Author Topic: Venue Cymru Arena  (Read 216571 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Venue Cymru Arena
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:45 am »
Yorkie, the Illegal Eagles will be playing in Arena aka Hall on Sunday, 9 October 2011.
I would have expected those of us who grew up forty years ago with the Eagles would much prefer to sit down in theTheatre to enjoy their music.

I grew up more than 40 years ago!  And (maybe for my sins) I don't even know who The Eagles are, let alone the Illegal version!  You go and enjoy yourself.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2011, 11:57:42 am »
Yorkie, the Illegal Eagles will be playing in Arena aka Hall on Sunday, 9 October 2011.

I would have expected those of us who grew up forty years ago with the Eagles would much prefer to sit down in theTheatre to enjoy their music.

The hall has seats. The fold up kind! and just a few hundred. The hall isn't the arena, it's the old hall that used to be used for gigs before the arena was built, they are making use of it again

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2011, 01:48:11 pm »
Is that on the first floor of the old Aberconwy Centre?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2011, 04:39:15 pm »
Yeah that's the one

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2011, 04:51:28 pm »
I just wish that the old Grand Theatre could be brought back into use for gigs and shows as a community theatre - an intimate 900 seater auditorium giving far better contact between act/audience . Only the lower floors are used in its present incarnation as Broadway Boulevard, the upper areas and backstage remain as they were in the theatre days:

Up above the Nightclub:

Grand Theatre by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Backstage Flytower area:

Grand Theatre Tour - Llandudno by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

The old Upper Circle:

Grand Staircase:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:57 pm »
What a great place.  Pure vandalism to have turned that into a nightclub.    :rage:
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
 :) Yorkie its hard enougth to keep our kids in town as it is without taking Broadway from them,it looks like the rest of it is falling down anyway and i noticed pigeons going in the top windows so it must be a right mess up there ,Unfortunatley when they discover the mess at the top they will just walk leaving us with another eyesore. :-*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:58 am »
Surely things aren't that bad Wrex?   My two were brought up in Llandudno from the ages of 15 and 13 and they certainly didn't have to spend all their social hours in the Broadway!    The only bad thing for the kids around here is the lack of decent jobs.  There is next to no industry and most are left with the low paid retail or tourism work.  And before any one says it, there is nothing wrong with working in retail or tourism!   My own two have never worked in this area since going to Uni and College, and there are plenty of other parents I know with kids who are working far from "home".
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2011, 10:46:28 pm »
 ;) Yorkie my brothers kids have all moved away,but all my sisters kids still live in town,so for the ones who have stayed i would like Venue Cymru to put on some decent gigs so we don;t drive the rest of them away and leave the town to become completley a retirement town. ZXZ

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:38 am »
;) Yorkie my brothers kids have all moved away,but all my sisters kids still live in town,so for the ones who have stayed i would like Venue Cymru to put on some decent gigs so we don;t drive the rest of them away and leave the town to become completley a retirement town. ZXZ

I was talking about the Broadway not the Arena!    $good$
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »

I was talking about the Broadway not the Arena!    $good$

Trouble is- by a vast majority most people aged 18-30 are into the rubbish  they pump out through those broadway speakers than any bands. If you closed that and 147 then all the kids would go out in Bangor instead (although seeing as the last train back from there is for some silly reason at half 10 I'm not sure how they'd manage it!)
Saying that its odd that such a such a small place like Buckley can have the Tivoli, which incorporates both a music venue and a nightclub - something for everyone

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2011, 01:02:22 pm »
The Tivoli attracts people from all over North Wales. I'd like to see the Grand/Boulevard used as a real community venue, perhaps being owned by a Trust, managed by the local am dram societies and featuring something different every night. Local bands, up and coming national bands, plays, musicals, talent shows, comedians...in fact, anything at all that requires a stage and without the prohibitive costs associated with hiring any of the halls at Venue Cymru.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:47 am »
 :( Did anyone go to the Manic Street Preachers gig last week,the only gig on this year and i go and book a holiday. :'(  .Am i right in thinking that this new venue in Erias Park will also be able to hold gigs for upto 6,000 people or did i dream it,anyway i hope for their sake CCBC get a proper team to book their gigs. ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2011, 11:58:12 am »
It's only the revamped outdoor arena in Eirias park, they've never done much with it in the past.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2011, 08:53:07 pm »
:( Did anyone go to the Manic Street Preachers gig last week,the only gig on this year and i go and book a holiday. :'(  .Am i right in thinking that this new venue in Erias Park will also be able to hold gigs for upto 6,000 people or did i dream it,anyway i hope for their sake CCBC get a proper team to book their gigs. ZXZ

I was there - supposed to be sold out but lots of touts outside selling tickets... I was up the front didn't sound bad to my ears at all, though the queues for the bars were a joke, I don't think they thought the bar size out too well.