Author Topic: Leonard Curtis  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Curtis

Leonard Curtis
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:49:52 pm »
Hi wonder if anyone could help with some research relates to Towers hotel and Pearson Family.  After Clarie died in 1931 Leonard Curtis started a new hotel Curtis's Hotel Llandudno this was in 1933.  I wonder if anyone could give me any info on this or an address for it.  Also looking for records for St Andrews Church Llanrhos where Leonard was. I believe lay preacher around 1919  1921 Any small snippets would be great Many thanks

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Leonard Curtis
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:25:41 pm »
Curtis, there is info already about the family under Geneology and Research.      Just look below your posting and under the headings:-
The Pearson Family 1930's   and also under  Pearson/ Curtis family 1920's etc

There may some info that may help you.

Offline Curtis

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »
Thanks Hugo yeah I got all that info but its these 2 that will now complete the story, the date he moved to wales, the church in llanrhos and the info on Curtis Hotel

Offline Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:20:27 pm »
I'm not sure there was a St Andrew's Church in Llanrhos although there was one of the same name, a 'tin' mission church, on Trinity Avenue in Llandudno. Perhaps this is the one? The archives on Lloyd Street might be a starting point.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »
St Andrew's Church was in Trinity Avenue Llandudno but was in the Parish of Eglwysrhos ( Llanrhos)   and if my memory is correct the very first Baptism in the Church was in 1922 and that was "Cynthia Curtis"   
Her name was actually Eveline  Hyacinth Curtis and the Baptism record showed that the parents were Charles and Emma Curtis but this was incorrect as you can see at  pg2 from The Pearson Family posting.

The Towers Hotel was in Trinity Square and there was an annexe a few doors away in the same street.    I posted an obituary notice for his widow on pg 1 of the Pearson Family 1930's and it describes the work Leonard Curtis did for St Andrew's Church

There are photos too of the Towers Hotel  and St Andrew's Church somewhere on those forum postings

Offline Curtis

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:09:22 am »
Hi Hugo many thanks for your reply, Eveline or Cynthia as she was known in family was my aunt.  You were so helpful last time with the info for my daughter Steph and myself.  Think that must have been that church which would explain how he met Clarie/ Clara.  Just wish I could now find out more about Curtis Hotel in 1933. I know he wasnt there long as my uncle was born in 1935 in Sheffield.  My  Great Aunt told me about the Curtis hotel and that he went bankrupt and that is why he left Wales in 1935 Would just like an idea of where hotel was Many thanks

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:41:47 am »
Curtis, St Andrews is the Church that Leonard was involved with and there is a photo of the corrugated building that once stood on the site in Trinity Avenue but it was demolished many years ago.
As for the Curtis Hotel, I have never heard of it but perhaps someone else on the forum can shed some light on it.   There are street indexes in the Conwy Archives that help to locate people and places but they only have ones for 1922, 1926, 1929 and 1939 that fit in with Leonard's time here.
When I go to the Archives next I'll have a look around to see what they have that can help.

Offline Curtis

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 10:55:06 am »
Many Thanks

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 03:31:08 pm »
Curtis,   I was in the Conwy Archives today and had a look at one of the 1920's Street Index.  These indexes also list people alphabetical so are easy to locate anyone.
I couldn't read the year of the Street Index but in the one I looked at showed the following info:-
Mrs C Curtis      Towers Hotel   Trinity Square   Llandudno
Leonard Curtis    The Hague and the Harbour  13 & 15 Charlton Street    Llandudno

Now this is the interesting bit,  I've taken a photo of the Towers Hotel  as it is today  (now converted into apartments)     It's a big building but in actual fact the original Towers Hotel must have been the end bit.    Numbers 13 & 15 are attached to it and my second photo shows what must have been the original entrance to No's 13 & 15 Charlton Street

What happened to merge the three buildings I've got no idea whatsoever but it must have been extremely difficult to sort this out following the divorce and death of Clara Curtis nee Pearson

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:41:20 pm »
Hugo/Curtis

The 1939 street directory shows 13 and 15 Charlton Street as being "Towers Hotel" proprietor T Pearson.
I can recall an entrance into the Towers off Charlton Street until it was converted into flats but I think it may have only been one of the doorways shown in the photo, the other was not used.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:56 pm »
Leonard Curtis left the area in the early 1930's so the Pearson family must have bought it or come to some arrangement with the Curtis family for No 13 & 15 Charlton Street and that's probably why T Pearson is shown as the proprietor in the 1939 Street Index.