Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175074 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #555 on: February 02, 2014, 05:38:21 pm »
I wonder how Escape manage to fill their rooms, with room rates of up to £140 per night?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #556 on: February 02, 2014, 06:21:47 pm »
Having read that the event does;nt really help the small hotels because of their costs i don;t feel so bad now if it does;nt continue,shame but i thought it was helping.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #557 on: February 02, 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Having read that the event does;nt really help the small hotels because of their costs i don;t feel so bad now if it does;nt continue,shame but i thought it was helping.

Wrex please don't be downhearted, I was only speaking from my perspective. Last year, 2013 was the first time since 1997 that I was able to venture out over the Bank Holiday week-end and actually enjoy the  extravaganza for what it is.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #558 on: February 02, 2014, 10:42:53 pm »
I wonder how Escape manage to fill their rooms, with room rates of up to £140 per night?

Because it is really good and some companies use it for their executives to stay in the area.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #559 on: February 03, 2014, 08:57:08 am »
Very interesting, Blongb. Here's a question for you - why is it I can obtain a hotel room more cheaply through a site like booking.com than if I contact the hotel directly? I've noticed this several times and it seems to make no sense for the hotel from a financial point of view.

I have no personal knowledge of how bookings.com operate as I consider all those types of sites to be Leaches and refused to allow them access to my rooms. I was very lucky, by providing a direct booking facility on my own website I had no trouble filling my rooms. There again a small 4 Star offering rooms at Llandudno knock down prices is easily filled.

I agree with you Blongb-- you either charge accordingly like some of the aforementioned places who use these booking agencies to cover what they take from you, or you charge less, 'paddle your own canoe' and make a lilttle more.

Consider--- you have the % that these people take( I have been told 15%, but don't quote me on that)-- the fee for  debit/credit card machine (Which you have to have for these things) and the resulting bank and rental charges for same. Then there are things like laundry ( if you use one), staff ( if you have any) and all the usual expenses of rates, insurance etc, etc.

Also-- if a booking is taken by these people, if you aren't careful, certain people book a double room and then appear with any amount of hangers on, be they children or whatever and traipse in! Friends have had this many times and without anything else the fire inspectors wouldn't be pleased with a room crammed with people complete with cooking pots and large families !

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #560 on: February 03, 2014, 08:30:51 pm »
Also-- if a booking is taken by these people, if you aren't careful, certain people book a double room and then appear with any amount of hangers on, be they children or whatever and traipse in! Friends have had this many times and without anything else the fire inspectors wouldn't be pleased with a room crammed with people complete with cooking pots and large families !
When "certain people" called to book a room with us, we always asked them to confirm how many people the room was being booked for. (The importance of being in control of your own booking system) Some were most indignant when they were told it would not be acceptable for their mother-in-law to sleep on the floor. Also had a single woman parent accuse me of discrimination because I wouldn't accept a family room booking for herself and her four children.  &shake&

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #561 on: February 04, 2014, 08:33:34 am »
I see that you get my drift Blongb. This is just what I mean and if the booking is made by some outside agency you get what they send !
Also Saturday tea time, you answer the bell and find someone lurching around, lager can in hand wanting somewhere to sleep it off before the next round, you have suddenly  found that you let the last room 10 mins ago !

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #562 on: February 04, 2014, 01:21:50 pm »
Just had a little look at daytrips to the extravaganza as i do every year(sad i know,so do all you) and its nice to see the coach firms already advertising the event,many end up bringing 3 even 4 coaches for the day so we know the event works i just wish i could explain to our buisnesses how much wed need their support without being negative.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #563 on: February 04, 2014, 03:33:20 pm »
The main negativity is the fact that you keep telling everyone that there are no beds left in the town !! ;D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #564 on: February 04, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »
The main negativity is the fact that you keep telling everyone that there are no beds left in the town !! ;D

The Mrs and I could put up 4 people each night at £60 per double room, sharing a bathroom, and including breakfast and parking.  We might as well make a few bob whilst the chance is going!

:D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #565 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:21 pm »
Yorkie make sure its only 3 nights allowed,so thats £360 to you,£20 should see you ok for 3 brekfasts for4,have one yourself,imagine if you had 10 rooms.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #566 on: February 04, 2014, 07:28:23 pm »
Yorkie make sure its only 3 nights allowed,so thats £360 to you,£20 should see you ok for 3 brekfasts for4,have one yourself,imagine if you had 10 rooms.

As mentioned in a previous post, we did have an Hotel in the Town, so know a little bit about things!  As for having 10 rooms, no thanks!  I retired 16 years ago and have done my bit for the Country!   The Country can support me now.   
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

« Reply #567 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »

As mentioned in a previous post, we did have an Hotel in the Town, so know a little bit about things!  As for having 10 rooms, no thanks!  I retired 16 years ago and have done my bit for the Country!   The Country can support me now.   
 ZXZ

Here here. $drink$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »
We are losing three very good members at the end of this years event and unless we replace them soon it will be very hard to continue,so it may not be the lack of support or help that finally ends our event.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »
Glad to say we are really working hard for this years event,im glad to see most hotels full and many coaches coming in for daytrips to the extravaganza,no steam train this year but it is coming for the air show,we bhave a little suprise on the Sat afternoon and we hope to have the Welsh fusiliers band.