouldn't have mattered who you were talking about....Jews, Estate agents, Footballers, Ballerinas whoever they are if you said that they ALL were aggressive, or meek or lazy or anything else I would have equally said that wasn't true either. Terrible Generalisation and I stand by my original point. $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: August 28, 2014, 09:53:42 am »
This is very interesting, how many talented people fail to reach their potential thanks to the 'old boy' private school network in this country?  &shake&

The UK is "deeply elitist" according to new analysis of the backgrounds of more than 4,000 business, political, media and public sector leaders.

Small elites, educated at independent schools and Oxbridge, still dominate top roles, suggests the Social Mobility and Child Poverty Commission study.

It says key institutions do not represent the public they serve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28953881

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #401 on: August 28, 2014, 10:20:55 am »
Just look at the Government. BBC been at it for years as well  &shake&

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #402 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:47 am »
Interesting, but not surprising, this subject rears it's head every so many years....
Money equals a better education, a better education equals a better job, better contacts, the old boy network at the top, the trouble ,with "these jobs"  in law/politics/military etc. they may have a named education, but are they competent, the old boy system is flawed, but can it ever be changed...or will it.
not to make light of it, but , all I can think of at the moment is "Yes Minister"  "Yes Prime minister" and "Black Adder" the army years, funny but, so true.
The old boy network worked for me when I left school, I had family contacts in the local council, my uncle could get me a job as a chippie, another in the docks, so it happens on many levels, but in those positions any decisions I made were not life changing, I hope!.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #403 on: August 28, 2014, 11:25:20 am »
I did not get involved in the "Charedi" debate because I felt I was not informed enough to take part, but now, the

latest comments I have to speak up, although I am trying to control my anger, and not say something I will regret

later, I am sorry that some people feel the need to drag "groups" down, well in this case I am not going to stand

for it, I am going to speak out.... $angry$..... >>>

My best friend is a Jewish ballet dancing, estate agent who plays football at the weekends........... :D

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #404 on: August 28, 2014, 11:47:30 am »
I did not get involved in the "Charedi" debate because I felt I was not informed enough to take part, but now, the

latest comments I have to speak up, although I am trying to control my anger, and not say something I will regret

later, I am sorry that some people feel the need to drag "groups" down, well in this case I am not going to stand

for it, I am going to speak out.... $angry$..... >>>

My best friend is a Jewish ballet dancing, estate agent who plays football at the weekends........... :D

L0L Is she aggressive?