Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 585859 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Guy Martin
« Reply #450 on: October 29, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
An hour of possible good publicity?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-britain-worked/episode-guide/series-1/episode-3

So, its 8pm on Sunday 4th November?   Channel 4 .... I'm looking forward to that!   $thanx$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #451 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »
Conwy public toilets saved from closure
By Mari JonesOct 31 2012

PUBLIC toilets facing the axe in Conwy county have been given a late reprieve, as the council backtracks on its closure plans.

The news will delight campaigners who have been battling to save the toilets from being shut.

Conwy County Council had planned to reduce the county’s public conveniences from 57 to 29, to save costs.

However, after holding a public consultation the authority has realised the strength of local feeling to keep the toilets open.

According to the council’s own figures, over a million people use the public conviences every year in Conwy.

Those that were under threat include Gwydir Park in Llanrwst, Rhos on Sea paddling pool, Trefriw, and Watling Street in Llanrwst.

Protestors from across the county handed in petitions signed by thousands of people to keep them open, and many were worried the closures would affect the tourist trade.

Darren Millar AM had even raised the matter at the Senedd saying it was “essential to safeguard” the provision of public lavatories. He pointed out that as a high proportion of the local population in Conwy are elderly, many need to use the conveniences regularly because of medical issues.

Cllr Mike Priestley, who holds the environment portfolio, said: “We’ve listened to the people and come to the conclusion that our communities would prefer an open toilet rather than a closed on, even if they are in a poor state.

“I’ve also submitted a business case to the council to ask for an extra £430,000 in next year’s budget on top of the £640,000 we already get to run the toilets.

“I would like to have the money to refurbish the toilets in Station Road, Betws y Coed, Conwy Quay, Llandudno paddling pool and the ones in George Street in Llandudno.

“But there’s no guarantee we’ll get the extra money as budgets are very tight at the moment, but we should find out in December.

“However, as we are striving to make public conveniences more sustainable there will be a 20p charge to use the refurbished toilets, although they will be free for the disabled.”

Cllr Priestley would also like private businesses or community groups to come forward who are interested in running any of the toilets.

“There are opportunities out there for community groups and businesses.

“For instance, if someone took on the running of the Rhos on Sea paddling pool ones, then we could discuss opening a kiosk on the site.

“A brilliant example is what Dan’s Den has done in Eirias Park. They’ve taken on the toilets and opened up a youth cafe.”

Town and community councils willing to maintain toilets would be supplied with financial costs.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/10/31/conwy-public-toilets-saved-from-closure-55578-32137313/

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #452 on: October 31, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »
Wonderful news that every little piddley assed facility in the County will now be kept open, with the exception of the one that is most needed.
I refer to the facility on North Parade / Happy Valley Road which used to provide for thousands of users per day throughout the season. It never ceases to amaze me that the town that provides the largest amount of revenue for the County is treated so poorly in return. If you think I’m over reacting come up and watch when the next Running Event takes place but if your of a modest disposition don’t try to go up the path to the Cable Car as you will see for yourself what the closure of the facility opposite the Grand Hotel results in.   $angry$ 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #453 on: October 31, 2012, 04:15:56 pm »
Using the phrase 'piddley assed'' seems highly appropriate when discussing the issue of public toilets.  $smack$
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2012, 08:10:59 am »
Is this really a story worthy of the Daily Post? Not to mention that Gwrych Castle is in Abergele and the Pensarn slip road is nowhere near the Castle anyway!

Mattress on A55 at Conwy causes morning rush-hour delays
by Dan Beavan, DPW WestOct 10 2012

A MATTRESS fell off the back of a lorry on the A55 – blocking one lane and causing delays in the middle of the morning rush hour.

The unusual obstruction took place on the Pensarn slip road to the eastbound lane near Gwyrch Castle, Conwy – between Pensarn and Llanddulas.

The mattress came loose from the truck and fell on to the road just after 8.30am, causing delays between junction 23A and junction 28.

A Traffic Wales spokesman said the incident caused “very minor delays” and the mattress was quickly removed.

“The mattress fell off the back of the wagon but traffic officers arrived at the scene very quickly and removed it,” he added.

North Wales Police confirmed officers attended the scene of the accident.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:05 am »
Is this really a story worthy of the Daily Post? Not to mention that Gwrych Castle is in Abergele and the Pensarn slip road is nowhere near the Castle anyway!

Or even the Three Towns Forum?   ZXZ    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:13 am »
Well, you thought it worthy of commenting upon, so.....  :laugh:  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #457 on: November 01, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
I've been waiting all morning for a new mattress to be delivered, no sign of it yet!  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:00 pm »
I've been waiting all morning for a new mattress to be delivered, no sign of it yet!  :)

You have to take these things lying down! _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
I will have to sleep on it!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:25 pm »
Conwy Castle on discovery plus 1 at 10pm tonight - channel 521 on sky

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #461 on: November 01, 2012, 11:49:25 pm »
Conwy Castle on discovery plus 1 at 10pm tonight - channel 521 on sky

Thanks a lot Dave, for all of 28.5 minutes notice!!!

Needless to say, I missed it.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #462 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:34 pm »
Hang on.... its on again at midnight... 4 minutes from now.... (fumbles hurriedly for remote control)

Fester...

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #463 on: November 14, 2012, 09:32:49 am »
Daffodil planting

The Llandudno Daffodil Capital team will be planting daffodils around Mostyn Champneys between 11.00 am and 1.00 pm today and tomorrow. 

There are a mere 25,000 "Tete-a-Tete" bulbs to plant, so anyone who would like to join in will be more than welcome!

$walesflag$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #464 on: November 22, 2012, 05:44:09 pm »
A bit of heavy rain for a few hours, and the A55, A5 and all train services shut down - pathetic!