Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820671 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #870 on: October 08, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »
Hi Gwynant
The path across Cefn Tal Llyn Eigiau was open yesterday, never heard of it being closed but maybe it is at lambing time? Jack
           Thanks for that Jack. It was about 3 months ago that someone told me about the closure. He said that it had been blocked by the farmer so the lambing theory could be correct. Thanks again.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #871 on: October 08, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Jack,  we were stuck on two walks to do on Saturday and went for the Llanfairfechan Upland walk because neither of us had done the walk before. The other one was the Cwm Eigiau walk which we will do later sometime.    That photo of the peat mound was interesting,do you know anything about it?

Gwynant,  last winter we saw a Stoat on the moorland on the Penmaenmawr side and it was white and in its Winter coat.  I'm hoping to take my friends to Carnedd Llewelyn via the steep section of Pen Yr Ole Wen but at the moment my knee is dodgy because of the descent on the scree from Glyder Fach so that may be put on hold until next year as the walk is quite strenuous.

Offline Jack

« Reply #872 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:52 pm »
Hi Hugo, No I don't know anything about the peat rounds on the summit of Cefn Tal Llyn Eigiau but there are a few of them but this one was so perfectly round it was the most photogenic!  I've just done a quick search on google also and that hasn't helped,if you find anything out could you post it because I'm really fascinated.
I guess you've been up the car park at Llyn Eigiau many times but I was surprised how busy it was, I arrived at about 7.20 am and there were only three spaces left.  I guess it isn't as busy in the week though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #873 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:42 pm »
7.20AM    :o 
 my alarm clock doesn't go off until 8.30AM    :) 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #874 on: October 21, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »
Yesterday six of us set out to do the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct walk and we met at the Eisteddfod field in Llangollen for the start of our walk.  The canal is nearby so we went on to the towpath and immediately on our left was a pretty black and white timbered cottage that looked so tranquil with all the ducks feeding on the lawn. Turning to our right we headed to the Wharf Tea Rooms and waited there while they made some sandwiches for one of our members.  Then it was over the bridge and up the steep winding track to the Castle.  If anyone has been up this route they will know that it's quite steep so for this part of the walk we were fortunate that the weather was overcast and not too hot but it didn't stop a few of us from struggling up the slope.  Once up at the top of Dinas Bran the pull was worth it for the wonderful views in all directions.  The Aqueduct was visible from there too although it seemed a long way away and it was as we found out later!       After a quick stop there to get our breath back we headed for Trevor Rocks and the Offa's Dyke Path that was to take us part of the way to Trevor.   The weather had picked up by then and it was sunny and warm  so some of our gear came off and we walked along the path enjoying the views and the sunshine.  There were dozens of like minded people doing the same and it was nice to see them making the most of the weather.    We left the path after a while and headed down through the woods, passing Trefor Hall and followed the lane to the main road where we turned left towards Trefor but then took the public footpath which led us to a road and a bridge that had great views of the Aqueduct above and also in the other direction to a building that at one time must have been a water mill. 
It was a walk uphill then until we reached the other side of the aqueduct and we stopped there for lunch as by then we had all built up a healthy appetite.  After having our refreshments we then crossed the 126 feet high aqueduct that Thomas Telford built. It took ten years to build at a cost of £47K and is now a World Heritage site.  In Trefor Basin we picked up another friend and the seven of us then followed the canal for four and a half miles back to Llangollen.   The canal overlooks the River Dee and the whole of the Llangollen Valley and this part of the walk is very easy walking but in addition to the views and Autumn tinted trees, you are rewarded with a variety of wildlife like Ducks, Buzzards and other birds as well as seeing the fish rising up in the waters of the canal.  Soon we reached the Wharf Tea Rooms where we stopped for coffees and that was the end of our walk, but we are planning to return here again soon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #875 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »
Llangollen Aqueduct walk

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #876 on: October 21, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »
how much more colorful are the photos in the Autumn, beautiful

Offline hollins

« Reply #877 on: October 22, 2012, 12:05:54 pm »
I agree, lovely autumn colours and looks like a great walk Hugo.
Here are a few photos from a walk we did in the Bernese Alps in Switzerland last week. Despite being in the mountains you are never very far from a nice cafe and there is nearly always a cable car on hand to help you up or down if you have too much lunch! ;D

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #878 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:46 pm »
           Hugo, we did the low level version of your Llangollen walk earlier this year, and since then I have wanted to go up to Castell Dinas Bran, and after seeing your pics I will have to make the effort! We left the car in the free Forestry car park behind the Chain Bridge Hotel in Berwyn (just off the A5) and went over the pedestrian bridge to the Hotel and down to the canal. We then followed the canal towpath down to Llangollen and then continued down to the viaduct at Pontcysyllte, which was approximately 6 miles and beautiful scenery throughout, where we walked up to the main road at Trevor and caught a No.5 GHA bus to Llangollen (every 15 mins), and after a bite to eat caught the X94 GHA bus (every 2 hours) back up to the car at Berwyn. These pics show the views en route.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #879 on: October 22, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »
Despite being in the mountains you are never very far from a nice cafe
I like the sound of Switzerland!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #880 on: October 22, 2012, 06:16:33 pm »
OMG Hollins I should need a hoist if I ate all those chips-- they look lovely though !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #881 on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »
You've all been on some fantastic walks lately and I've enjoyed seeing your lovely photos while I've been stuck at my desk.   $thanx$

Hollins, I'm glad to see you restrained yourself long enough to photograph your lunch!   ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #882 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:19 am »
Gwynant, I'm glad that you enjoyed the canal walk in Llangollen and it looks like you had nice weather too.    Another walk we did in Llangollen last year was the Llangollen History Trail.  That meant walking along the canal to the Horseshoe Falls and then going up Velvet Hill to the Valle Crucis Abbey and finishing at Dinas Bran.   It was a lovely walk of 6 miles but was quite steep in parts and took about 4 hours to complete.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #883 on: October 23, 2012, 11:22:53 am »
Hollins,  breathtaking scenery over there in Switzerland and I hope the chips tasted as nice as they looked. 

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #884 on: October 23, 2012, 02:14:13 pm »
    Another walk we did in Llangollen last year was the Llangollen History Trail.  That meant walking along the canal to the Horseshoe Falls and then going up Velvet Hill to the Valle Crucis Abbey and finishing at Dinas Bran.   It was a lovely walk of 6 miles but was quite steep in parts and took about 4 hours to complete.

Thanks For that info Hugo, I'll mark that down for the future.  $thanx$