The Local > Times Past

Winter Gardens Memories

(1/2) > >>

Rolli:

What's your memories of the Winter Gardens?.
Mine are those of going to The Clarence first for a couple of pints of Tartan having come on the Cymru Coastliner from Bangor. Then entering the Winter Gardens for the night. The Group that played there in 67/68 was the Sumners ( I think??). Same name as Peggy Blakeley's famous restaurant and confectioners on Mostyn Street. They played /sang the Beach Boys really well,  Frankie Valli and others. I only missed one of the two Cymru Coastliners at midnight once to return home. Once was enough to walk back to Bangor grateful of a full moon's light

SAJ:
My first experience of the Winter Gardens was in 1969 and it was a Big Night Out. I seem to recall that there was a “traditional” band early on in the evening and they seemed to attract a slightly older audience. I don’t remember any band names but liked the fact that in addition to the bar, there was the snack bar where energy levels could be topped up with a ham sandwich and glass of ice cold milk. I also remember the odd rumpus amongst those waiting for their coach home. Hope that wasn’t you Rolli!

DVT:
I used to go there in 1969 as well!  Not one to dance, so it was an evening watching the girls, and trying to cop off with one later in the evening!

Hugo:
I didn't go there very often but in about 1963/64 there was Roland Mott playing there according to a friend of mine

SAJ:
That would be right Hugo. His daughter was in my year at CYD primary school.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version