Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 585766 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #765 on: December 29, 2013, 11:45:46 am »
We have a chap coming tomorrow to sort the roof edging out tomorrow, the piece fell off earlier, I've taken the Xmas lights down now so he has easy access to it, don't think I'll bother putting them up again till next Xmas!
I think that plastic roof edging is one of the biggest scams going. The roof tiles should be secured correctly anyway (using clips if necessary), the edging just isn't needed and is the first thing to come away in a gale.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #766 on: December 29, 2013, 12:00:20 pm »
Anymore DIY tips for the new year DaveR.lol

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #767 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »
How about how to hang and wire a xmas light on Mostyn st,all answers too the town hall,DaveR you could have started something here.

Offline Cordyline

• Management board member
« Reply #768 on: December 29, 2013, 12:41:37 pm »
Quite right DaveR

Plastic roof edging can also stop water  getting off the roof and instead guiding H2O into the wall cavity, especially in a strong gale

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #769 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:52 pm »
It was fitted long before we bought the place, most houses round here have it, how good it is I don't know to be honest. The plastic didn't fail, the baton that they were fixed to was not securely fixed to the roof! The ends of the tile batons all need doing too in the new year.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #770 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:53 pm »
How, just out of interest will they repair the ends of the tile batons?
I would have thought if rotten all the tiles will have to come off that are fixed to them.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #771 on: December 29, 2013, 01:40:47 pm »
I think he said he will take off the tiles at the ends first, we will find out soon!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #772 on: December 29, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »
Storm Damage Update from round our way!

A week or so ago, after the last gales, I found two large plywood roofing panels in our garden.  They were about 10 feet square, full of 1-inch screws and very heavy.  I could not lift them alone.
They had been ripped from the roof of a structure about 100 yards away in field belonging to Wyffydd Road School.
I alerted the school, they came round, apologised and collected the panels, I thought no more about it.
I did suggest that longer screws were required, and they should not be replaced until AFTER the expected bad weather.
Mrs Fester said that someone could have been killed, but I dismissed the idea.

Fast forward then to the early hours of Boxing Day morning.
We had barely slept due to the howling gales, and Mrs Fester went downstairs at 7am.
I heard a loud crash, and a scream.  I looked out of the window to see that those roof panels were back, and had smashed through our decking rails.  A lot of force needed to do that.
But that was not the reason for the scream.... and it was not Mrs F screaming!

Instead, our next door neighbour's house was the source of the commotion.
Another of those wooden panels, with the 4-inch square posts still attached to them, had crashed through the patio doors and into the living room.  It had taken a section of the wall in to the lounge with it.
I went round to take a look, and it was pure devastation. 
Mrs Fester was correct, if anyone had been in that living room, (or if it had been ours), someone could have been killed.
On top of that, something similar had impacted the roof and smashed a section of roof tiles, and scythed through the TV aerial.
CCBC were alerted as it was the school property that had caused this damage.  They are responsible for putting it all right. However, the CCBC man who quickly arrived on scene said that they have no builders available until 6th January!!

I have other problems and damage to report..... and they are due to the CCBC recycling policies and management.
I will post later about those, if anyone is interested.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #773 on: December 29, 2013, 02:16:40 pm »
Fuel for your cause Fester.
 CCBC must have someone working-- We had the street swept on Boxing Day and this morning ( Sunday) the bin on the corner opposite was being emptied at 7.10am by a man with a van and a torch.
Surely they must have someone on call for emergencies such as yours.?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #774 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:31 pm »
From what the guy said, they have glazers, joiners, roofers, sparkies etc..... to call upon now, but no builders until 6th Jan.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #775 on: December 29, 2013, 02:26:37 pm »
Crazy !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #776 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »
They are responsible for putting it all right. However, the CCBC man who quickly arrived on scene said that they have no builders available until 6th January!!

CCBC have emergency teams available. but clearly don't want to pay them. The damage and devastation is bad enough but it  clearly could have been far worse. I'd suggest some intense lobbying of the local CCBC councillor is called for.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #777 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:52 pm »
What's to stop you getting your own builder and sending CCBC the bill?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #778 on: December 29, 2013, 04:47:09 pm »
That thought occurred to me.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #779 on: December 29, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »
Storm Damage Update from round our way!

So sorry to hear about the problems you and your neighbour have encountered. Hope you are all safe. Tell your neighbours to check in to the Imperial and send the council the bill.