Author Topic: Walking  (Read 837140 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1170 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »
It was nice to hear that Mr Hollins was back in action.  Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay there but don't let him overdo it.
You're in Micox's adopted part of the country over there and although it's pretty I think Mike still misses the hills and mountains of home.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1171 on: August 18, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »
Hi,  An old friend asked me to take him for a walk in the hills the other day. We went to LLyn Ogwen where we had intended to walk from Ogwen cottage up to Llyn Idwal and back. In the end we decided to ascend slightly to just below the Devil's Kitchen. The path crosses a stream which was in full spate so we decided to stop just  to admire the view of Llyn Idwal with Pen yr Ole Wen behind it before returning. I thought I would attach a few pictures,its a well known walk but one I have done many times before. It was so quiet far away from the madding crowds. The only noise being the helicopter which flew along the ridge. The waterfall pic is just behind Ogwen cottage.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1172 on: August 18, 2013, 04:57:26 pm »
oooops ! We parked at Llyn Ogwen and walked to Llyn Idwal! Mea culpa .
I hope have been able to amend the text using"modify" !

Offline hollins

« Reply #1173 on: August 18, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »
Gorgeous clear photos rhuddlan.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1174 on: August 21, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »
Yesterday I had a very enjoyable circular walk with 7 other OAP's when we walked to Capel Garmon from the Fairy Glen car park.    It started with the usual skirmish with the farmer who thought that we hadn't paid our dues until he checked the money box and found that it was accounted for.  We then set off on our way and crossed the A5 where we climbed steeply through the trees until we reached the forest road and the angle eased considerably.  The walk then was undulating and the higher we walked the more spectacular were the views.  Before long we reached the compact village of Capel Garmon and walked along the street and had our sandwiches and drinks sitting on the wall of the now closed White Horse Inn.  Most of the group had never been to the village before and knew little of it's history, but I've seen it in different times and enjoyed many a nice meal and a drink or three in the bar of the White Horse Inn and on some nights have been treated to some fine Welsh singing.
Now though the place is in a sorry state and the village needs some urgent TLC.  the old school house though was still looking fine and looked after.  In the main street which is about 100 yards long the pub, church, chapel and village shop have all closed and as I was walking along I noticed that there may have been a second shop in this small street judging from it's appearance.   We left the village and travelled to the 4000- 4500 year old Neolithic Burial Chamber and spent some time there before travelling downhill  to the Conwy Falls CafĂ©.   I've never been in there before but it is really nice and the staff are very pleasant too.  A coffee latte and a piece of chocolate brownie went down very well before we set off on the last part of our walk which was down the narrow and steep stage coach road that took us back to Fairy Glen where we had a walk down to the Glen and along the banks of the River Conwy as it merged with the River Lledr and then back to the car park and home.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1175 on: August 21, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »
Capel Garmon Walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1176 on: August 23, 2013, 05:13:45 pm »
We had a lovely walk over the Little Orme yesterday and in to town. Great view from up there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1177 on: September 06, 2013, 12:41:37 pm »
Yesterday, three of us decided to do a leisurely walk in Aberffraw on Anglesey but before we started we stopped at Porth Trecastell  ( Cable Bay) and had a quick walk to see Barclodiau y Grawes which is one of the most famous prehistoric relics on the island.  After that we continued to Aberffraw and parked at the Llewelyn Heritage Centre.
The walk started in the village and after a short trip up the lane we headed across open fields until we came out by the causeway which leads to the ancient Church of St Cwyfan which is situated at the top of a tiny walled island.  We climbed up the steps and had a look at the few scattered gravestones that remain there.  One of which was of a young man who drowned in nearby Porth Trecastell the  bay that we had come from.    The Church door was locked as usual so we sat on a bench behind the Church and looked across the Irish Sea while we had our refreshments.  The mountain ranges from the Carneddau down to Aberdaron were clearly visible as was Bardsey Island and while we were looking at what appeared to be a mirage between Bardsey Island and the mainland, Pete's eagle eyes spotted some Dolphins leaping up out of the water.  We were entertained by them for a while and stayed longer than intended but it was lucky for us because three people arrived with keys to the Church.  One of them was a young woman who had brought some things over for her wedding there in two weeks time.  We had a good look around inside the Church and then left after wishing the future bride all the best for the forthcoming event.   We continued then along the Aberffraw headland and around to the small estuary and to the old bridge and headed to a large Chapel that was in the process of being converted into holiday apartments.  We spoke to the builder who very kindly showed us around the conversion and it has been very sympathetically converted blending the old with the new. From there it was back to the Llewelyn Centre for a coffee and a look around the museum there.    It was a cold day and the Church is in a rather exposed position so I hope the weather will be kinder for the bride on her big day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1178 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:54 pm »
Aberffraw walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1179 on: September 14, 2013, 12:06:51 pm »
Yesterday, we did a walk that we had been looking forward to for a while.  The walk was from the Ogwen Valley, up the metalled access road to Carnedd Llewelyn (3485 ft)  via Ffynnon Llugwy Reservoir and then returning by Carnedd Dafydd (3423ft)  and Pen Yr Ole Wen  (3211ft).   
Wayne and Pete hadn't done the walk before and had been looking forward to seeing the views from the Carneddau mountain that I had been describing to them.   Heavy clouds hung over the peaks as we pulled our way up the water board road but we were not unduly put off because the weather forecast was good and a dry day expected so we were counting on the Sun burning off the cloud base.  After a while we reached Ffynnon Llugwy and paused there to have a drink and a breather before we set of for the steep ascent up to the ridge of Pen Yr Helgi Du.   There has been severe erosion on the path and the large wire mesh baskets filled with stones had collapsed in a number of spots.  Once on the ridge we looked down into the large remote valley of Cwm Eigiau and remembered our walk there earlier this year.  The ridge at first has steep drops on either side and then comes to a reasonable rocky scramble that took us to Craig Yr Ysfa where the views through the gullies are a bit scary.  We then looked to Carnedd Llewelyn and set off along the upward path to the summit.  As we started walking the weather took a turn for the worse and we donned our wet weather gear.   The summit was reached in a reasonable time but we didn't stay there long as the visibility had dropped to 50 yards or less and it was pouring down. We decided to continue to Carnedd Dafydd and Pen Yr Ole Wen and this tested our navigation skills to the limit.  Along the route we met 4 other individuals who were either keen walkers or a bit nuts like us.  We couldn't see anything so we concentrated on our footing on the wet slippery rocks but as we were descending the steep section of Pen Yr Ole Wen Pete took a tumble and hurt his knee badly but was still able to continue walking, albeit with a marked limp!    One section of the descent is tricky at the best of times when you have to navigate your way down a chimney like bit of the rock face but we managed it going very carefully down.   The last part was along a boggy section made worse by the recent rainfall.  From the A5 it was another mile back to the car and no time for a coffee as it was straight back home to dry out and have a relaxing bath after our nine mile walk. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1180 on: September 14, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »
Carnedd Llewelyn walk

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1181 on: September 14, 2013, 03:03:26 pm »
         That's a good strenuous walk Hugo, shame about the weather!  I hope your mate's knee is OK. I took a fall on wet ground on the final section of Offa's Dyke above Prestatyn a few months ago and I'm still restricted by a pulled thigh/hip muscle and knee strain. It always seems to happen on the descent, mind you I've never fancied going down Pen-yr-Ole Wen ever, even in the dry! A good few years ago on a Good Friday a group of us got a lift to Ogwen Cottage and set off straight up Pen-yr-Ole-Wen, on up to Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewellyn and then down the Carneddau ridge to Drum, Bwlch-y-Ddeufaen and then round Tal-y-Fan and on over  Pensychnant and Conwy Mountain and finally finished up in the old "Farmer's Arms" in Deganwy. We decided (in the "Farmer's" that night!), that we would do it on Good Friday every year but it never happened for some reason! 
        Another marathon we used to do when we were younger (and fitter!) was to leave the cars at Pen-y-Gaer above Llanbedr-y-Cennin and then go up to Carnedd Llewellyn via Drum and Foel Fras, down across Craig-yr-Ysfa, up over Pen-yr-Helgu Du and Pen Llithrig-y-Wrach and then down past the old quarry workings at Cedryn and back along the floor of Cwm Eigiau past the burst dam and back over to the start at Pen-y-Gaer.   
         Those were the days!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1182 on: September 14, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »
Careful you lads, don't overdo it!
 :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1183 on: September 14, 2013, 03:45:42 pm »
You've certainly done some marathon walks in your time Gwynant and I hope that your leg soon gets better.  I'm sure that when your injuries heal you'll do some more.
I like walking up the face of Pen Yr Ole Wen, rather than the other route up it past Ffynnon Lloer but it is quite an effort and you need a good supply of water with you too.
One time I did it with a regular walking friend of mine and as I'm only a month younger than his mother I put my one and a half litre bottle of water in his rucksack and claimed that my rucksack was not big enough to hold the bottle.   He still beat me very easily to the top but by that time I had drunk most of the water.    That stretch is real thirsty work.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1184 on: September 14, 2013, 03:51:07 pm »
Careful you lads, don't overdo it!
 :)

That's very kind thing to say Hollins,  "Lads" that is.     When the three of us were walking through the rain and mist yesterday we remarked that our average age was 64,  so perhaps there is still life in the old dogs.     ;D