Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 175247 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2013, 12:01:39 pm »
Sorry Bellringer,that was the plan but as it was the last ride to go up i was tucked up in bed when they decided they would build the ride in the wrong position,yes maybe i should have been there all night but i give enought time as it is without me losing my beauty sleep lol.I can tell you there will be no mistakes this year.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2013, 07:39:50 pm »
   The last two posts made for pleasant reading, I might add for a change.

The first, a reasonable request made in a friendly non aggressive manner.

The second a polite response and a reasonable explanation of what happened in the past and what was planned for the future.

Oh if only all topics were conducted in this manner  Mike

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2013, 10:32:34 pm »
Sorry Bellringer,that was the plan but as it was the last ride to go up i was tucked up in bed when they decided they would build the ride in the wrong position,yes maybe i should have been there all night but i give enought time as it is without me losing my beauty sleep lol.I can tell you there will be no mistakes this year.

Thanks Wrex.

As you know access is required not only for church people doing things on the premises but also for bodies such as the St John's Ambulance.

Offline Minime

« Reply #498 on: October 13, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »
We go lymm dickensian which is in december each year.  Schools all get involved and dress up in victorian clobber, santa comes throwing sweets, always well attended and something rather nice getting a hot choc with truffle :)
The local scouts make xmas wreaths, a few local craft traders etc
Obviously llandudnos is in may which hopefully is warmer.  Lymm do a festival around june and one of the things is the scarecrows.  You register (for small fee) & put it on display then people buy a map for a quid and it shows you the locations of them all which is good fun.
Anything goes really so you might see sponge bob up a tree.

I also agree with the previous comment of the victorian organ or puppet show for the kids on the prom or in one of the parks.
Pwllheli do a raft race, ive seen upturned reliant robins racing before now and thats well attended

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2013, 11:29:59 pm »
Wrex, serious suggestion... the Victorian Wrestling Booth about 3 years ago was fantastic and well attended.

It was certainly in keeping with the Victorian tradition,  is it still doing the rounds?   Could it be brought back?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #500 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:59 am »
It could but we had to pay for them to bring it,now of course sponsorship could be sort but its a case of finding somebody with plenty of spare time and who is good at approaching local buisnesses,that is the problem.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:55 am »
Something a lot of people don't realise is just how much of the Extravaganza has to be paid for by the organising committee. Might be worth putting last year's accounts in here, Wrex.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #502 on: October 14, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »
Will do as soon as their sorted.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #503 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:22 am »
I think what might help is a list of attractions & potential attractions on the website, together with a specific sponsorship amount next to it.

So, something like:

Fester's Wrestling Booth - Sponsorship Cost £500

Then, both organisations and maybe individuals could see exactly what was needed, making it easier for all concerned.

As a matter of interest, Wrex, do you have a rough amount needed to bring the wrestling booth back?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #504 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:43 pm »
Will find out Dave

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #505 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:30 am »
Will find out Dave
Cheers, mate.  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:27 pm »
Now the hard work starts sorting out this years event,we are desperate for some young blood,it can;t last much longer without younger members with fresh ideas and plenty of get up and go.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2014, 09:43:41 pm »
Now the hard work starts sorting out this years event,we are desperate for some young blood,it can;t last much longer without younger members with fresh ideas and plenty of get up and go.

You are probably THE youngest member of this Forum.   But, I cannae wait for the Extravaganza!  ZXZ Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2014, 09:03:38 am »

What about us old Codgers, who have years of experience of dealing with all sorts of matters?   Consigned to the Scrap Heap?  Think again Wrex, maybe you have your priorities wrong, or are just a little mis-guided.  There is no substitute for experience, and plenty of older people still have the enthusiasm and fire in their bellies to take on a difficult task and see it through! 
 :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2014, 11:05:51 am »
t can;t last much longer without younger members with fresh ideas and plenty of get up and go

They've been saying much the same thing for the past 24 years, Wrex :-)) One problem is the Extravaganza doesn't appeal to younger folk. Another is that younger folk have less time to spare.

But here's an idea: instead of making a blanket appeal for "younger members with fresh ideas" why doesn't the committee draw up a precise list of jobs that need doing? Then you simply ask for people to do those jobs and - as long as you have a decently designed job description - you might get lucky and find some younger folk to do them.

But the 'fresh ideas' thing is a bit of a loss-leader, since just about every idea has been tried in one form or another. There are people you need - I agree - but they are those with specific skill-sets, such as writing (for the programme composition), sales (for the advertising revenue), finance (for the accounting aspects), liaison and communication (for the Police, Council, Fairground, Parade), Management (possibly the most crucial, since a lot of unpaid people with an eclectic mix of attitudes and abilities need managing to get the best out of them), performance  (for the on-street performers), Health and Safety..I could go on, but I'm sure you get the gist.

There's also a depressing pattern to committee meetings which I'm sure you've noticed. At the outset, a lot of folk turn up, brimming with enthusiasm and ideas. As the reality bites, with the multiple issues that seem to conspire to prevent implementation of ideas, there's a significant drop-off in attendance and by the time of the eventual event, it's surprising how it all seems to come down to the same small group. It's not unique to the Extravaganza, of course; that same pattern exists within just about every voluntary society. But it's still a problem.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.