Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821265 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2295 on: January 31, 2022, 11:10:59 am »
Around the same time each year we like to do a walk in Llanystumdwy and follow the Afon Dwyfor upstream to have a look at the masses of Snowdrops that grow along the banks of this fast flowing river.      We haven't been able to do this walk for the last 3 years so we carefully checked the weather forecast and as it said Friday the 28th January 2022 was dry with good visibility and light winds we headed to Llanystumdwy on that day.
We started the walk from the David Lloyd George Memorial and dropped down to the river bank and commenced the walk.   It must have been just 400 yards into the walk when we felt the first drop of rain and then the rain just got heavier and heavier.    Poor Old Uncle Albert hadn't even brought his wet weather gear with him but it didn't dampen our spirits as it was just nice to get together again with all the jokes and banter that go with the good company.
By the time we got to the wooden bridge that crosses the river we realised that we were about two weeks too early to see the Snowdrops at their best but noticed that the Bluebells were starting to grow so we may come back later in the year
We crossed over the wooden bridge and had our refreshments on the other bank of the river and eagerly tucked into the delicious scones that Uncle Albert's better half had baked.    That old bridge is very rickety and shook like mad when the three of us were on it but at least it held our weight and allowed us to cross back over the river.
Another thing that we noticed since our last visit were the number of large trees that had fallen into the river,    The rain had stopped and we continued on the path until we came to the stone arch that leads you on to an unadopted road.     The walk took us about 2 hours and then a further hour down the long lane that took us back to the cars
All 3 of us have been unlucky and have had serious medical conditions in the last two years but we are on the mend.   Tellytubby had a stroke in November but he has such a positive attitude and is doing very well now.   In fact he lead the walk from start to finish like he normally does so that was great to see.    Walking with friends in a beautiful area makes you realise just how lucky we are and we hope that this is the start of many more walks this year.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2296 on: January 31, 2022, 11:32:49 am »
Llanystumdwy riverside walk

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2297 on: January 31, 2022, 01:42:40 pm »
Good to hear you are all doing well, and enjoying your walks, keep the travelogues coming.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2298 on: January 31, 2022, 04:41:30 pm »
Thanks Steve, by coincidence Uncle Albert and I were both having treatment in Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Jan/ Feb 2020 and that's why we missed the walk then and of course it was lockdown in 2021.
Uncle Albert had radiotherapy and had a remarkable recovery and I was lucky that I didn't need chemo or radiotherapy after minor surgery,     Tellytubby is the fittest of us all by a mile and is getting there so we all think that we are the lucky ones

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2299 on: February 19, 2022, 05:19:56 pm »
What comments I would like to say about this couple from Norfolk are unprintable!       The only thing I will say is thank goodness there were no fatalities in this incident

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't walked up Snowdon before,  the couple set off from Pen Y Pass at 2.30 pm and as everyone knows it goes dark about 5.30 pm so it gave them a three hour window of opportunity to get up and down Snowdon in the daylight.
In the Summer in good conditions you can expect to take 5 to 6 hours to get up and down the mountain but in Winter it starts to freeze about 2,00 pm or even earlier

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/mans-proposal-snowdon-goes-horribly-23126967

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2300 on: February 19, 2022, 06:13:31 pm »
Same here Hugo. I suppose we must be thankful that they didn't involve the Mountain rescue.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2301 on: February 20, 2022, 10:18:50 am »
Yes Nemesis, the Mountain Rescue could easily have been called out in those atrocious conditions.          The couple were very, very lucky to get through that ordeal and if I was them the first thing I would do is to buy a lottery ticket while their luck is still in.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2302 on: February 21, 2022, 08:43:19 am »
Rescued Snowdonia climbers 'inexperienced', rescuers say.     

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60452163

Offline BrianP

« Reply #2303 on: February 21, 2022, 11:21:03 pm »
I have read a report, which could be the same couple. The male planned to propose to his girlfriend on the summit, but the weather and lack of daylight, caused him to get lost. He has a reward to the person who finds his missing rucksack, and the ring inside it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2304 on: February 22, 2022, 09:03:07 am »
That's the same story Brian.  The couple from Norfolk drove for 5 hours to get to Snowdon and set off up the Pyg Track at 2.30 pm      &shake&
They were very lucky that it was only the rucksack that they lost

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2305 on: February 24, 2022, 09:18:47 am »
Event organisers will have to register their activities on Wales' highest peak and in surrounding villages this year.

Gwynedd Council and the Snowdonia National Park have jointly launched a registration system for events planned in Llanberis or on Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon).

The new requirements apply to small scale events, where less than 50 participants are expected, and larger events such as the Snowdon mountain race and the Snowdonia marathon.

Cllr Gareth Thomas, Gwynedd council's cabinet member for the economy and community, said the new scheme was in response to increased numbers of visitors and to have better management of the events that wish to take place in Llanberis and on Yr Wyddfa.

He said a year of trialling and delivering improvements had been carried out and the system is ready to be used in 2022.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/registration-system-launched-snowdonia-events-23190081

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2306 on: February 25, 2022, 09:37:06 am »
On Wednesday Tellytubby and I had a trip around Ruthin and district and on our way around we stopped at Bod Petryal in the Clocaenog Forest to see the Crossbills that feed there.    We arrived  by the lake and there were a number of photographers there equipped with cameras like mini bazookas taking photos of the birds.   The  birds moved away and then the photographers left.     
The birds feed at the top of the very high conifer trees and you can hardly see them let alone take a photo of them with our cameras but you can certainly hear them with their high pitched call.
As we were there we decided to have a short circular walk around the lake and surrounding forest.   The three storms that we have had last week have had a bad impact on the forest with dozens of fallen trees all around.   Apparently the Rangers working there have been very busy just clearing the paths.
I've attached a photo that someone has taken just so I could see what a Crossbill looked like

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2307 on: March 03, 2022, 09:48:38 am »
Tuesday was a lovely sunny day so Tellytubby and I had a nice circular walk from Eirias Park to Llanelian Yn Rhos.     The footpath we took leads on to a nice housing estate with a stream running through the middle of the estate.   Looking at the estate  now you would never realise that this was once the official refuse tip of Colwyn Bay.
We stopped at a garden alongside the stream and went inside so I could show Tellytubby the work that had gone into the landscaping there.     The house owner lives across the road and he has created this garden and allows people to visit it and enjoy the surroundings.
After a quick look around we headed uphill past Glyn Farm and up the steep field to Cilgwyn Farm.   The steepness of the field soon gives you stunning views of the Nant Y Glyn Valley and beyond.    The only downside since my last visit here is that Anwyl Construction is building dozens of large  non affordable houses on the farmland around Glyn Farm.
After reaching Cilgwyn Mawr we walked on the tarmac lane until we came to a footpath just past Bwthyn Y Coed and turned down there. 
We hadn't walked on that footpath before, but we are so glad that we did as we followed the stream as it flowed through a steep wooded glen for about 400 yards.    We passed a small waterfall before coming to a large old Oak tree where we sat in the Sun and had our refreshments.
After a short while we moved on and crossed a wooden bridge over Nant Meifod and then went past  the old farmhouse of Meifod before reaching Groes Road where we turned right and walked uphill passing New York Cottage.
We then took a footpath on our left as we were following a route from a book but it turned out to be a big mistake and one we won't make in the future.    The ground was mucky and boggy and was heavy going and even the horses that were following us around the field were just plodding  along.   After reaching the main road we headed uphill and had a look at the Church and around the village before heading down Groes Road to our cars.   We only stopped at St Elian's well on the way down, what's unusual about the well is that it's a cursing well so we both made one curse each and then continued on our way.
It's a nice hilly walk with stunning views and well worth the effort of doing it even though we were both a bit tired and very mucky after finishing the walk

Photos to follow

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2308 on: March 03, 2022, 03:04:50 pm »
Eirias Park to Llanelian Yn Rhos circular walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2309 on: March 03, 2022, 03:10:00 pm »
Eirias Park to Llanelian Yn Rhos circular walk