Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 585551 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1305 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:35 am »
Personally I don't think it makes sense to only put cameras in places where accidents have already happened because by then it might be too late.  Wouldn't they better used to prevent accidents from happening in the first place?

I suspect the Cameravans are only deployed reactively, in response to complaints about speeding drivers or when statistics reveal a high incidence of accidents. On the A470 between 0730 and 0830 would be an excellent time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1306 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:16 am »
I agree entirely Mike. To make even more of a nonsense of the radar van in the Robertson's dip, it was there on a Saturday when presumably there is no one around to exit their premises.

I was under the impression that radar vans should be placed in spots with a history of accidents too. Not aware of any here.

A car overturned onto its roof in an accident in Deganwy this morning, in which a woman in her 30s suffered a back injury. Three marked police cars, an ambulance and a fire engine attended the scene on Pentywyn Road, near Fugro Robertson's, at around 8.30am.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/car-overturns-onto-roof-deganwy-6137564

A cyclist has suffered serious injuries after a road crash.  Emergency services were called to Pentywyn Road, Deganwy, near the entrance to Robertson Research at around 10.40am today.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cyclist-suffers-serious-injuries-after-8677198

A MOTORCYCLIST was taken to hospital after a crash near Deganwy yesterday morning.  Four vehicles were involved in the incident on Pentywyn Road.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-200083715.html

Personally I don't think it makes sense to only put cameras in places where accidents have already happened because by then it might be too late.  Wouldn't they better used to prevent accidents from happening in the first place?

Speaking of lazy journalists FA - I notice on this article

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cyclist-suffers-serious-injuries-after-8677198

"near the entrance to Robertson Research"

Hasn't been called that since about 2003 - it was Fugro Robertson after that and is now CGG Robertson.

LAZY LAZY LAZY  &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #1307 on: October 22, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »

That said, I think speed traps like the one that is set up in the dip as after you go past Robertsons in Llanrhos is just a money maker and has little to do with road safety.

Now does that make me  a)Lazy or b) Unsure what they have changed their name to yet again! :)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1308 on: October 22, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »
You're not a paid journalist are you Dave? So it is excused.  $good$

(Also you didn't include the defunct research so you weren't really wrong)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1309 on: October 23, 2015, 09:31:59 am »
"Two men who drowned at a north Wales waterfall did not realise the dangers of swimming in it after drinking alcohol and taking drugs, an inquest has heard.

Steffan Vernon, 33, and Alex Hadley, 21, died at Ceunant Mawr waterfall near Llanberis, Gwynedd, on 7 June. The inquest in Caernarfon concluded their deaths were accidental.

Coroner Dewi Pritchard Jones will write to the council asking it to install danger warning signs at the site."

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-34598592
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1310 on: October 24, 2015, 08:19:23 am »
Just a reminder in the unlikely event that anyone's forgotten: Clocks go back one hour at 0200 tomorrow.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1311 on: October 24, 2015, 04:54:24 pm »
I'm not taking my clocks back, I like them too much!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1312 on: October 24, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1313 on: October 24, 2015, 10:34:51 pm »
Just a reminder in the unlikely event that anyone's forgotten: Clocks go back one hour at 0200 tomorrow.

Ugh! An extra hour in work!  $angry$
Valar Morghulis

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1314 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:40 am »
               I noticed quite a large sailing ship anchored in Conwy bay off the gunsites when I was out earlier this mornig. I looked it up on Ship AIS  when I got home and it's the "Stavros.S.Niarchos", a 195 ft brig owned by the Tall Ships Youth Trust and launched in 2000 but currently for sale. It should look quite impressive when it gets under way under sail.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1316 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:35 pm »
There is a major incident on the prom between Rhos and Penrhyn Bay. 3 police cars, 4 ambulances and the air ambulance on scene. Possibly a serious car crash?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1317 on: October 28, 2015, 04:09:29 pm »
There is a major incident on the prom between Rhos and Penrhyn Bay. 3 police cars, 4 ambulances and the air ambulance on scene. Possibly a serious car crash?
          We were passing through Rhos about 2.30 - 3 this afternoon on the bus and police and ambulances were heading onto the prom near St. Trillo's Church. According to the Daily Post  website recently a car left a side road onto the prom and went straight across the road and over the prom through the railings and onto the rocks below. The Air Ambulance was also in attendance.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1318 on: October 28, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »
               I noticed quite a large sailing ship anchored in Conwy bay off the gunsites when I was out earlier this mornig. I looked it up on Ship AIS  when I got home and it's the "Stavros.S.Niarchos", a 195 ft brig owned by the Tall Ships Youth Trust and launched in 2000 but currently for sale. It should look quite impressive when it gets under way under sail.
               This beautiful ship is now moored alongside Beaumaris Pier. (see pic below. if it comes out!)
                    Phil HenUGC credit: Phil Hen Stavros S Niarchos, operated by tall ships youth trust, moored at Beaumaris pier

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1319 on: October 28, 2015, 04:22:37 pm »
               Re- Pic of Sailing ship in previous post. My apologies for absence of pic, I can never get to transfer photos from other sites onto here, it transferred onto an e-mail OK, I'll try once more. It can be seen on the Daily Post Live website.
                      Phil HenUGC credit: Phil Hen Stavros S Niarchos, operated by tall ships youth trust, moored at Beaumaris pier