Author Topic: Walking  (Read 843995 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2535 on: March 31, 2024, 09:55:00 am »
Last night I watched the whole series on I player as all three episodes are available now.   I won't spoil it for anyone by making any comments but I'll still watch it again when it next comes on BBC 2 TV

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking........We try out a park and ride bus
« Reply #2536 on: April 07, 2024, 09:47:23 am »
We try out a park and ride bus to see if it helps avoid Eryri traffic mayhem
Is this an alternative to driving in tourist-clogged national park?

Concerns about over tourism, parking chaos, littering and general friction have blighted the start of the tourist season in parts of Eryri - and the situation will only get more fraught in the coming months.

Daytrippers are urged to use the park and ride buses rather than park illegally but just how viable are they? Aiming to find out if it was a potential answer to avoiding traffic mayhem, I drove to the park and ride car park in Nant Peris (LL55 4UF) near Llanberis.

It's certainly well-signposted with a large "P" and picture of a bus off the A4086. I was surprised at how big the car park was and the toilets are modern and clean. (Inside, there were pictures of a costumed warrior with the anti-litter message suggesting "Legends leave no trace").

I paid ?5 to park for up to eight hours, which gave me more than enough time, and joined the queue for the Number S5 service to Pen-y-Pass.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/try-out-park-ride-bus-28942294?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2537 on: April 07, 2024, 12:25:02 pm »
That's how we always used to go up Snowdon.   We knew of a free parking space in Llanberis and caught the bus up to Pen Y Pass using our OAP bus pass.    No cost whatsoever to us and no inconvenience to any residents in the area

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2538 on: April 14, 2024, 02:49:04 pm »
Yesterday Tellytubby and I met up for a short walk on the Great Orme.   I had planned a walk but because of parking restrictions on the lower slopes of the Great Orme we had to revert to a Plan B so I drove up to and parked in St Beuno's Road and we started the walk from there.
We walked further up St Beuno's Road until we came to  the public footpathe that takes you on to the Maes Y Fachrell Nature Reserve.    The views from up there are breathtaking but the light was poor with dark clouds hanging overhead and it was cold too.  So we heades over the reserve and you could see the mine shafts everywhere and could imagine how industrialised that area of the Orme was in the early 19th century.   It also made us think of the effort the old miners had to do when they constructed the Penmorfa Adit on the West Shore that came as far as these Copper Mines in order to drain the water from them.
We carried on past Pyllau farm and crossed over the road and the tram lines to get to the area known as Bryniau Poethion by the pylons from the overhead cable cars.    It's littered with sunken mine shafts so no wonder it's sometimes called the Klondyke.   From there we headed for the Pink Farm and then to the Ski Slope where we had our refreshments.  By that time it was warm and sunny and we sat there watching the many visitors there enjoying themselves.
Moving on again we went up to Pen Dinas, the Iron Age hill fort and to the Rocking Stone.   It doesn't rock anymore but I'm old enough to remember the times when it did rock.    The wind was so powerful that our caps blew off but we retrieved them before they flew over the cliff edge.   It was too cold to hang about so we headed down Wyddfyd Road to the traffic lights and turned right up Ty Gwyn Road.    After a few stops we climbed up the steps to get to St Beono's Road and back to the car.   It was just a short walk but nice to get out again and Llandudno is blessed with good views in all directions.   We finished the day by driving around the Marine Drive and stopping at the cafe for a nice hot latte,  getting out of the car was an ordeal as there must have been gale force winds and we were glad to get into the shelter of the cafe.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2539 on: April 14, 2024, 02:55:46 pm »
Great Orme walk 13th April 2024