Author Topic: Little Orme Quarries  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Jelly Baby

Little Orme Quarries
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:24:24 am »
I'm trying to figure out what work these men are doing? The first photo is of my Uncle, John Jones; the second shows him having a tea break with 2 workmates, (that's him standing on the right) and the 3rd is another member of the work party. They look to me as if they are laying paving slabs, not slate. Could they be building some sort of sea defence - Rhos-on-Sea or Penrhyn Bay perhaps?
It's been suggested they were working for the Little Orme quarries. My Uncle, though born in Liverpool in 1908, lived in Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside, where many of the slate quarry workers boarded. When he married my Aunt in 1933, they lived at MP until their deaths.
Given his DOB of 1908, and working on the assumption that he would be 20s, early 30s in this photo, I would suggest the pics are from the mid-late 1930s.
Does anyone know anything about this work? Or who the other workers might be?

Offline Jelly Baby

Re: Little Orme Quarries
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:09 am »
I'm "tecknologically challenged" and have only managed to add 1 photo! I suppose I will get better in due course..... :rage:
I keep getting that annoying message "This page cannot be displayed" - I really am hitting my pooter with a hammer right now!!!
Oh! It worked! Don't ask me how, it just did!!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:45 am »
It looks to me as though they are building sea defences for one of the houses in the seafront in Penrhyn Bay.

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:33:56 am »
Thanks, DaveR, that's what I thought. Any further ideas of who, when, why, etc?
Pretty speedy reply too! I was still struggling with the photos!!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:56:49 am »
They are good clear  photos and as Dave has already said the workers are building a sea defence/ landscape gardening and it looks like the properties are in Cliff Drive Penrhyn Bay.

Here are some photos of the Little Orme quarry