Author Topic: Messrs T Roberts Roby House (grocers & provisions)  (Read 19288 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Messrs T Roberts Roby House (grocers & provisions)
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »
I will have to take a look for that old sign and grab a photo.  $good$

That info was in an exhibition that was in the Victoria Centre during the 2010 Extravaganza - there was an old photo of Roby House together with the info. Don't think I have anything more to add to it but I shall take a look.

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:59 pm »
I did take some photos-here's one (I hope!) showing the sign. (I haven't uploaded any photos before, so hope this is ok!)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »
I wandered past yesterday and had a look - never noticed it until you said!  $good$

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 03:43:28 pm »
The sign doesn't show up very clearly in the picture, now that I've posted it- sorry! but I suppose its better than nothing!?!

Oh, and credit, where credit is due - it was actually my hubby who noticed the sign, and he was driving at the time!

Offline Leedood

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »
this may not be important but my great great great taid`s wife was called eleanor edwards before marriage and had a grace roberts aged 4 living in thier house as a boarder but no other roberts lived in this household it then works out that she married james Henry Roberts who was from originaly liverpool. The 1911 census says that they lived in Roby House Llewelyn st llandudno they aso had a daughter called Ettie Grace Roberts and 1 boarder and a servant / domestic living with them also . i dont know if this is of any use to you but its sort of thrown a spanner in the works with my family tree hunting

Offline dwsi

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
Jack posted this on the Re: Old Postcards Llandudno thread. On the bottom left of the photo is a shop with "T. Roberts" above the canopy. This is "Fountains" today. Is this of any help?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 01:44:21 am »
Jack posted this on the Re: Old Postcards Llandudno thread. On the bottom left of the photo is a shop with "T. Roberts" above the canopy. This is "Fountains" today. Is this of any help?

DaveR had already posted it on page 1 of this thread dwsi.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:13 pm »

DaveR had already posted it on page 1 of this thread dwsi.

DOH!!!  D)   

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »
It's a great photo, anyway, really sums up what Victorian Llandudno must have been like. Must have been so quiet without all the traffic noise.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »
I wandered past yesterday and had a look - never noticed it until you said!  $good$

No nor had I, but I  crossed the road to be able to see it this morning !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »
It's a great photo, anyway, really sums up what Victorian Llandudno must have been like. Must have been so quiet without all the traffic noise.

Absolutely and all the tree lined streets must have looked so wonderful whereas today streets are just cluttered with street furniture like bins and road signs etc and the lamposts today are hideous compared with those delightful crafted one from yesteryear.

Just look how much greenery used to surround the Roman Catholic church on the corner of St Marys and Lloyd Street.  I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to rip it all down and turn it into a carpark?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:02 pm »
Here's a close up of that sign:

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:22 am »
Your picture looks so much clearer than mine! Just shows what a decent camera, and someone who knows how to use it, can do!
Haven't been on this site (nor my computer very much for a while (health problems)
Thanks for all the extra info & pics!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 11:15:13 am »
Hope you are feeling better, Jackie. This has been a very interesting thread.  $good$

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 06:30:47 pm »
 Z** Just out of interest, the Mr Corris mentioned in Llechwedd's post 07/02/11 was Ron Corris who I remember very well. Ron was one of the best liked landlords in one of the then best liked pubs with one of the best liked pints of bitter (Bass) in town: The Snowdon. Deggsy Riddler was also one of Ron's best barmen (and a good friend). Bloody good darts team too - ours, The London, couldn't hold a Swan Vesta too them.
Micox