Author Topic: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay  (Read 30885 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Penrhyn Bay
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2023, 10:14:32 am »
Rock blasted from the quarries of North Wales will help protect a coastal community in Conwy. Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK, has been appointed by Conwy Borough Council to deliver ?7.5m worth of shoreside improvements as part of the Penrhyn Bay development.

The Ruthin-based company will procure and import 70,000 tonnes of rock armour, sourced from North Wales quarries. It will be built in a T-shape rock groyne to reduce beach erosion and minimise the impact of stormy weather and associated coastal flooding.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-coastal-community-being-protected-26324667?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2023, 10:44:24 am »
Back in the 1960s my mother and I lived in Penrhyn Bay for a time. The last house down Glan y Mor Road came up for sale, the one that has the sea at the back. My mother was keen to buy this but I think it was the survey that showed there was a crack in the sea wall behind it. I am not sure it got as far as a survey but somehow she discovered about the crack in the sea wall. In view of the fact there was a risk the sea wall could collapse in a storm, she decided to leave it. I wonder what happened to the sea wall, whether it was ever repaired, or just left?

I say Glan y Mor Road but cannot be 100% certain of that after the passage of time. It was a house that stood at the end of the road coming down from the Little Orme which backed on to the sea. This was pre the new housing being built there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2023, 02:12:11 pm »
That sounds very much like Glan Y Mor Road Helig.  In those early days of the 1960's it was a rough surfaced and unadopted road and the Electric Tram used to run along the road.   The continuation of the road past the Rhos on Sea Golf Club was unsurfaced too and there was no sea wall to  speak of as the sea often broke over the road and flooded the golf course.      The road by the Golf Course must have been private as that section had a Toll Booth and even pedestrians had to pay to go along it

The coastline along there always had problems with the sea and I remember trying to buy a plot of land in what was then the new estate at Penrhyn Beach.   The land was in the street called Penrhyn Beach East and was on the shore side but I was aware of erosion problems beforehand.   The negotiations  took over 3 months and my solicitor wouldn't let me sign to buy the land until I had read the soil report  I collected the soil report the day before signing for the land and spent 4 hours reading it
As a result of the contents in the report I withdrew from the sale and I still regard it as the best thing I have ever done and feel sure that your parents would have felt the same

The sea defence has been improved since and I believe at no cost to the residents so that's a good thing

Offline mull

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2023, 11:22:37 am »
Can remember in the early 1950's the tram track on the seaward side being washed away.
Until the Tram service finished in 1956 there was a single line section approx 100 metres long so the service could keep running.
As Hugo says that section of road was owned by LCBER Coy ( trams ) and they charged a toll to use it.

I hope the new sea defences have been designed by someone who knows what they are doing. Another West Shore would be a disaster.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2023, 03:25:58 pm »
I hope these photos bring back some nice memories Mull, including the third one with a view from Penrhynside

Offline mull

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2023, 11:11:29 am »
Lots of happy memories there Hugo. Thank you for posting them.

Sorry to hear Lynda and you have caught Covid.  Hope you both have a quick and full recovery.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2023, 03:02:28 pm »
Thanks Mull we're doing ok but just washed out today,     I hope that you can both stay safe and well up there on the island

Offline SteveH

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2023, 09:43:18 am »
Noisy work on major coastal defence scheme can take place from 5am to 10pm
'You can?t make an omelette without breaking an egg'

Residents must tolerate loud "banging and crashing" from coastal defence work starting at 5am and finishing at 10pm after councillors agreed workers could start earlier and finish later. Conwy?s environment, roads, and facilities department applied to the council?s own planning department, seeking permission for the variation of agreed planning conditions.

Council contractors are currently carrying out coastal defence work on Penrhyn Bay beach and promenade. Whilst Conwy has planning permission to carry out noisy work between 7.30am and 7.30pm Monday to Friday, councillors on Conwy?s planning committee agreed at a meeting at Bodlondeb to extend the hours the contractor can operate.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/noisy-work-major-coastal-defence-26895659

Offline SteveH

« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2023, 08:04:07 am »
THE Penrhyn Bay promenade has reopened months after a refurbishment project on the area started.   ref  pioneer

The ?7.5million council project, which started in January, has seen updates to the caf? bar, a new pedestrian and cyclist crossing point and the installation of a disability ramp for access to the beach.

The area opposite the Beach Caf? Bar has had new surfacing, seating, and handrailing fitted.

Bike lock-up areas and bike pumping points have also been added to the promenade, and traffic lights have made way for a zebra crossing near the Beach Caf? Bar.

A Conwy County Council spokesperson said: ?Penrhyn Bay promenade is now open to pedestrians and cyclists.

?There will be section still closed on the upper level opposite the Golf Club for safety around the site entrance.

?Work is continuing on building the T-shape groyne coastal defence.?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2023, 10:06:15 am »
Join the club.............

A remodelled promenade and adjacent cycle path has finally opened in a seaside town after months of work. Residents in Conwy have applauded Penrhyn Bay's new-look prom but there have been stirrings of unrest over one apparent omission.

As in the neighbouring resort of Llandudno, there is some dismay over the absence of a sandy beach. Instead, 55,000 cubic metres of shingle is being imported to ?nourish? Penrhyn Bay beach.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/amazing-new-prom-opens-north-27211435

Offline Hugo

« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2023, 11:39:37 am »
That cycle track looks good and probably cost a lot, let's hope that the cyclists use it and don't cycle on the road instead

Offline SteveH

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2023, 10:36:09 am »
A FB photo of the finished work?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2023, 09:38:01 am »
A CIVIL engineering firm based in Ruthin has been rated ?excellent? for its site practices on a multi-million-pound coastal defence scheme. 

Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK activity, to deliver ?7.5m of shoreside improvements at Penrhyn Bay to reduce beach erosion, has been scored by the Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS). 

The organisation aims to raise standards in construction by ensuring contractors are responsibly carrying out builds through an independent and rigorous monitoring process, which rates projects on their consideration for the environment, community, and workforce.

Full story   https://www.denbighshirefreepress.co.uk/news/23819080.considerate-constructors-scheme-applauds-jones-bros/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2023, 10:13:15 am »
PLANS for a new 21-home development in Penrhyn Bay have been held up by the news that the firm contracted to deliver the scheme has entered voluntary liquidation.

Mochdre-based Brenig Construction was confirmed to have gone into voluntary liquidation last week.

It had been awarded the contract to carry out the Plas Penrhyn affordable homes project by Gwynedd-based housing association, Adra.

Adra said the scheme is ?still in its early stages? and will look for other contractors to complete the works.

A spokesperson for Adra Housing Association said: ?Adra received news on Wednesday that Brenig Construction Limited had entered voluntary liquidation. This is very sad news for the company.

?Since we received the news, we have taken urgent action to protect our site where Brenig Construction were active.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23909254.penrhyn-bay-development-stalls-mochdre-contractors-liquidation/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2023, 09:30:21 am »
A large chunk of a North Wales beach was relocated as part of a major seafront project. Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK has become the first company to successfully move an entire shore-sized habitat of honeycomb reef worm as part of its work on a crucial coastal defence scheme.

In what is thought to be a world first, workers saved a large section of Sabellaria alveolata habitat after laying down around 1,000 tonnes of beach material to form the foundations at the now completed Penrhyn Bay project. The Ruthin-based company?s multi-million-pound contract included procuring and importing around 60,000 tonnes of rock armour.

A T-shape rock groyne was then constructed to reduce erosion and minimise the impact of stormy weather and associated flooding. As part of plans to rehome slabs of honeycomb worm, which were delicately extracted from under the footprint of the new groyne, driven directly to their new habitat a short distance away. It was positioned carefully to preserve their original orientation and structure with Jones Bros enlisting the support of CloudBase Productions Ltd.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shore-sized-chunk-beach-moved-28313598?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589