Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 88173 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2021, 01:42:15 pm »
We are almost at the 12 month stage of lockdowns and rules and where has it taken us to? An even more severe crisis than we had in the first place.

It can be argued that it was the slackening off of restrictions that have created the current dire situation.  But in terms of whether lock downs achieve their aim, I suppose we can only look to those countries that have imposed rigorous lock downs, such as New Zealand and Australia, to see if it works.

New Zealand imposed a draconian lock down at the outset and have more or less seen the virus off. Australia appears similar and virologists and epidemiologists here both warned strongly against relaxing the rules for Xmas. Seems they were right.

I don't profess to know much about the lockdowns in Australia and New Zealand but I was under the impression that it was more about stopping foreign travel at a very early stage , trying to isolate those found to have the virus and moving on from there. It was more an international lockdown than a national one which was made easier by their geographical position and make up. Wasn't a cruise liner full of foreign tourists also held responsible for spreading the virus there too?
I was in Sri Lanka in January and the day before we were due to fly home the first case of the virus had been detected in the airport. A Chinese lady on her way home was the unfortunate. It was weird arriving in the airport to find many, many people already wearing face masks so soon. It was also noted that temperature monitoring cameras were already operating at various strategic positions such as the top of escalators.
None of that happened here of course and far too many people were far too quick to jump on a plane somewhere as soon as was allowed with the governments blessing. Bit silly wasn't it! The warnings still weren't heeded though and there were those as recently as last month complaining when they were given just a days notice to get back home again before facing quarantine periods.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #451 on: January 11, 2021, 03:10:48 pm »
Surely, the cost of a potential claim from being sued will be far outweighed by the number of lives eventually saved by individuals being vaccinated much sooner?

Offline Dave

« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2021, 03:41:44 pm »
We live in strange times Bri.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51180944

Having experienced  a case of negligence at first hand I have to say sometimes there is good reason to take matters further. In my case it wasn't for monetary gain but to try and prevent anyone else being treated the same way as my late wife was. That was 35 years ago and times have changed. In those days they simply closed ranks and shut up shop and you didn't even have access to your medical records. I wasn't successful in my attempts and was greatly saddened to hear my ex GP had treated another cancer sufferer in exactly the same way, telling them their pain was imagined.
Now people are trying to make money out of the slightest error which might be as insignificant as serving a meat meal to a veggie.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: January 11, 2021, 06:41:24 pm »
I don't profess to know much about the lockdowns in Australia and New Zealand but I was under the impression that it was more about stopping foreign travel at a very early stage , trying to isolate those found to have the virus and moving on from there.

Indeed. NZ and Australia closed their borders. It seems to have worked.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2021, 11:06:21 pm »
Furious mum 'ambushed' and fined as families hide from police at Snowdonia beauty spot
The Colwyn Bay mother was convinced she wasn't breaking Covid rule when she took her two children to Aber Falls
It's just over 15 miles from Colwyn Bay to Aberfalls

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/furious-mum-ambushed-fined-families-19604488

Offline Hugo

« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2021, 10:06:41 am »
A comment by the Colwyn Bay woman was that     "she was stopped by an “unsympathetic” WPC as she led her two children down from Aber Falls, Abergwyngregyn, after a family walk on Saturday afternoon".
I'm afraid that ignorance and stupidity are not an excuse in law so the only one she should be furious with is herself

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #456 on: January 12, 2021, 03:16:30 pm »
North Wales lockdown restrictions and coronavirus cases in full - January 12 update   with Post code checker
The latest Covid-19 cases and restrictions for Wales - updated daily

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-lockdown-restrictions-coronavirus-19017420

Offline Hugo

« Reply #457 on: January 12, 2021, 03:37:15 pm »
Cops pledge to dish out more fines to Covidiots as they issue 'no dress rehearsal' warning, not before time either.         $good$                   The Police have a difficult enough job to do without all these idiots making it worse

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cops-pledge-dish-out-more-19609778

Offline Hugo

« Reply #458 on: January 12, 2021, 07:05:54 pm »
A comment by the Colwyn Bay woman was that     "she was stopped by an “unsympathetic” WPC as she led her two children down from Aber Falls, Abergwyngregyn, after a family walk on Saturday afternoon".
I'm afraid that ignorance and stupidity are not an excuse in law so the only one she should be furious with is herself

Police issue statement about the woman from Colwyn Bay 

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-issue-statement-mum-ambushed-19612254

Offline Hugo

« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2021, 10:14:14 am »
Rule-breakers from 'out of the area' visited Great Orme on way to York
Police say the four have been reported for breaching Covid regulations

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rule-breakers-out-area-visited-19613086

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #460 on: January 14, 2021, 10:16:43 am »
Covid: Are we following the government's stay-at-home message?

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has urged people to, "stay at home and reduce all social contact that is not absolutely necessary".

But are people acting on his advice and how does their behaviour compare with previous lockdowns?

What does the data show?      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55626008

Offline Dave

« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:04 pm »
Some interesting facts there Steve, thanks for sharing.

Of course the one big factor to take in to account of late has been the weather too. Nothing like a day like today to keep everyone indoors!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #462 on: January 16, 2021, 12:02:00 pm »
Covidiots drove 300 miles from Scotland to Anglesey 'without car insurance' to visit friends
They were stopped by officers from North Wales Police near Amlwch

I hope that the Police seized the car and sent them packing              $good$

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/covidiots-drove-300-mile-scotland-19638538

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #463 on: January 16, 2021, 01:57:09 pm »
Hugo but how did it take the police that long to stop them, everyday we are on the westshore and packed with cars, where are the police they could park by the pumping station and ask nicely where are they from, you can tell when they are not local they think they can stroke the goats 😂😂

Offline Hugo

« Reply #464 on: January 16, 2021, 02:20:16 pm »
I've no idea Norman.     I have seen Police cars on the West Shore web cam driving down the promenade but never stopping so I don't know what their policy is.
Perhaps it would be more pro active if they got out of the cars and interacted with the public.

As for the Goats, next time you are on the West Shore put a sign on the car park ticket machine.      BOG OFF  ( But one,  Goat free ) and perhaps these " tourists " can take one of the smelly things back home