The Local > Local News & Discussion

Memorials

(1/2) > >>

ed jones:

It's good to be able to be positive about a local Council. Yesterday Sunday 18th June was the re dedication of my Dad's Memorial on Llandudno Promenade.
This event had been organised by Louise Morris, the Deputy Town Clerk and Councillor Philip Evans. It went off without a hitch ( that I know of ). Short service on the Prom, everyone welcomed by Councillor Evans and the service was conducted by The Reverend John Nice, B.A. Lots of photos taken then everyone invited back to the Council Chamber for a first class spread.
On behalf of the Family I would like to express our sincere gratitude to the Town Council and especially to Louise Morris and Philip Evans for organising this splenid event. $walesflag$

ed jones:

Apologies, that will teach me to post before reviewing. Title should of course read Ted     NOT TEED.

SteveH:
Glad it all went well.

Typandy:
I have spent three years researching the names on the Llandudno War Memorial (Cenotaph) 1922, cross referencing them with the Roll of Honour 1921, and the marble tablets the Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church 1924. The lists are virtually identical though, being later, the Memorial Chapel has a few extra names.

HistoryPoints has over 30 warriors who are unknown (apart from their rank and regiment in most cases) but I have whittled that down to just four men:

Davies, Will (Denbigh) – said to be Private, Royal Garrison Artillery
Downes, G J (known to be George) – said to be Private, Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Jones, William Thomas – said to be Private, Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Roberts, Robert Griffith – said to be Sapper, Royal Engineers

But, more importantly, there appear to be several names missing from the War Memorial and from the Memorial Chapel. With the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War rapidly approaching, it is surely time to get the names added to the memorials. As far as I am aware, the Roll of Honour was only ever printed.

Probable Serious Omissions from War Memorial:

William Henry Davies (also from Memorial Chapel)
Arthur Edward Evans
Leonard Griffiths (also from Llanrhos Parish Memorial)
Thomas John Hughes (also from Memorial Chapel)
John Jones (Merchant Marine) (also from Memorial Chapel)
John Jones (RASC) (also from Memorial Chapel)
Horace Illes Powell (also from Memorial Chapel)
Morgan Scoltock Williams (also from Memorial Chapel, Llanrhos Parish Memorial)

Possible Omissions from War Memorial:

Trevor Austen Manning Davies (by virtue of being in the Memorial Chapel)
Guy Everingham (by virtue of being married to a Llandudno girl and being on her parents' stone in St Tudno's)
James and William Harvey (by virtue of being remembered in the family plot at St. Tudno's)
Robert Thomas Jones (by virtue being a Llandudno lad and having a registered war grave but who was accidentally killed after the war)
Philip Hebdon Lecomber (by virtue of being remembered on a stone in St Tudno's)
Edward John Roberts (by virtue of being remembered in the Memorial Chapel – died in July 1922 of heart disease, possibly caused by gassing – too late to be regarded as due to war service and not therefore recorded by CWGC. Not too late to get on the Memorial Chapel tablets. A better case for consideration than most I would suggest.

Of course, the criteria to have any of those above added to the Memorial Chapel and/or the War Memorial depends upon whether they would meet the eligibility as laid down by the Llandudno Urban District Council's War Memorial Committee and possibly the Llandudno Parochial Church Council. Ironically, the former committee was chaired by none other than Arthur Hewitt, chairman of the council who was the recruiting officer who sent most of these young men off to meet their fate! Unfortunately, the committee's minutes have been lost. It would appear that the Llandudno list is composed of those with a strong connection to the town including the Parish of Llandudno and part of the Parish of Llanrhos. Not included are those connected to Penrhynside or Deganwy.

If anyone is interested in helping to campaign to get the deserving additional names added to the War Memorial and to the Marble Tablets in the Memorial Chapel, of Holy Trinity Church, please comment.

The detailed biographies can be seen here http://llandudno-parish.org.uk/wordpress/

Andy

Cambrian:
That's very interesting research.  It does seem surprising that any anomalies were not resolved at the time between the end of the Great War and the unveiling of the War Memorial in November 1922 when events were fresh in people's minds.  Possibly some of the men were not actually resident and are commemorated on Memorials elsewhere.  They may have had family members who had a connection with Holy Trinity and thus had their names put on the memorial there. The list of names on Llandudno's War Memorial is  recorded in the Llandudno UDC minutes, together with Arthur Hewitt's address at the unveiling.  Hewitt himself saw service in the Great War. Another factor in all this is that Ecclesiastical Parish boundaries do not coincide with the Council ones.  Thus men from Craig y Don, for example, are on the Memorial in St Paul's Church and may not be on the Holy Trinity one. Llangwstennin and Penrhyn had their own Parish Councils and their fallen should be on the War Memorials at Penrhynside and Llandudno Junction respectively.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version