Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 216434 times)

Offline nwpo

Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #630 on: August 05, 2014, 09:35:31 am »
Thank you Dave R.  I have previously posted the figures and have received via a FoI request the breakdown of the costs for Venue Cymru.

As I have said many times before, similar sized venues in more out of the way places do better.

Venue Cymru could make money, but won't make money whilst it is run as a council operation rather than as a commercial business.  The management of VC do not have to worry about making a profit to get there ever increasing salary cheques.  If the theatre was let to a commercial operation (such as the one which runs Access All Eirias), it would have to make money or the management would find themselves booted out.

Whilst, I'm at it, have you seen the state of the fabric of the building recently.  On one side I noticed the letters have started falling off!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #631 on: August 05, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »
DaveR am I correct, is VC running at a loss of, between one and a half to two million pounds actual loss per year?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: August 05, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »
DaveR am I correct, is VC running at a loss of, between one and a half to two million pounds actual loss per year?
That is correct.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #633 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:10 pm »
I thought we were discussing a case of bad management/ poor attendance, but this situation is ludicrous .
It shows the importance of having the figures available (thank you D.)  I am gobsmacked, I dread to think what else is going on, I cannot understand the mindset of the people, that are allowing this to happen.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #634 on: August 05, 2014, 07:41:58 pm »
I think it is important in this, or any other debate about CCBC, that it is the Highly paid and Employed Council Officers who think up the daft ideas and are responsible for the day to day operation.   Councillors only approve or disapprove their ideas based on the evidence or suggestions given to them by these smooth tongued individuals.

The blame can only start and stop at the top of the pile.   Is it not therefore about time that Iwan Davies fell on his sword and the County employed someone with a decent business background, capable of sorting out the mess we are in and building an effective and efficient service to the public?

:rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #635 on: August 06, 2014, 12:32:55 am »
That is correct.

.... and rather than improving, the financial situation has actually got worse!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #636 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:05 am »
I think it is important in this, or any other debate about CCBC, that it is the Highly paid and Employed Council Officers who think up the daft ideas and are responsible for the day to day operation.   Councillors only approve or disapprove their ideas based on the evidence or suggestions given to them by these smooth tongued individuals.

The blame can only start and stop at the top of the pile.   Is it not therefore about time that Iwan Davies fell on his sword and the County employed someone with a decent business background, capable of sorting out the mess we are in and building an effective and efficient service to the public?

:rage:

I agree it,s about time Iwan Davies went. I've never heard so many complaints about CBCC since he was appointed.

Offline nwpo

« Reply #637 on: August 06, 2014, 12:34:13 pm »
In case anyone is interested, these links give the following:

Detailed breakdown of income & expenditure for Venue Cymru & Theatr Colwyn 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2012/13
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bUCYhc420wdXcwX0RadGZ0SGM/edit?usp=sharing

Summary Income and Expenditure for Venue Cymru, Theatr Colwyn and the Great Orme Tram since 2001/02
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dCEan1ohcdNw5JJEckJXT8hudE0z5eAxi8h50aop1Hg/edit?usp=sharing

No commercial business would be allowed to continue the way these have.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #638 on: August 06, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »
Thanks NWPO,  The main thing that hit me, the salaries,  £1.700.000. with a total cost of £2.500.000 million p.a.
the second link shows the period 2001/2013 with a total loss of £18.000.000.million, for the three venues, VC,TC and the tram,  ( I have written the words million, because its so hard to believe these figures) .
I do not fully understand accounting, but, with these simple breakdowns, a child could see the problem, as I said before, whoever is allowing this to continue, needs FIRED.

Or we should all apply for a salaried position at VC.....

Offline SteveH

« Reply #639 on: August 06, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »
Going over NWPO 2nd. link again, I made a mistake, The total loss for the three venues VC,TC and the trams is

£20.702.000 (million.)

To allow this to happen over a 10 year period, year in, year out, and to allow it to continue, is nothing short of criminal.
I really need these figures, explained, is there anybody out there who can help.    PLEASE.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #640 on: August 06, 2014, 04:31:32 pm »
Apparently they do really well at conferences though  ZXZ

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #641 on: August 06, 2014, 04:38:21 pm »
Going over NWPO 2nd. link again, I made a mistake, The total loss for the three venues VC,TC and the trams is
                                                           £20.702.000 (million.)

To allow this to happen over a 10 year period, year in, year out, and to allow it to continue, is nothing short of criminal.
I really need these figures, explained, is there anybody out there who can help.    PLEASE.                                                 

Write to CCBC requesting the information you require  quoting the Freedom of Information Act.  They have a specially dedicated email address that is published on the Council web site.  You can send your request by email and ask for a written answer by snail mail or email.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #642 on: August 06, 2014, 04:41:20 pm »
 $thanx$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #643 on: August 06, 2014, 04:42:06 pm »

£20.702.000 (million.)

In the case of the tramway, if they ran it more often, a longer season and some evening trips then they should get more income. Although with preserved steam railways they rely heavily on volunteers to help run them and even then some struggle!
As far as the theatres go, sounds like they could not run a p*#¥ up in a brewery! To leave it making huge losses for all that time is inexcusable!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #644 on: August 06, 2014, 04:46:17 pm »
To be fair the tram, was the only one who made a profit 5years out of the 10, and I do not think they should be lumped in with the others.