Members' Lounge > Hobbies and Interests

Bellringing

<< < (2/31) > >>

Ian:
Are they sponsored by HSBC?

Bellringer:
I cannot give a definite "yes" or "no" to that Ian, but I would have thought not.

There are in fact lots of bellringers who apart from being members of their regional associations, belong to a group such as this one and meet on say an annual basis by way of reunion or the such like.
The name of one group I know call themselves "The Rambling Ringers" and it conjures up an image in my mind of in days gone by, them wandering from village/town and ringing bells whenever they chanced to reach a church tower.
I will see if I can come up with some other unusual titles.

Bellringer:
You may or may not be surprised that there is a weekly publication for bellringers called unsurprisingly "The Ringing World".

A quick glance at this week's edition reminds me of The Ancient Society of College Youths and the Society of Royal Cumberland Youths, two very well known guilds in bellringing circles.
Mention is also made of the Guild of Post and Telecom Ringers.

Ian:
Bell-ringing retains enormous popularity in the home counties, but it's my impression that rural and semi-rural areas are where it seems to flourish.  

Bellringer:
I'm not sure that's true Ian - there are "hot spots" both in town and country and of course a distinct shortage of ringers in certain parts of both.

Most of the universities have guilds of ringers and they are generally well supported by the students - Bangor has such a guild.

There is also a Clerical Guild of Bellringers - quite a number of clergy are in fact bellringers

For more information see www.cccbr.org.uk and www.ringingworld.co.uk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version