Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Voting reform or not?

<< < (5/5)

Yorkie:
Must agree with Ian.  It is important that all the population are represented and by selecting candidates in order of preference it indicates agreement to each of them and their principles.  If you only favour ONE party then all you have to do is just vote for ONE individual.  It is that simple.

I know that if my selected choice does not win my second or third might which means that I will at least be represented by someone to whom I do not object.   $good$

Ian:
For an incredibly simple explanation of why the current system is just wrong, I copied this:

"FPTP is unfair because the winner only has to have the most votes, not a majority. To take an extreme, let's say there are one hundred candidates and one hundred voters. If just two voters vote for candidate number 1, and the remaining ninety-eight each vote for a different (i.e. unique) candidate, the results would be as follows:-

candidate 1        2 votes
candidates 2-99  1 vote each
candidate 100     0 votes

Candidate 1 is elected even though 98% of the electorate didn't want him/her."

AV - whilst being far from an ideal form of voting system - at least means that the eventual winner will achieve more than 50% of the vote in any election.

SDQ:
What happens if everyone decides not to pick a second or third choice & just votes for their first choice?
(which is what I would do)

Yorkie:
You finish up with the same as usual - first past the post!   Just as per Ian's comment above.    L0L

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version