Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

A place to discuss non-local religious affairs

<< < (2/8) > >>

DaveR:
Welcome to the Forum, Richard!  :)

Ian:
Welcome, indeed.  And a cogent argument.

Trojan:
Interesting article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1310358/Those-oppose-Pope-Benedict-XVIs-visit-real-bigots.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I disagree with many of his teachings. But it's those who oppose Pope Benedict XVI's visit who are the real bigots

:votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive:

However, if the Pope is visiting England  :england: and Scotland  :Scot: then I wouldn't expect the Welsh or the Northern Irish to fork-out anything. But then.........the Queen and the UK Government has invited the Pontiff over.

Another interesting article:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/britons-say-taxpayer-should-not-fund-popes-visit-14933547.html

The poll findings come after it was announced earlier this year that the Government costs of the trip - previously estimated at £8 million - could rise to between £10 million and £12 million.

In addition, the Catholic Church is expected to make a contribution of between £9 million and £10 million towards the costs.

Does this mean that the total bill could be around £20 million?  :o

Nice to see everyone going "Dutch" though - and he isn't even visiting Holland.  :laugh:

DaveR:
Good point, how on earth can it cost £20m?!  :o

I see no reason why taxpayers money has to be spent on this, the Catholic Church has plenty of money, even after paying out hundreds of millions to the victims of organised child abuse. The Pope is welcome to visit the UK, just don't ask me to pay for it.

Paddy:
Here here Dave. it's been suggested that the majority of the cost is for security and protection. There's faith for you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version