Poll

Who should pay for the Papal visit to the UK?

The RC church in general
10 (62.5%)
The UK RC church
3 (18.8%)
The UK
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: A place to discuss non-local religious affairs  (Read 15718 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Papal Visit.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 09:15:10 pm »
That reminds me of that video with the two kids...

Offline Richard

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:31 pm »
Unfortunately, by ignoring issues that are socially unacceptable, be it someone dropping litter or the cost to the taxpayer of the Pope’s visit, the issue does not go away, it becomes regarded by some as acceptable. Recent polls suggest that some 80% of people find the costs involved in this visit unacceptable; this is very understandable as we see the items like proposed new schools being cancelled, the GMP and North Wales Police considering 25% cuts in personnel. The worst is yet to come, and whilst we already have a lack of funding for social care for OAP’s, children and the vulnerable, someone has to stand up and shout that the cost of the Pope’s visit to the UK is unacceptable. I don’t hear many MP’s doing this, presumably for fear of being called racist or a bigot. It’s got nothing to do with racism or bigotry, this country is highly tolerant of races, religions and creeds, the argument is about whether it is a worthwhile use of finances at this time.  But there is no real difference in this argument and the argument over the cost of Trident.

Except that one is carried around in a chair...........

Offline Richard

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 09:53:56 am »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 10:27:34 am »
"The BBC will use up to 400 staff to cover the Pope’s four-day visit to Britain, more people than it sent to the World Cup.
The first day alone, when Pope Benedict XVI arrives in Edinburgh for an audience with the Queen on Thursday, will be covered by 300 staff for more than 12 hours of programming on BBC1, BBC2, BBC News and Radio 5 Live online.

Much of that will be while most of the country is at work. Director general Mark Thompson, a Roman Catholic, has attracted criticism for sidelining other Christian groups and for excessive staffing – 292 were sent to this year’s World Cup and 274 to the Glastonbury Festival."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/199189/400-BBC-staff-on-Pope-duty-

:o

Offline Richard

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »
Not bad coverage for a 'third world country'...................

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 10:20:46 pm »
This German Cardinal who made the gaffe has been eased out of the trip now,  but was he actually being a visionary?

He said that he found a culture of aggressive athiesm in the UK....Is he wrong?  ..just look at the number of church closures every single week.
Where I come from originally in Yorkshire, the most beautiful gothic or Victorian churches are now mainly Asian carpet shops.

He alluded to the UK being a 3rd world country.  Well I have visited many on business....and they were characterised by several things.
1, A failing education system,
2, A broken social morality prevailed, corruption etc...
3, Inability to maintain wealth creating industry such as mining, ship-building or car manufacture...
4, A poorly resourced and misdirected Police Force and Army.
5, A vibrant ''black'' economy

Does this remind you of anywhere we know???

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »
Comment on Radio 5 this afternoon "How dare he call us a third world country, the Vatican (which is a state in its own right) doesn't even have a motorway service station"!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 07:42:29 am »
He alluded to the UK being a 3rd world country.  Well I have visited many on business....and they were characterised by several things.
1, A failing education system,
2, A broken social morality prevailed, corruption etc...
3, Inability to maintain wealth creating industry such as mining, ship-building or car manufacture...
4, A poorly resourced and misdirected Police Force and Army.
5, A vibrant ''black'' economy

Does this remind you of anywhere we know???

I think I'd take issue with some of those observations, Fester, but that there are problems in UK society is beyond question. Oh - and you forgot 'widespread and culturally-acceptable bribery and corruption of local officials. 

))*

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 08:12:34 am »
He said that he found a culture of aggressive athiesm in the UK....Is he wrong?
He's probably not wrong...but is there anything wrong with Atheism? How many murders are carried out or wars started in the name of Atheism?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 10:00:11 am »
I read the title as 'Pay Pal' visit !  when I saw what it really meant then I see no reason for the UK government to pay for it, moneys very tight at the moment and its better  used elsewhere. Don't get me wrong though welcome to him and I hope he enjoys his visit.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »
As we continue to find nothing but Papal visit news on our screens, I think one thing that might well cause outrage  were the Pope's remarks about associating Nazism and Hitler with atheism.

Just what Hitler believed is one thing - who can tell? - but he certainly used religion in his speeches and writing, and found plenty of cooperation, especially, as far as I'm aware, among Catholics. Have a look at these photos. And a very large proportion of ordinary people who followed him willingly enough would have been Christians of one kind or another. The well-known examples of resistance came from Protestants. The idea that Nazism arose from some kind of atheism is just nonsense.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 02:51:48 pm »
Surprisingly, the Telegraph agrees.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 07:36:07 am »
Well, he's gone back to Rome now. Received this wonderful "pope-on-a-rope" souvenir, from a friend called Bob who saw him in Birmingham.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »
Thats just fantastic ...a pope in a soap on a rope  ...just wonderful.

I mentioned this idea a few weeks ago to Mrs F,  and she just shrugged her shoulders,  but some genius has gone and done it.

I hope he is raking it in .. he deserves it    _))* _))*
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:03 am »
As you enter Vatican City, there are myriad scrubby little shops and stalls selling all sorts of incredibly tatty memorabilia lining either side of the street which leads to St Peter's Square (which actually isn't. of course).