Author Topic: General Covid 19 news  (Read 98508 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: General Covid 19 news
« Reply #480 on: June 02, 2021, 06:04:56 pm »
That news is quite disturbing and people in the areas affected by the Indian variant should take advantage of the offer to be tested.
Deganwy wasn't mentioned but it's within that triangle of places listed

Offline pebbles

« Reply #481 on: June 03, 2021, 12:23:08 am »
After last nights football whats the betting the Covid numbers go up in the next 2/3 weeks especially in the Manchester area.

Not much notice being taken of protocols in Portugal or this country.

To be fair those who went to Porto had to take a test in the 24 hours before boarding the plane, and a test to get home again.

but yes too many people in general are just acting like it is over, and not wearing masks, or being right by each other.

We have been so so so careful, i wear two masks when out, still in over 12 months have not set foot in a shop, or a cafe, my little boy misses his museums and things but we go to the great outdoors. He will start school in Sept so i am nervous (he has not been to nursery as i have an elderly mum to care for so we wanted to keep the virus out). I am due my 2nd dose in early July, wish it was sooner.

But i have my holiday in llandudno coming up, but i worry that being from the dreaded northwest of england we will end up all stopped from entering wales, i have reason to fear as i had to cancel my holiday last year as wales only opened the border the days after our holiday would have ended... I promise you if we get to llandudno you will never meet more careful people (in fact you wont even meet us as we will be more than 2 metres away at all times!), i just so want to give our son a holiday... we managed a few day trips (choosing grey days so it wasn't packed).  I just need to see my place, my deep love for llandudno... i wish i could live there. I am so sick of the world, especially round here.

anyway, haven't posted in ages (though read you guys quite often), just wanted to pop up about the football comment!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2021, 09:26:29 am »
Hello Pebbles. thanks for posting and it's good to hear that you and the family have been keeping safe and sound in these strange times.

This pandemic has affected most people in different ways but it's good to hear that you have been sensible about taking the precautions and I just wish that we all had the same attitude as the virus isn't going away as quick as it should

I hope that you get your second vaccine soon and that you can have that long awaited visit to Llandudno that you are so looking forward to.    I enjoyed looking at those photos of the West Shore that you posted some years ago and although I can remember quite clearly those steps on the sea defence I'm afraid that that area has changed a lot.
Still there's lots to see and do in the town

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #483 on: June 03, 2021, 10:51:08 am »
This article is from the Bristol area, I believe a sister paper of the DP, so I am assuming it will be in in the group's papers.

Warning to tourists after '35 more' Indian covid cases found in Wales holiday resorts
People who have been to the afflicted areas are being urged to take a test even if they have no coronavirus symptoms

People who visited seaside holiday resorts over the Bank Holiday weekend should book coronavirus tests due to an 'outbreak' of Indian covid cases.

The caution from health officials comes after dozens of new cases of the Indian variant of concern were found in two coastal areas of Wales.

Wales Online reports that Public Health Wales confirmed that 35 confirmed or presumptive cases of the variant, first identified in India (VOC-21APR-02), are in Llandudno Junction, Llandudno and Penrhyn Bay areas of north Wales

cont  https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/warning-tourists-after-35-more-5481563?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Also a piece in the Express...
Delta (Indian)variant: Wales sees ‘very serious’ cluster of Covid cases - lockdown delay fears
WALES has seen "very serious" clusters of Delta variant Covid cases.

It has prompted warnings from officials about a delay to the end of lockdown restrictions in the country. The Delta variant, first detected in India, has began spreading rapidly in Llandudno Junction, Llandudno and Penrhyn Bay areas over the bank holiday weekend.

cont  https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1444752/delta-variant-Wales-Indian-variant-cluster-very-serious-lockdown-delay-end-ont?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: General Covid 19 news.........Stop Press
« Reply #484 on: June 03, 2021, 04:05:46 pm »
RESIDENTS of both Conwy and Denbighshire are being invited to get their first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine tomorrow (Friday, June 4).

Anyone aged between 18 and 39 years old can attend the drop-in session at Ysbyty Enfys Llandudno Venue Cymru between 9am to 7.30pm.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) say that this session is available for Conwy and Denbighshire residents to get their first vaccination only, who may have had difficulty already attending due to their work commitments.

The statement from BCUHB added: "This is on a first-come, first served basis.

"No appointment is needed, but please be prepared to wait and queue.

"If you have an existing appointment, please keep to the original date."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #485 on: June 04, 2021, 12:50:21 pm »
Hundreds isolating in Llandudno area as health bosses try to bring Delta variant cluster under control
First Minister Mark Drakeford said around 300 people had been told to isolate

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hundreds-isolating-llandudno-area-health-20740316

Offline SteveH

« Reply #486 on: June 04, 2021, 01:31:08 pm »
Majority of covid patients in hospital are unvaccinated as cases of new Delta variant soar
A leading scientist and Government adviser confirmed the data

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/majority-covid-patients-hospital-unvaccinated-20740518

Offline SteveH

Re: General Covid 19 news...........Local testing
« Reply #487 on: June 04, 2021, 03:32:17 pm »
MORE than 1,300 lateral flow test packs have been delivered across Conwy county over the past five days.

People living in Llandudno Junction, Llandudno and Penrhyn Bay are being urged to get a free Coronavirus test to help stop the spread of the Delta variant of Coronavirus (VOC-21APR-02), even if they have no symptoms.

People in Rhos on Sea, Colwyn Bay, Old Colwyn and Deganwy are now also being urged to come forward for a free test.

About 380 people came forward for a PCR test, and more than 1,300 lateral flow test packs were distributed at two special testing units between May 29 and June 3.

A total of 54 confirmed, probable or possible cases of the variant have so far been found in the area.

Residents without symptoms are urged to collect a free lateral flow test from a mobile testing unit at Ysgol Awel y Mynydd, Sarn Mynach, Llandudno Junction, Conwy, LL31 9RZ.

The site will be open until Sunday, June 6, after which it will be relocated to Bodlondeb, Conwy LL32 8DU until Monday, June 14.

People who have Coronavirus symptoms, however mild, are also urged to get a free PCR test at a mobile testing unit at Conwy Business Centre, Junction Way, Llandudno Junction. The site will be open until Monday, June 14.

Opening times for the units is 8am to 1pm, and 2pm to 8pm every day. The sites are walk-in and drive-through, and no appointment is required.

Alternatively, members of the public can access the existing drive-through testing facility on Builder Street in Llandudno, which is open 8am to 1pm seven days a week. To access this site, people will need to make an appointment by visiting the Welsh Government website or by phoning 119.

The site is also open for lateral flow self-testing kits collection from 2pm to 8pm each day (drive-through).

Richard Firth, Consultant in Health Protection for Public Health Wales, and Chair of the multi-agency Incident Management Team, said: “A huge thank you to everyone in the community who has come forward for testing. By getting a test you have helped to limit the spread of the Delta variant.

“Although the cases we have identified are linked, please remember that the Delta variant is circulating.
"Please stay at least two metres away from others, wash your hands regularly, and wear a face covering where required.
“Please take up the vaccine when offered, and self-isolate and get a test if you or anyone in your household develop symptoms.”

As well as the three most common symptoms of Coronavirus - a fever, a new continuous cough, or a loss/change of taste and smell - people are now able to get a test if they have any of a new list of other symptoms too.

These are: Flu-like symptoms, which are not caused by a known condition such as hay fever, including any or all of: myalgia (muscle ache or pain); excessive tiredness; persistent headache; runny nose or blocked nose; persistent sneezing; sore throat and/or hoarseness, shortness of breath or wheezing; any new or change in symptoms following a previous negative test.

Full article  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19350670.1-300-lateral-flow-test-packs-distributed-conwy-surge-indian-variant-cases/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #488 on: June 04, 2021, 03:34:06 pm »
This may sound a silly question but why have they changed the name of the Indian variant to Delta?

There now seems to be another variant called the Nepal variant. but I don't know much about that one.

I can only remember only Donald Trump referring  to the virus as the Chinese Flu, but there must be numerous theories on who started it.  China seems to be in control of the virus and there was a small article in the Daily Mirror today by an ex-MI6 chief who claims that the Wuhan Institute of Virology may have been working on the virus.    he added that we don't know what has happened but a lot of data have probably been destroyed or made to disappear.
What a horrible thought if it was found to be true.     A rare form of bird flu has affected one person so far, where did it happen?     China!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #489 on: June 04, 2021, 04:35:31 pm »
Good point Hugo. I have read there is also a Kenyan variant. I suspect there may be sensitivities about labelling variants according to countries where first detected, although our forebears seem to have had no problem with the term Spanish Flu.

One thing which does not seem to reported is the actual number of cases in Conwy which have resulted in patients being admitted to hospital.  The general silence may indicate there are none - thus far at least. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #490 on: June 04, 2021, 06:43:28 pm »
One thing which does not seem to reported is the actual number of cases in Conwy which have resulted in patients being admitted to hospital.  The general silence may indicate there are none - thus far at least.

If there are no admissions to Hospital then that's a great thing but I think that they did mentioned that 300 people in the area have to isolate themselves.
They also said that of the people who were tested and had the Indian/Delta variant a great many had not had a vaccination.   Just who are these people who have not had the vaccinations?
Anyway I don't think that I'll be going out for an Indian this weekend!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #491 on: June 05, 2021, 10:12:27 am »
Urgent update for anyone who's had the Pfizer vaccine as cases of Delta variant spike
The vaccine has primarily been given to those under 30

That's a bit scary to read especially as the Indian    AKA Delta variant is on the increase in our local area

Last night I heard on TV someone refer to the Kent variant as the Alpha variant, what on earth is going on?    Are they changing all the names of the variants using the Greek or phonetic alphabets?         

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/urgent-update-anyone-whos-pfizer-20741995

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #492 on: June 05, 2021, 10:35:28 am »
The Indian government objected to the naming of the variant as 'the Indian variant'. The WHO sheepishly agreed and suggested naming all variants in alphabetical order of their discovery, like storms.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 12:43:23 pm by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2021, 10:41:10 am »
Hogo "Are they changing all the names of the variants using the Greek or phonetic alphabets?   

Hugo, yes the WHO have decided it causes less of a stigma, than naming countries etc,

WHO today called on scientists, national authorities and the media to follow best practices in naming new human infectious diseases to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.WHO issues best practices for naming new human infectious diseases

cont https://www.who.int/news/item/08-05-2015-who-issues-best-practices-for-naming-new-human-infectious-diseases

Offline Hugo

« Reply #494 on: June 05, 2021, 11:47:27 am »
Thanks for that information Steve and I understand what they are saying although it seems very much OTT.     In any case this is the China virus and the other variants are just mutations of the original.    As the China virus was the first one perhaps the WHO should have named the China virus as the Alpha one

On a more personal note Colwyn Bay,  Old Colwyn,  Rhos on Sea and Deganwy have been added to the list of N Wales towns advised to have a test for the Covid virus

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-four-more-north-wales-20743511