Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 88187 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #390 on: December 11, 2020, 03:04:33 pm »
ADDITIONAL measures have been announced in a bid to control the soaring levels of coronavirus across Wales.

At the press conference on December 11, First Minister Mark Drakeford said coronavirus in Wales had worsened over the last two-weeks, but today it was 'now very serious indeed' after deteriorating further.

He added that the fire-break period helped to bring down the spread of the virus but it has regained its foothold on communities. It is spreading 'faster than models predicted' and now holds a firm grasp in some parts of Wales

The First Minister confirmed that over 1,900 patients are in hospital with coronavirus and it continues to rise.
He added that if it continues to rise, 'we could see 2,500 with coronavirus in hospital by Christmas day'.

The FM said a large number of people who catch the virus go on to have a serious illness afterwards, they need expert care from the health service.

Mr Drakeford went on to say that NHS staff have done an 'incredible job' in difficult circumstances but there is 'only so much we can ask of them'.

He added that the NHS will not be able to cope if we continue to see these levels of covid-19 admissions in the coming weeks on top of normal winter pressures.
He said 'the future remains in our hands' and if we act together and reduce those we see, 'we can change the course of this virus'.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18938157.outdoor-attractions-close-wales-first-minister-announces/

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2020, 04:43:25 pm »
All outdoor visitor attractions in Wales to be closed until at least Christmas ... so Mark Drakeford has announced today.

Having been allowed back to my volunteering job this week, after nine months away, I am really disappointed that's it for this year, not allowed back next week, Bodnant Garden will be closed.

I have met only a small few people who have been tested - but it does seem to me that they have not been asked for important information ... put simply, where have you been in the past month.

Have all the people who have tested positive been somewhere where there was a crowd, or have they been isolating.  If the former, then it should give some clue as to where to concentrate restrictions.  If the latter, then big problem.  Track and trace is of no use if you haven't got the app and enter the info of where you go.

To me, statistics is a tool to prove what you want it to prove, so throwing out the big numbers just scares people - but that's what the media like.  Looking at the figures that SteveH has posted - the number of tests is only 3% of the population and only 5% of that 3% is positive ... so where has that 0.15% been to pick it up.

One death is one too many, but how long is it between catching the virus and dying.  I know they say within 28 days but be more precise, where has that person been when they caught it - no precise way of knowing unless that have only been to one mass gathering.

To me, there is a lot of information that has either not been asked for, or is not being compiled, assessed and publicised.

Having stuck to the rules and was looking forward to visiting daughter and family at Christmas in Liverpool I am really fed up of the government(s) moving the goalposts so often, headless chickens come to mind - I admit it's a difficult situation but seems they have no idea what to do.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2020, 06:53:04 pm »
I sympathise very much with you DVT.  One thing which does puzzle me is the reporting of cases.  These are treated by the media as cumulative figures.  The figures given for hospital admissions can presumably be off-set by those discharged as "cured" but this never seems to be made clear to me at least.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: December 11, 2020, 06:53:21 pm »
I agree. The entire thing has been mishandled from day 1. And refusing to close schools early makes no sense.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »
Coronavirus: Court issues thousands in lockdown fines in a day, a hard lesson but will they ever learn?         $good$
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54903578

DVT  response    None in north Wales ... ???     

Hugo's response,    I may have some figures if I send out a FOI request so watch this space

Well this is the reply I had to my FOI request           &shake&

Offline DVT

« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »
That is an amazing response!  In this day and age when we are all being controlled by statistics (whether true or not) North Wales Police cannot supply the requested info because they haven't made a note.  I know they want to cut down on paperwork but surely it shouldn't be too difficult to log "offences".

Offline Hugo

« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2020, 03:31:07 pm »
I couldn't believe the response either DVT it's not what I expected.

The figures must be out there somewhere but I'm not going to follow it up.     My own feelings are that Dyfed Powys were able to supply their figures and they were impressive but I don't think that the N Wales Police had the same approach, especially while England was in lockdown

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #397 on: December 12, 2020, 09:50:41 pm »
I couldn't believe the response either DVT it's not what I expected.

The figures must be out there somewhere but I'm not going to follow it up.     My own feelings are that Dyfed Powys were able to supply their figures and they were impressive but I don't think that the N Wales Police had the same approach, especially while England was in lockdown

Time for a reassessment of who we elect as Police Commissioner perhaps ?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline mull

« Reply #398 on: December 13, 2020, 11:08:34 am »
Sums up the attitude of the Police all over the UK., ie

We are understaffed so do not log most of the incidents. Makes us look good by keeping the crime figures down.
This has been going on for while.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2020, 10:35:35 am »
Another high profile case of "do as I say and not do as I do"

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/dr-hilary-mask-forgot-shop-19466506

Offline DVT

« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2020, 01:34:58 pm »
I would hope that the person who sold the photograph donates his/her "earnings" to the NHS Charity.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #401 on: December 16, 2020, 02:37:29 pm »
Lockdown rules: What Covid tier is your area in and what are the restrictions?

Find out what the rules are in your area of the UK, by entering your postcode below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54373904

Offline Dave

Offline Hugo

« Reply #403 on: December 16, 2020, 07:31:30 pm »
Here's the number of fines issued by NWP
http://www.deeside.com/north-wales-police-adopts-tougher-stance-against-coronavirus-rule-breakers-as-number-of-fines-issued-hits-583/

Thanks Dave for posting that information and it's good to hear that the North Wales Police are actually enforcing the law.     I wonder why they replied to my FOI  request in the way they did?     &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #404 on: December 22, 2020, 03:36:50 pm »
Mark Drakeford gives Christmas presents exemption that won't breach lockdown rules
The Welsh First Minister's advice on the 'important' act of sharing gifts came in a letter to a North Wales MS

Mark Drakeford has said people can leave Christmas presents on doorsteps or exchange them outdoors despite lockdown rules.

The First Minister said that the methods could be used to continue the "important" act of sharing gifts during the festive period.
The advice comes despite lockdown rules stating any journeys must be essential and people cannot meet outdoors.

cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mark-drakeford-gives-christmas-presents-19505760