The Local > Ask a Local

Llanduno floods of 1992/3 - who lived through them?

(1/7) > >>

mondie:
We moved to the area last year and have come to hear about the floods of 1992 when the town was flooded, presumably by a combination of a king tide and weather conditions coinciding. There doesn't appear to be much information or any photos on the net about this flood so I was hoping to hear from locals who lived through that day. How bad was it and what combination of factors caused it? As we grow keener on Llandudno and start to look at houses this is something we have wondered more about lately. Certainly, insurances are damn expensive presumably from a real or perceived risk.

Incidentally, just today I was chatting with my wife about buying a house on the side of the Orme so we had a bit of elevation when this came up in a search  :o

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/1993-great-orme-floods-video-12431592

The £7bn tidal project that was featured in this paper raises the prospect of the MSL rising 1-2m in the next 100 yrs, if true the town could soon be below sea level necessitating some very expensive sea defences.

Cheers,
Simon

Bri Roberts:
It was on the 10 June 1993 and some of us will never forget our experience.

Do a search on here for ‘The Great Flood’ for further information.

Here is a video clip.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/1993-great-orme-floods-video-12431592

Bri Roberts:
This is the view, mondie, when I arrived teatime at Llandudno Junction Railway Station.

Amazing how this disaster will soon be 25 years old.

Ian:
The cause was primarily exceptionally heavy downpour from a storm cell over Llandudno, which spewed roughly 4.5" of water in two hours and poor design of the Marine Drive around the Orme, which had no storm drain-type gaps to allow exceptional rainfall to pour through and into the sea.  I was hit just as I attempted to drive up to a friend's place on Llys Helig and the road was simply funnelling immense quantities of water along with a lot of debris into Llandudno. There was a fire engine, with the water rising steadily above its wheel arches, with the fire crew sitting on the top parked at the Paddling pool, where a pumping station had apparently succumbed to the water inflow. I'd also had to rescue my wife who'd been in a hairdresser's in Garden St, where the water had risen up the glass door, exerting so much pressure on it that the door couldn't be opened until a fireman, armed with an axe, opted for the easy option.  Certainly sticks in the memory.

mondie:
Thanks for the reply  $good$

Was there only one flood due to extreme rainfall and not sea/tide conditions? I must have caught the wrong end of the stick on that one. Seems like the kind of event that could happen anywhere if you were unlucky, I wonder why we get penalised so hard on property insurance. I had assumed it was due to my wrong version of events, thanks for the clarification Ian & Bri.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version