Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821083 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #2325 on: April 24, 2022, 01:52:53 pm »
Very sensible advice in this article ...........

The people you need to know about when venturing into Snowdonia's mountains
Too many people find themselves in trouble on Wales' mountains - to the dismay of local experts who want people to stay safe and have a good time

Crib Coch, the razor-edged route to Snowdon’s summit, has a reputation that, for many walkers, doesn’t precede it. Too often, mountain leaders like Rebekah Uden find climbers clinging on desperately, frozen in fear and wondering what on earth possessed them to tackle this most fearsome of crossings.

They are the lucky ones. Others have fallen to their deaths trying to complete a route that has been trumpeted on social media as Snowdon’s ultimate challenge and photo opportunity.

Rebekah, 33, won’t take anyone to Crib Goch unless they have prior scrambling experience. Over Easter a mum expressed pride in her sons, aged seven and nine, who crossed the ridge on a day that was “very windy, slippery and dangerous”. Mountain leaders shuddered at the thought.

“Almost every time I take a party up there, I see someone stuck on the ridge and calling for mountain rescue to come and save them,” said Rebekah, who runs trips across the UK via her business, Wilderness Wales.

“I certainly wouldn’t allow climbers to take their dogs with them: there have been instances of dogs pulling their owners from the ridge. It is too easy for people to be lulled into thinking it’s a challenge worth taking without understanding their limitations.”

Mountain leaders and guides are not just experienced climbers who are passionate about crags, peaks and lakes: they are the eyes and ears of upland visitor economies. As well as ensuring you get home safely, they pick litter, hand out advice, give directions and act as unofficial guardians of hill environments. They are the people who reduce the loads on volunteer mountain rescue teams.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-you-need-know-venturing-23759935

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2326 on: May 01, 2022, 09:34:50 am »
Beautiful Anglesey walk takes in stunning views, an abandoned factory and a remarkable church
Visit a disused look-out post, an historic and unusual church and a disused porcelain works                    ref DP

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/beautiful-anglesey-walk-takes-stunning-23800724

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2327 on: May 01, 2022, 03:21:46 pm »
Another walk in the area is from Bull Bay following the coastline to Cemaes Bay.   It's strenuous but well worth the effort and you see the brickworks of Porth Wen before picking up the path at Llanlleiana and continuing along to Cemaes Bay   

https://www.anglesey-hidden-gem.com/porth-wen-brick-works.html

Offline SteveH

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2329 on: May 10, 2022, 09:45:25 am »
Woman seen walking down Snowdon in pair of 'comfortable' flip flops
Mountain rescue teams have asked people climbing Yr Wyddfa to wear appropriate gear

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/woman-seen-walking-down-snowdon-23906779?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2330 on: May 13, 2022, 05:03:13 pm »
I was watching a tv programme on BBC I Player called Hidden Wales “Last chance to save”  and I was very impressed by one of the ruins featured in it.
It was Foxhall Newydd and it is an Elizabethan Mansion that was built in 1592     I had never heard of the place before but wanted to see it asap
So Tellytubby and I drove to Henllan to start the search for this impressive ruin.   We parked the car by the Church and went into the Church grounds and we were invited inside the building by a lovely lady who was looking after the Church    The inside of the Church and its unusual ceiling were really special and a credit to everyone who looked after the building.  We left the Church and went down to look at the Llindir Inn a picturesque pub with a thatched roof.     I've many fond memories of the place in the 1970's  Chicken or Scampi and chips in the basket as well as quite a few pints of good ale too.  The good old days!
From the Llindir we walked up Denbigh Street for a short distance before turning up Ochr Y Bryn and taking the first footpath on the left.   This public footpath is along open countyside on the left while there is a wooded area on the right which is on private property and is fenced off.
We followed the path and after a short while we had glimpses of the ruin through the woodland.   We continued on the path but realised after a while that we couldn't get access to go nearer to the ruined building, it was then our luck changed for the better because we met the farmer who owned the land.
He was a really nice guy and we had a pleasant chat with him before I asked him if there was a way to get closer to the building and he gave us permission and told us how to get there.   His only request was for use to ensure that we close any gates after us and of course we agreed.
Getting so near the building was absolutely great,  the ruins are stunning and so is its location with panoramic views all around, I even went inside the building which is now overgrown with trees and other vegetation
We took many photos and then retraced our footsteps back to the car and we then drove to another location to have some refreshments. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2331 on: May 13, 2022, 05:08:59 pm »
Henllan to Foxhall Newydd walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2332 on: May 13, 2022, 07:28:32 pm »
On our way back from Henllan to St Asaph we stopped to have our refreshments at Bont Newydd near St Asaph.     The arched bridge is quite high over the River Elwy and looks very impressive, especially from the river bank. At one end of the bridge is a bench near an old telephone kiosk and we sat there in the warm sunshine and had something to eat and drink
Bont Newydd was a favourite place of mine in the 1980's and I'd drive over the bridge to the nearby Dolben Arms where we used to enjoy some delicious food there as well as a few beers.   Sadly the pub has closed and is now a private residence called appropriately Hen Dafarn.
Just before crossing over the bridge is a delightful looking property that has balconies that overlook the River Elwy and every time we went past it we always thought that one day we would like to live there as it was so special
We had time on our hands so we decided to have a walk along the banks of the River Elwy as it flowed downstream.  The wild Garlic was out in masses and the smell from the flowers was quite strong indeed.   We didn't see any Deer that live in the woods but Tellytubby could see the Deer tracks in the mud where the Deer had gone down the river bank for a drink.    It was a short but very enjoyable walk and the rain held off until we got into our cars in St Asaph so we were lucky with the weather too

Offline mull

« Reply #2333 on: May 14, 2022, 10:20:12 am »
Hi Hugo, Have you now got a drone to get those overhead photos ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2334 on: May 14, 2022, 12:07:49 pm »
Hi Mull, hope that you are all keeping well up there on the island.      I must admit that I've cheated and copied those two aerial photos as I thought that they would bring the building into perspective.   
I can only imagine how grand the building was at the time it was built.      I have a friend who lived in Henllan for years and she never knew about the place so she was pleased to see the photos of the ruin.
I'm afraid that drones and IT are too complicated for me        :-[

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2335 on: May 21, 2022, 09:25:25 am »
On Wednesday I met Tellytubby in Dyserth to do a walk in the local area.  We have done many walks in the area but  never tire of walking there as each walk is different.
This time we walked across the nature reserve and then across a meadow full of buttercups before dropping down to the Afon Ffyddion .   This section by the quarry is one of my favourite places to be as there are so many interesting things to see.   One being the Tombstone like boundary marking with the family name of Windsor being engraved on the stone.  The family owned a lot of land in the area in days gone by.      Just above the bridge is the path going down to the waterfall and as I hadn't seen the falls for a while we went down to have a look at them.     I'd forgotten how many steep steps there were but the effort was worth it.    The waterfall has a vertical drop of over 70 feet and if any one wants to see the falls then they are less than 100 yards from the main road which is a bonus
After taking photos of the falls we walked back up those steep steps stopping frequently to  have a breather.   The purple Orchids I wanted to see were unfortanately way past their best so we carried on until we came to the Clive Engine House.  This large building previously housed a Cornish pumping engine for the nearby Talargoch lead mines.     One thing about walking in this area with Tellytubby is that he knows everything about the place, like paths and the history of the area.   He showed me a pit near the Clive Engine house and chucked some stones down it which took a few seconds to reach the bottom of the pit.    Now stones were not the only thing chucked down the pit as many years ago a body was found at the bottom,  A victim of some murder in the locality.
Quickly moving on from there we got back on to the disused railway track and came to an old railway building that has now been converted to a very nice cafe so it was a good excuse for a rest and a nice hot latte.    I was glad of the rest because Tellytubby then took me up a very steep climb through a woodland area and it wasn't easy as many trees had been uprooted and we either had to climb over them or go under them.   Eventually we arrived at a tarmac road and followed it uphill before arriving at a public footpath on our left.  The narrow track took us diagonally uphill and we were rewarded with stunning coastal views.    It wasn't long before we  reached our destination which was Pant Y Fachwen, the ruins of a lead miner's cottage.  Sadly the lead miner had a fatal accident in the Talargoch mines and left a wife and a number of children.  After all our effort of getting there we stopped for a while and had our refreshments.  We were already aware of a mysterious plaque being put on a bench at the ruins but we were surprised that it was still there
The inscription scrawled on the plaque reads: "Justice awaits those responsible for the removal and disposal of Trevaline Evans (in this life or next) from Rhuddlan Golf Club on March 19, 2019 at noon.
“May the Lord have mercy upon their soul."
A reconstruction of the disappearance of Trevaline Evans has been filmed this year and will be on TV in due course so it'll be interesting to see it   After taking some photos we headed down hill past the Fish Mine until we came to the disused railway track and then it was back to Dyserth and uphill all the way to the car park.   At the end of the walk we were both tired but it's just nice to get out and about with friends.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2336 on: May 21, 2022, 09:29:21 am »
Dyserth to Prestatyn hillside walk

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2337 on: June 12, 2022, 09:31:16 am »
The best walks across Snowdonia that don't take you to the top of a hill
It isn't always necessary to reach the summit of Yr Wyddfa or any of the other 3,000 foot peaks in the Snowdonia National Park

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/best-walks-across-snowdonia-dont-23547560

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2338 on: June 13, 2022, 09:37:17 am »
PHOTO GALLERY
Yr Wyddfa caught on camera
Just some of the many, many pictures of Yr Wyddfa in the North Wales Live archive

full gallery  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/yr-wyddfa-caught-on-camera-23682944?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Can someone please click on the photo below and tell me if it enlarges.....Ta

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2339 on: June 13, 2022, 10:07:23 am »
It does.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.