The Local > Local News & Discussion

Special Days

<< < (5/5)

Ian:
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fair point, DVT. You're right about how I regard our PM, of course, but I didn't post what I did because of a date coincidence; I posted it because we (in common with many other countries elsewhere) seem to be experiencing a political shift towards the right. I posted because both involve the electorate of democracies (in the PM's case only a small number of Tory Party members, of course) but both Hitler's rise to power and Johnson's move into No 10 have some worrying similarities.

We've had a long period of what is laughingly called 'austerity' which, historically speaking, always seems to precede a move to the right. In the 20th C fewer than 20 years separated any global financial downturn from a major war.

The curious thing about austerity measures is that they never seem to impact the wealthy. And, no matter who we choose to look at it, the current government is led by the very wealthy - mostly ex-Etonians. Johnson's main plank was his intention to achieve Brexit at any cost. The government is already encouraging the lies and falsehoods that will, I suspect, characterise Johnson's tenure as PM and I really do have major concerns that true democratic process will be subverted in the determination to get us out.

So, no; Hitler had nothing to do with your existence unless you weren't conceived but voted into being $yes$

TELL:
That’s strange, my memory must be going. I was sure that the Democratic Referendum vote was to leave the EU.

Ian:
Not really; only around a third of the electorate voted to leave. And it was only an indicative vote: we don't have direct democracy in the UK. And since then another 2.3m have come of voting age, so surely they should get the opportunity to vote?

TELL:
That’s an interesting take upon democracy Ian, I would guess that you voted “Remain”.
Anyway, “The Ashes” start on Thursday which is much more interesting?!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version