Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 70194 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2020, 07:25:41 pm »
I've read about the virustatic snoods that have been developed by Manchester University and a firm from Menai Bridge but don't know if they are available to buy online.
Jason Mountford was pictured wearing one when he went into Tesco's but it didn't say where he got his from
Has anyone got any information on this?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2020, 09:37:00 am »
Still looking...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2020, 09:40:42 am »
I've read about the virustatic snoods that have been developed by Manchester University and a firm from Menai Bridge but don't know if they are available to buy online.
Jason Mountford was pictured wearing one when he went into Tesco's but it didn't say where he got his from
Has anyone got any information on this?

Try this Hugo, https://www.virustaticshield.com/

£20 each
Description
Virustatic Shield is a brand-new protective product for the whole family*. Created by scientists and approved by biochemists, it helps stop the spread of airborne viruses. Suitable for all ages. Virustatic Shield protects against pathogens like coronavirus. The lightweight, reusable shield moulds to your face. It can be worn for hours at a time.

Virustatic Shield results from collaboration between world-leading scientists and Manchester University. The unique antiviral coating and fabric remain effective for up to three hand washes. It offers unrivalled protection. The shield is easy to fit and adjust so that it comfortably covers your ears, nose and mouth.

Wearing this shield, while following official hygiene guidelines minimises the risk of spreading infection.

It helps protect you and your family against coronavirus and other airborne viruses.

*Please note your Virustatic Shield can be easily sized to fit tight around your nose, ears and mouth.  Accessories include male, female and children’s hair accessories e.g. clips, ties, bobbles, section clips, grips, butterfly clips or fitted under the back of a cap. Ensure that the fabric is not pierced once fitted.

*For wholesale or bulk orders please email enquiries@virustaticshield.com.
*All orders will be despatched within 5 – 7 days of ordering.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2020, 12:07:57 pm »
There was an article in the Daily Mirror yesterday that I didn't read because the photos were so repulsive.    The filthy and disgusting conditions in Asia's wildlife market are a "ticking  time bomb" for new deadly pandemics, experts say

Previous killer diseases SARS and Bird Flu were traced to similar sites and fears are that ongoing wet market sales will spawn  new deadly diseases

It's time that these countries sorted themselves out because it's not only affecting their countries but every other country in the world

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2020, 01:43:41 pm »
I purchased 2 of the snoods on Tuesday they are £20 each plus £4.20 delivery. I haven't received them yet but did have an e-mail telling me they would be delivered a bit later than normal, due to the demand. I did have problems finding the site so Googled Menai Science Park, then clicked on Tenant Companies, Virustatic Shield is on the 9th row down & all the info is on there for ordering.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2020, 01:52:33 pm »
I purchased 2 of the snoods on Tuesday they are £20 each plus £4.20 delivery. I haven't received them yet but did have an e-mail telling me they would be delivered a bit later than normal, due to the demand. I did have problems finding the site so Googled Menai Science Park, then clicked on Tenant Companies, Virustatic Shield is on the 9th row down & all the info is on there for ordering.

Snap, we have ordered a couple, I found the link after Hugo's request for info.   details above,  https://www.virustaticshield.com/  But I don't think we will be using ours for some time, but definitely need them later.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »

It's time that these countries sorted themselves out because it's not only affecting their countries but every other country in the world

China banned all wildlife markets permanently shortly after the outbreak.  The fear is that it will simply drive the trade underground. Corruption in Communist countries is vast. And we should remember it doesn't solve the problem; Ebola outbreaks have never originated in wildlife markets in Asia yet are far more deadly that Covid, as was AIDS.  Many are starting to believe the real problem is our insatiable desire to plunder our own planetary resources.

By pushing further and further into previously unexplored areas, we're forcing wildlife and their associated pathogens to move towards us.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2020, 03:07:36 pm »
From the BBC:

Why Social Distancing is so important.

On Friday the UK experienced its biggest increase in deaths so far. Confirmed cases in the UK are doubling every three or four days. Deaths are growing faster, doubling every two or three days.

This isn't all cases, just the confirmed ones. That's because testing is mainly only carried out on those ill enough to be hospitalised, not those with mild symptoms, and so the true number of cases is higher.

Experts in the field would expect those wider cases to also follow a similar pattern: doubling every few days. That's because viruses multiply and so do the numbers of people infected by them. They keep multiplying at a constant rate until they run out of people to infect or measures to slow the spread take effect.

In reality, doubling speeds often fluctuate until an epidemic reaches a big enough number, say 100 cases. Since that point, confirmed cases in the UK have doubled every 3.3 days.

Thankfully, there haven't been enough deaths in the UK yet for us to draw a settled trend from 100, so our trend line starts from 10.

At the moment, deaths are growing faster than confirmed cases, doubling every 2.5 days. As of 27 March, the UK has seen 759 deaths. If the speed of doubling continued, we would expect to see another 750 deaths in the following three days and 1,500 in the 2.5 days after that. But is that speed faster or slower in the UK than in other countries?

But experts in viruses and epidemics have cautioned against assuming that countries will follow the same trajectory, even if there are similarities in early figures from each country.

There are some things that will be the same the world over like how long the virus takes to become infectious in someone's body. But how an outbreak develops after that depends on what measures countries take and when they act, and China brought in restrictions sooner than many other countries.

Scientists expect that each infected person will infect about 2.5 other people on average. As each of them infect another 2.5 and so on, a month multiplying at that pace leads to more than 400 new infections.

Halving that infection rate means that after a month, we'd expect to see just 15 new infections - a 95% reduction. That's because a small difference in the infection rate builds and builds to make a big difference in the number of people becoming infected. That's why social distancing is so important.

[smg id=4129]

Offline Hugo

« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2020, 03:29:03 pm »

Thanks Meleri for providing that step by step guide for buying those snoods, without the guide I don't think that I would have found it.
Thanks Steve as well for providing the link and your e-mail it's nice that forum members can be so helpful and I have now ordered two snoods ( his & hers )          $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2020, 11:37:02 am »
Coronavirus: Meet the ‘shielded’ enduring 12 weeks of isolation.

While people in the UK are being told to stay at home to slow the spread of coronavirus, a significant minority must go even further, avoiding any close contact - even with loved ones - for 12 weeks. They are the so-called shielded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52066673

Offline SteveH

« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2020, 04:52:41 pm »
I found by chance this video, and thought I would check it out, it lasts for 34 minutes, and I didn't notice the time pass, very informative and interesting to hear an Asian point of view on the virus, and how they are dealing with it, in many important ways they are leaving us behind, party from their experiences with past epidemics,  they were better prepared for testing, and completely disagree with the WHO. on the use of face masks, they think it is one reason they are keeping the numbers down.

If you do not watch the video.......... consider using face masks immediately.

One comment on the video............" The best discussion on the coronavirus outbreak yet, truthful, dispassionate and crystal clear! It should be compulsory viewing for all governments! Thank you!"

Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital  on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU

Offline SteveH

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2020, 10:50:42 am »
I hope some of you have had a chance to watch the above video,  as I said an interesting view of the covid situation, and well worth watching...............By chance this mornings DP story of a Caernarfon woman living in South Korea

A North Wales woman living in South Korea has described how the country coped with coronavirus as life there begins to return to normal.

South Korea was one of the first places to record the Covid-19 virus after China, but the government there have been praised for how they tackled it.
Heather Kim, who is originally from Caernarfon, moved to the city of Seoul a year ago and works as an English teacher, while her husband runs a coffee shop.   cont.  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-woman-south-korea-17993759

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:37 am »
"Downing Street’s anti-fake news unit is dealing with up to 10 cases of misinformation about coronavirus a day as it emerged some articles are getting more views than all of those posted by the NHS put together.

Oliver Dowden, the culture and digital secretary, said the government’s new rapid response unit was looking at removing “falsehoods and rumours” about the illness that could cost lives and was trying to clamp down on phishing scams.

An article on the website WND.com that claims a US doctor cured hundreds of patients of coronavirus, despite the fact the information in the piece contradicts official guidance, received more than 160,000 Facebook engagements by UK users in a 24-hour period."

WND.com is a far-right site that actively supports Trump. The wiki entry reads: "WorldNetDaily (WND) is an American news and opinion website and online news aggregator which has been described as "fringe" and far right[6] as well as politically conservative.[7] The website is known for promoting falsehoods and conspiracy theories.[15] "|

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2020, 02:21:49 pm »
As the US plunges downhill into a crisis of its President's making, in many ways, this news is chilling:

"Officials in Illinois have revealed that a baby that tested positive for Covid-19 has died, the first known death of an infant in the US with coronavirus.

In news that will reverberate across the nation, and even likely beyond, governor Jay Pritzker revealed that among 13 more deaths reported in the state, were a government employee and a young child."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2020, 06:49:58 pm »
Daily report from New Scientist:

The worldwide death toll has passed 35,000. The number of confirmed cases is more than 740,000, according to the map and dashboard from Johns Hopkins University, though the true number of cases will be much higher.