Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574224 times)

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:13 pm »
Jason do you know why this town is being messed about and left to wrot.
If only I knew. I have always had an issue with Strategic Regeneration Areas, they mean concentration of resources is concentrated in these particular areas. That's all very well as the areas do need it, but not at the expensive of other areas that if not looked after will be in need of regeneration sooner.
The last time I spoke to the officers re Station, the funding was the issue (latest excuse), and they said they still hope work would start this financial year and complete by the end of the following financial year, so if DaveR is correct (I'm sure he is) I suppose Spring 2012 is pushing the "financial year" argument to the limit.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:57 pm »
They are currently waiting for a decision re funding from WEFO (Welsh European Funding Office). Should be due this Autumn.

Offline Anthony.G

« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2011, 02:11:05 pm »
Hello,  My wife and I both love Llandudno, as did my late parents, who, as I have previousely posted worked in a Llandudno hotel before the war. A few weeks ago my wife and I spent a few days in Llandudno and noticed the state of the Clarence and Castle Hotels. It is very sad.
        Surely, as Llandudno is mainly a holiday resort, it cannot continue that buildings are allowed to fall into decay. People do not go to llandudno, Conway or Deganway to see buildings that are boarded up wrecks; we can see those anywhere.
        Surely the local council has a duty to the area to compulsary purchase any empty buildings or untidy plots of land that have been bought as 'investments' by some outsider,  and left an untidy mess.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:42 pm »
Very good points, Anthony, I've long said the same.

The Clarence, at least, will shortly begin renovation work to become a well known chain budget hotel on its upper floors, and a restaurant/bar on the ground floor. The Tudno Castle seems destined to rot for a while longer, as the owners are Irish property speculators who are now not as rich as they once were.

Offline outlawowl

« Reply #409 on: August 17, 2011, 08:47:33 pm »
 The pink flats in Deganwy Avenue have been mentioned several times on this thread.. good to see a skip outside them being filled up with builders' rubbish from inside the old flats.
Understand preparatory work is underway before they are turned into apartments.....it will be good when this happens as the pink flats don't do much to enhance the image of a street full of little hotels and B&Bs.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #410 on: August 17, 2011, 09:07:34 pm »
sorry anthony WE are talking about  CCBC we have 2 long standing councilers who represent that ward ,quite a few buildings are ruins and they don,t seem to be bothered so i don,t know why they keep going in the elections  umm wonder why

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: August 17, 2011, 09:32:22 pm »
The pink flats in Deganwy Avenue have been mentioned several times on this thread.. good to see a skip outside them being filled up with builders' rubbish from inside the old flats.
Understand preparatory work is underway before they are turned into apartments.....it will be good when this happens as the pink flats don't do much to enhance the image of a street full of little hotels and B&Bs.
That's good news, thanks for sharing.  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #412 on: August 18, 2011, 07:41:30 am »
 Talking of long standing councillors ,when is our long standing transport cll going to stand up and make a statement about the station, they are a laughing stock and CCBC and the Welsh Assembly are taking the Mick with this so called development . Lets remember the original plan was downgraded from a transport hub to a car park but still we wait and wait  and as NORMAL not a word from the council ,they should be up in arms about the delay after delay but not a WORD UTTER DISGRACE.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #413 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:31 am »
The Welsh assembly were responsible for calling in the application for the Tudno Castle hotel and now look what we are left with,it will not be long befor a match is put to it and now its the assembly who called in the plans for the station , only difference is they knocked it down first so it can;t be torched. :rage:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #414 on: August 18, 2011, 09:38:39 am »
The Clarence, at least, will shortly begin renovation work to become a well known chain budget hotel on its upper floors, and a restaurant/bar on the ground floor.

According to the Weekly News today the only people who don't know what is happening are Cllrs John Boyle, Margaret Lyons and Janet Haworth!  Or maybe it was just an apportunity to have their photograph taken to look as though they atually do anything!     L0L     WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: August 18, 2011, 12:31:48 pm »
The Clarence, at least, will shortly begin renovation work to become a well known chain budget hotel on its upper floors, and a restaurant/bar on the ground floor.

According to the Weekly News today the only people who don't know what is happening are Cllrs John Boyle, Margaret Lyons and Janet Haworth!  Or maybe it was just an apportunity to have their photograph taken to look as though they atually do anything!     L0L     WWW
I was just reading that article and noted Cllr Haworth's comments about it possibly becoming a 'holiday centre for Jewish families' - why refer to a particular race or religion? Her comments come across as being slightly anti-semitic!  :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:35 pm »
The Deganwy Castle Hotel is to become a Boutique Hotel, Restaurant/Public Bar and Apartments, according to the Weekly News. Good news.  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #417 on: August 18, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »
I was just reading that article and noted Cllr Haworth's comments about it possibly becoming a 'holiday centre for Jewish families' - why refer to a particular race or religion? Her comments come across as being slightly anti-semitic!  :(

At least the food will be Kosher!    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #418 on: August 18, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »
The Deganwy Castle Hotel is to become a Boutique Hotel, Restaurant/Public Bar and Apartments, according to the Weekly News. Good news.  $good$
It's good that's its gone public I can now talk about it. I understand it will be a 8 room hotel. The old health club and the function rooms will no longer be part of the hotel and will be converted to apartments. The frontage of the hotel will have the 1960's extensions removed, and will take it back to the picture as shown below.
The hotel and bar area will be in the oldest part of the building, with the apartments on the the wings either side of this.
The more recent development on the railway side will be demolished and will be rebuilt in a modern design. This was advised to differentiate this from the original building. The footprint (not height) will be increased slightly in the new build. It will be closer to the railway line, but windows are orientated away from the properties on the other side of the line. The windows will be directed up the estuary towards Conwy Castle.
Dave your hopes that the grounds will not be developed have been answered. The carpark areas will be maintained and the areas will be landscaped providing outside space for the bar and restaurants. The lawned area will be maintained.
The existing entrance to the Hotel from Station Rd will be maintained (including the pillars), but will be for pedestrians. A new wider vehicle entrance will be produced next to the existing entrance. The fountain will be removed to make way for the new entrance and relocated within the grounds.
I'd encourage people to see the plans next week, to see the detail for themselves.
It does look like a very good scheme, and we always thought there would have to be a compromise between a hotel and residential. The fact a bar and restaurant will return is great news.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2011, 08:55:26 pm »
As always, thanks for the info, Jason.  $good$