Author Topic: Human rights & Europe  (Read 7620 times)

brumbob

Human rights & Europe
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:36:34 pm »
MPs reject European court's ruling that prisoners must get the vote, finally they have stood up to the European Court of Human Rights.
Do you think prisoners deserve 'human rights' or did they give that up when they lost the right to freedom.

Could this be the turning point when we start rejecting the takeover of our laws by the EU?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:20:31 pm by Ian »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Prisoners to not get the vote
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »
I'm a bit divided on this issue (for a change - that's the Libra in me) I can categorically say I don't think long term prisoners should get the vote.  Prisoners in for murder, burglary, assault and sex offences for example but then there is those in for more petty crime like non payment of council tax and the like.  If it was a yay or nay situation I'd have to say no they should not get the vote.  Surely they would want any other government in power as opposed to the one who imprisoned them thus making their vote bias?  ?{}?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Human rights & Europe
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:10:26 pm »
Sorry to keep disagreeing with you Brumbob. We have only had true justice in this country since the UK Gov signed up to the human rights act. Take a look at the host of major miscarriages of Justice that have been put right because of it. Unless you’re very rich, a Mason or a member of the Judges Paedophile circle you haven’t got a hope in hell of getting justice in this country
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »
You have a very valid point Blongb. I think our justice system is as corrupt as Americas.  Do you think prisoners should get the vote then?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

brumbob

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:27 pm »
No problem Blongb, we're all entitled to our view  :)
I didn't say in my post that I agreed with what I had written (but obviously I do)
but what about my human rights and the thread title being changed without my knowledge :weeping:

Offline Blongb

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:28 pm »
Of course they should get the vote. It's quite easy to arrange a postal ballot for them all which would be duly collected by a reliable member of HM Prison Service and put in a convenient dustbin on his / her way home  ¢¢##

I promise I didn't change the thread title Brumbob and I promise I will join your cause to get it reinstated if you so wish   Y^^Y

brumbob

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:37:57 pm »
 :laugh: couldn't care less about the thread title, it's probably more encompassing than mine, in fact I can't even remember what I put,
senile as Pendragon would say  :P

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:11 pm »
An opinionated Fester says...

No, prisoners should not get the vote, they shouldn't even be aware of an election going on, because they shouldn't have a telly either.
Therefore any vote they were given would be a total wase as they would not understand the issues. 

Jeezas,  you'll be advocating that women can vote next..    L0L L0L L0L
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:04 am »
but what about my human rights and the thread title being changed without my knowledge weeping

Hmmm.... not sure changing the title was actually an infraction of your human rights ,BB  ;D I changed it simply to create a more universal topic, because it's the ECHR that's at the root of the current issue with regard to prisoner voting.

Without wanting to depart too much off topic, a vast plethora of seemingly unrelated topics is one of the major deterrents to new folk joining.  If something doesn't fit within an existing topic then I change the title to make it more comprehensive, especially - in this case - since it's a topic that could run  and run.

BOT - the thing that worries me about criminals getting the vote is the distortions it could produce in the voting system.  For example, I wonder how many potential MPs might try to curry favour and win the Lags vote?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »

For example, I wonder how many potential MPs might try to curry favour and win the Lags vote?

I'm not sure that’s right; looks to me as if they’re after the sub-continent immigrant vote

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:43:11 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:46:02 am »
Blongb: I've sorted the quotes out in your post. Definitely something odd happening with quotes;  the post you made had two 'quote' codes in it, but only a single "/ quote" at the end, thus messing with the eventual display.

*&(
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blongb

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 07:04:52 pm »
Blongb: I've sorted the quotes out in your post. Definitely something odd happening with quotes;  the post you made had two 'quote' codes in it, but only a single "/ quote" at the end, thus messing with the eventual display.

*&(

Sorry Ian that was my fault. I was trying to be too clever by selecting the quote button and then doing an edit inside the Post reply box. I shall be a little more careful next time.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:50:00 am »

*&(

Sorry that  my. I  trying  be  clever  selecting  quote  and  doing edit  the reply . I  be  little careful  time.

Definitely something strange going on.  ???

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:07 am »
Sorry Ian that was my fault. I was trying to be too clever by selecting the quote button and then doing an edit inside the Post reply box. I shall be a little more careful next tim

Just as long as it isn't the forum software :-))

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »
Do you think the PM would go along with this suggestion?     ???

Dear  David
Let's put  the seniors in jail and the criminals in a  nursing home. This way the  seniors would have access to showers, hobbies  and walks. They'd  receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and  medical treatment, wheel  chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of  paying it out. They would  have constant video monitoring, so they could be  helped instantly, if they fell, or needed  assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice  a week, and all clothing would be ironed  and returned  to them. A guard would check on them every 20  minutes and bring their  meals and snacks to their cell.

They  would have family visits in a suite built for  that purpose. They would  have access to a library, weight room, spiritual  counseling, pool and education.

Simple  clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid  would be free, on request.  Private, secure! rooms for all, with an exercise  outdoor yard, with gardens.  Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily  phone calls.

There would be a board of  directors to hear complaints, and the  guards would have  a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered  to.

The "criminals" would get cold food,  be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off  at 8pm, and showers once a  week. Live in a  tiny room and pay £900.00 per month and have no  hope of ever getting  out.

Justice for all we say

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:34:47 pm by Hugo »