The Local > Genealogy & Research

Even Hughes

<< < (3/3)

DVT:
Hi anneelaine ...

... I did get your e-mail message so will answer in this posting.  I cannot connect your Hughes family to mine but I do suspect they are linked pre 1830 as there are only a couple of Hughes families in Eglwysbach, going by the info I can see.

...anyway, looking at the 1841 census - the house named Bryn Pwll Budr is actually three different residences, I suspect a terrace.  You asked about Jane Davies who was living with Thomas and Elizabeth Hughes.  In one of the three houses there is a Davies family - William and Ann with their children William (6), Elizabeth (10), Mary (9) and Anne (3).  I suspect those houses would have been small so I wonder if Jane was their daughter but living "next door".  I have no proof of that, so it's a guess.

... in 1851 at the same address you have Thomas and Elizabeth, now with their own children Harriet (10), John (7), Elizabeth (4), Evan (3) and Mary (2 months).

... in 1861 the Hughes's are at 2 Pen-y-Ffordd.  Looking at the original census Pen-y-Fordd is listed next to 3 Bryn Pwll Budr, so it may be that extra houses were built and they had moved just a few yards.  Thomas and Elizbaeth's family now comprises Mary (now 10), Ann (8) Phoebe (5) and Catherine (2).  Evan, as you had previously found, was a servant in Maes Adda.

... so to 1871, and I have found a family in Madoc Street, Llandudno.  There is Thomas Hughes (aged 50, born 1821), Elizabeth (45, 1826) with Ann (17, 1854), Phoebe (14, 1857) and Catherine (12, 1855).  Although the parents ages are a bit out to previous info it is fairly certain this is the correct fmaily, Thomas is a labourer and they were all born in Eglwysbach.

... in 1881 I can find, at 43 Madoc Street Phoebe (age 24) and Catherine (age 22) as the only residents.  Phoebe is shown as housekeeper, Catherine is a teacher.

... in 1891 Phoebe is still at 43 Madoc Street, single, lodging housekeeper, the only other resident is Edward Sutton, a 15-year-old Grocer's Assistant.  I cannot find Catherine in 1891 but she may have married and changed name.

Looking uo baptisms in Eglwysbach I have found Thomas Hughes, baptized 6 April 1817, son of John Hughes and Mary Jones of Coed Golau.  I can also find another child, Anne, baptised 26 December 1814, daughter of John and Mary.

Hope there is something new for you there, and not more confusion.

Regards

Dave

anneelaine:
Dave , thanks for that,
I was thinking that, will put them back on tree, so   Thomas  did leave  all his money to Even, When I looked at his will 1879
 so the Even I was on about looks like it was right  ,so that's good
 Catherine, in 1891 is now Davies husband Owen Davies my great grandfather & mother
Did not have Ann down, so will see what I can find.
Thanks AE  *cycle* Thank you all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version