Poll

Who should pay for the Papal visit to the UK?

The RC church in general
10 (62.5%)
The UK RC church
3 (18.8%)
The UK
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: A place to discuss non-local religious affairs  (Read 15707 times)

Offline Paddy

A place to discuss non-local religious affairs
« on: September 05, 2010, 10:17:07 pm »
Given that the Catholic Church is the wealthiest organisation in the World and the UK is currently in recession. Is it right that we should be footing a £10m bill for a visit from the Pope?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:59:14 am by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Papal Visit.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »
I don't think its a valid use of taxpayers money at this time.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »
Surely, if he's visiting as head of the RC church, it's the same as any local bishop visiting this parish and the church should bear the cost.  Of course, it's been a while since he's been here - long time no see, I suppose you could say....

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:04:43 am »
Just wondering:  I put a poll at the head of this topic, but I suspect it didn't show up in the unread messages section . 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Richard

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
I do not wish to cause any offence and believe that people have the sacracant right to worship as they believe and whilst it may not be 'politicaly correct' to critise this event, in these times of cut-backs in education, health care, jobs and investment, and believe me, the worst is yet to come, it is wholly wrong for the tax payers of the UK to fund £10,000,000 costs for the visit of the head of the richest institution in the world, The Catholic Church.

There is no argument whatsoever that can justify that the costs be paid out of public funds.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, Richard!  :)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:30 am »
Welcome, indeed.  And a cogent argument.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:08 am »
Interesting article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1310358/Those-oppose-Pope-Benedict-XVIs-visit-real-bigots.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I disagree with many of his teachings. But it's those who oppose Pope Benedict XVI's visit who are the real bigots

:votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive: :votive:

However, if the Pope is visiting England  :england: and Scotland  :Scot: then I wouldn't expect the Welsh or the Northern Irish to fork-out anything. But then.........the Queen and the UK Government has invited the Pontiff over.

Another interesting article:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/britons-say-taxpayer-should-not-fund-popes-visit-14933547.html

The poll findings come after it was announced earlier this year that the Government costs of the trip - previously estimated at £8 million - could rise to between £10 million and £12 million.

In addition, the Catholic Church is expected to make a contribution of between £9 million and £10 million towards the costs.

Does this mean that the total bill could be around £20 million?  :o

Nice to see everyone going "Dutch" though - and he isn't even visiting Holland.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:57:51 am by Trojan »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:57 am »
Good point, how on earth can it cost £20m?!  :o

I see no reason why taxpayers money has to be spent on this, the Catholic Church has plenty of money, even after paying out hundreds of millions to the victims of organised child abuse. The Pope is welcome to visit the UK, just don't ask me to pay for it.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:57 pm »
Here here Dave. it's been suggested that the majority of the cost is for security and protection. There's faith for you!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:44 am »
Given the extra police overtime and special branch involvement, if they add it all up as extra costs it could easily reach the figures they're suggesting.

Offline chris99

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:29:47 pm »
Whether or not we agree with the Pope (nope!), or regardless of how rich the RC church is, (yup!) is not really the point. He's a visiting head of state and we have invited him  here.

The fact that there ARE such extensive security costs is partly a reflection of the views of the RC church and the Pope but probably more so a reflection on our society, and the costly intolerence of a small minority. The rest of us will just ignore the visit. Job done.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 05:53:02 pm »
He's a visiting head of state

But of a very odd state and an extremely tiny one. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:48 pm »
Yes, i doubt they'd spend £20m on security if the President of Lichtenstein visited...  :P

Offline Trojan

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »
Yes, i doubt they'd spend £20m on security if the President of Lichtenstein visited...  :P

The Pope doesn't really need security.....  :paranoid: