Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 585543 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #795 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »
Did you also speak to North Wales Police and Mostyn Estates.

If so, what were their responses?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #796 on: December 31, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »
Possibly Champneys is a victim of its own success.  The real issue that unlike most regional shopping centres, Llandudno is at the end of a peninsula and traffic movements will always be restricted with a finite number of vehicles that can be accommodated in physical terms.  Altering traffic light sequences is not really the solution as this will only cause similar problems elsewhere on the network. Maybe the Borough should be thinking of a park and ride but that would no doubt be unpopular with motorists given the relatively short distance likely.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #797 on: December 31, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »
Park and Ride was suggested some years ago and was found unworkable as they would not be able to move all the people at the peak times that the Resort experienced. 
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #798 on: January 01, 2014, 11:01:28 am »
Altering traffic light sequences is not really the solution as this will only cause similar problems elsewhere on the network.

That's a good point, but I wonder if installing so-called 'smart' lights, which could make decisions based on sheer numbers at any given time, could help? I suppose another option is the creation of a new exit from the park.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #799 on: January 01, 2014, 11:19:50 am »
To my mind the problem will exist forever as with three large retail developments (ASDA, Mostyn Champneys and Parc Llandudno) within such a short distance of each other, and such developments being in the centre of the Town, it was destined to be a problem from day one.

A partial solution could be possible by a major redesign of the roads around that area and creating total one way traffic, essentially making one huge roundabout of Mostyn Broadway, Conwy Road etc.

ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #800 on: January 01, 2014, 11:46:30 am »
Interesting idea.  The other solution that occurs would be to make the traffic heading out from Town merge into a single lane as it approached the MC lights, and for the traffic from MC to be channelled into the remaining lane - no lights needed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #801 on: January 01, 2014, 12:45:31 pm »
Ian, I assume MC stands for Mostyn Champneys and not McDonalds.

The problem with your suggestion is that it would render it dangerous for pedestrians walking along Conway Road in and out of Llandudno who depend on those traffic lights turning RED so they can cross the junction safely.

In fact, anyone below a certain height and walking into Llandudno struggle to see back along Charlotte Road anyway because of the height of the perimeter hedge outside McDonalds.

Don’t forget also there is a bus stop outside Pets At Home, which would cause another queue if your suggestion of a single lane was implemented.

Would you believe yesterday MC was only just over half full when we walked through once again at 4.30pm and the traffic was flowing freely with no visible problems?

The problem only seems to arise when the car park is full and that is why I believe the intervention of a police officer for traffic duty for a short time is the obvious solution.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #802 on: January 01, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »
The problem with your suggestion is that it would render it dangerous for pedestrians walking along Conway Road in and out of Llandudno who depend on those traffic lights turning RED so they can cross the junction safely.

It's why I suggested a couple of years ago that there really ought to be pedestrian footbridges in place.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #803 on: January 01, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »
With lifts for the elderly and disabled?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: January 01, 2014, 02:19:59 pm »
No, but ramps would do for that and are widely used elsewhere.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #805 on: January 01, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »
Ok but how would you overcome the problem with the bus stop outside Pets At Home?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: January 01, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »
That one's simple.  It stays where it is, but only the bus can use it, instead of other vehicles at present.  To be honest, the only real issue I can see is the position of the emergency services garage exit.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #807 on: January 01, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »
I can now see the wisdom of your thinking.  D)

However, the problem highlighted at MC is only an occasional problem when the car park is full, or near full, and is caused by a poorly-designed car park so does not necessarily need a permanent solution like the one you are proposing.

What do you think of my suggestion of police officers stepping in at one or both ends of Charlotte Road to help ease the traffic flow as and when they are needed?

It was a common sight when I was younger.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #808 on: January 01, 2014, 04:18:54 pm »
That would seem to be the most cost effective solution.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #809 on: January 01, 2014, 04:50:38 pm »
The problem is only 8 cars can get out at one time,so obviously traffic will que for longer to get out and you que every weekend.