Author Topic: Walking  (Read 842384 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1695 on: March 25, 2016, 10:01:03 am »
       That's a good walk Hugo, and some great photos as well. I've done a bit in the lower levels of Dinorwic after leaving the car in the lay-by after Dinorwig and walking down through the trees to the viewpoint built out on the waste tip above the Slate Museum and the Barracks and then on through the lower levels towards Nant Peris.
       Which way did you go from the gate by the long incline behind the big long shed situated by the viewpoint in order to access the higher levels and the tunnels shown in your pics and the Australian levels?  I can see the winding track back that you took back down shown in your last pic on Google Maps, so is that the way you went up or is there another route as there seemed to be a lot of fenced-off restricted areas on the lower levels, (although we did spot a few well-equipped climbers carrying ropes etc. scaling the fences.......).

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1696 on: March 25, 2016, 11:42:47 am »
Thanks Gwynant,  we parked our car in the bus terminus in Deiniolen so as to save the hike up from the Museum area.   Then we passed that long shed and turned left after it.
You'll see a fence and a gate ahead and we climbed over it. Don't go near the incline on the left and  there is a route on a ledge to the right but don't go that way either.  The path is straight ahead of you going upwards. 
The first thing you'll come to are the tunnels and it's the second tunnel on the right that has the rail track and the two tunnels diverging inside. Don't forget a torch though!
Take the path up to the next level and you'll see the workmen's huts and lots of machinery scattered about and after you have seen that take the path up to the next level.
When you get to the Australian level you'll see a building with a rusty old tank above it so keep going right  until you come to the old sawmill.
Our walk continued above that level but the most interesting part of the walk really finished at the saw mill.
I've enclosed a link that shows you what you can look forward to seeing if you do it, avoid wet days though as those slates are very slippery.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGl5fK3tvLAhUL1xQKHYDJCoUQFgg6MAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.28dayslater.co.uk%2Fdinorwic-quarry-australia-level-llanberis-july-2011.t68976&usg=AFQjCNHQgHGStdNJO8JLGDW7tjikL1JKiQ

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1697 on: March 25, 2016, 12:20:11 pm »
       $good$         That's great Hugo, thanks very much for the directions and the attached link. I'll look forward to doing it sometime this year. I've often walked above there coming down on the path past the huge vertical vent above Dinorwig Power Station after doing the Carnedd Filiast - Mynydd Perfedd - Elidir Fawr Horseshoe route on the way back to the car in Deiniolen, but you don't appreciate the massive drops into the quarries from that track.
                  $thanx$   $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1698 on: March 25, 2016, 03:08:20 pm »
Good luck if you do the walk Gwynant, it's an interesting walk anyway but especially if anyone is interested in the history of that area.   That incline that you mentioned is very steep and long but once you are up there you'll find another one that is as equally steep and long.
I'm pleased that you mentioned the huge vertical vent above the Dinorwig Power Station as our walk went just below it.  We didn't go and see it but I was looking at the vent on Google earth and wondered what it was.
That was a good walk you did  on the Carnedd Filiast- Mynydd Perfedd -  Elidir Fawr Horseshoe, it must have been quite a pull going up there from Deiniolen.
The first time I went up Elidir Fawr was from Nant Peris and my friend Geraint showed me the way up.   It's quite a slog anyway but before we went up the mountains in those days we used to have one of the great big breakfasts in Pete's Eats and a large mug of coffee.
That's one lesson I learnt on that day--- Don't have a meal like that beforehand!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1699 on: March 26, 2016, 04:26:38 pm »
Tryfan walker dies after 150ft Snowdonia mountain fall

Such a tragic end for a day out walking.   

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35903327

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1700 on: April 01, 2016, 07:23:54 pm »
One stupid airhead who is lucky to be alive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ben-nevis-sara-albone-selfie-stick-shorts-rescued-15c-admits-could-have-died-a6960846.html

Woman rescued from Ben Nevis 'with shorts and selfie stick' in blizzard admits she 'could have died'
A woman was rescued from Britain's highest mountain after attempting an ascent while wearing summer clothes and carrying just a selfie stick and chocolate rabbit for supplies, according to reports. Sara Albone, 28, became disorientated and began to develop hypothermia after being caught in blizzard conditions while wearing shorts and trainers on Ben Nevis, it is understood. She was found by chance while lost on the North Face of the 4,400ft peak, in Scotland's Grampian Mountains where several climbers have been killed in recent months.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1701 on: April 01, 2016, 09:26:52 pm »
Unfortunately one of many....   :(     

And as the article says..  "Being irresponsible means others have to go out of their way to help,"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1702 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:29 pm »
We drove down to Beddgelert on Wednesday and after travelling through the rain in the Conwy Valley we were pleasantly surprised by how nice and sunny it was.   Moel Hebog looked impressive and inviting  as it towered above the village but  we had settled for a more leisurely stroll along the river instead.   After parking the  car just outside the village we crossed the bridge where the two rivers converge and then went through the nice ornamental gate that took us to Gelert’s grave .      The "grave" is ascribed to the activities of a late 18th-century landlord of the Goat Hotel in Beddgelert,  David Pritchard, who concocted  the legend to the village in order to encourage tourism.
Although the story of Gelert is made up,  it obviously does encourage tourism as David Pritchard intended because it was very  busy with tourists coming to visit the grave and the concrete paths that they have built around the area are very impressive indeed
We took a few photos there and  continued on the path towards Aberglaslyn Pass, stopping by the level crossing as a steam train from the WHR passed by filled with passengers on their way to Porthmadoc.  We then crossed the railway line and walked along the fast flowing river until we came to a good view of the Aberglalyn Pass.
This was as far as we were going, so we turned back and after crossing the railway line walked along the other side of the river back to the car.   We then headed for Caffi Gwynant   where we enjoyed a coffee and cake in the pleasant surroundings of this converted Chapel and afterwards returned home.   It was an easy enjoyable walk and a chance for the three of us to get out together.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1703 on: April 08, 2016, 12:18:52 pm »
Beddgelert walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1704 on: April 10, 2016, 02:36:05 pm »
Walker dies after falling on Snowdonia's Crib Goch ridge.   That's another tragic accident on a difficult walking route

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-36009972

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1705 on: April 11, 2016, 09:25:52 am »
Walker dies after falling on Snowdonia's Crib Goch ridge.   That's another tragic accident on a difficult walking route
           Apparently he was in a party on the way back down Crib Goch after turning back due to weather conditions. I'm sure you will agree Hugo, Crib Coch, like Bristly Ridge in the Glyders, is a difficult scramble to ascend but a very challenging and risky descent. I have only ascended both as I used to hate coming down backwards "facing the rock". Very sad.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1706 on: April 11, 2016, 12:04:53 pm »
You are correct Gwynant, coming down the ridge is much harder than going up it.    The Crib is dangerous on the best of days and I wouldn't even think of going up it unless the weather was perfect.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1707 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »
What a beautiful evening it was for a stroll on the Little Orme. The seals were making an eerie howling noise.
A prelude to a delicious meal at the skip, more on this in the restaurant thread!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1708 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:59 pm »
That's a nice way of ending  a pleasant evening Hollins,  I love that third photo it's really effective

Offline hollins

« Reply #1709 on: April 20, 2016, 08:36:26 am »
Thanks Hugo. Mr H took that one. I only had my phone with me having left my wonder camera at my mum's house at the weekend. With all the excitement of the birthday party I left it there.
I am happy to report that my mum made it to 90 a few days ahead of the queen.
We had friends over from Switzerland for the party and one of them took this great photo last night on the Little Orme.