The Local > Times Past

Entertainment in the Three Towns Area

(1/5) > >>

suepp:
I've been discussing this on Facebook, In the 1970's a few bands appeared at The Palace, I can remember going to see The Detroit Emeralds and also Sweet Sensation, they were both popular at the time and appeared on Top of the Pops! D)

DaveR:
I never knew that bands appeared at the Palace!  :o I thought it was a case of being just a cinema originally, then going over to cinema/bingo, then just bingo. Do tell more...

Palace Bingo (former Cinema), Conwy

suepp:
All I can remember is those two events, and a couple I didn't get to see who appeared there such as Jimmy Ruffin and Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon.  If I'm not mistaken the promoter was the late Louis Parker

DaveR:
Ah, that would make sense. Parker Leisure Holdings (run by Brian Parker) still own it today, along with large swathes of central Rhyl like the Queens Market etc.

Michael:
Not too sure of my facts here---but I do know that the late Louis Parker had booked a top "star" to appear at the Palace around the 1970s.  Unfortunately I dont recall his name, perhaps I never knew it,  but he was FAMOUS---but for whatever reason he did'nt turn up. A little thing like that did'nt put off Louis, he got the late James Barr who was a local D.J. and tennis star, I think there is a local tennis facility called after him, is it James Carrington Barr, Im not sure of his middle name.. He looked vagulely like this "star" he had a mass of black hair, bulky build and a very extroverte personality. So Louis pushed him out on the stage introducing him as being the missing "STAR." Unbelievably he appeared to get away with it. Neither of them, both sadly died very young, were short of cheek. This story was told to me by the manager at that time of the Palace. Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version