Author Topic: Walking  (Read 842418 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2520 on: February 08, 2024, 01:39:45 pm »
Yesterday Tellytubby, old Uncle Albert and I met up in Betws Y Coed to have lunch at the Royal Oak with a short walk before the meal.   It's something we normally do before Christmas but it had to be delayed for one reason or another.
The weather there was perfect but the day before the rain had been torrential so in effect it restricted our choice of walks.
What we did instead was to have a look around the beautiful St Mary's Church first of all and then  walk along the A5 as far as the Miners Bridge.     We stopped en route at Pont Y Pair to take some photos and watch the torrent of water flowing impressively over the rocks.
It was the firsr time we had been over the new Miners Bridge since the old one had been washed away in a storm.     The river was in full flood so we couldn't walk back along the river bank and instead  took a detour and walked up to the tarmac lane and followed it back to Pont Y Pair and then to the Royal Oak where we enjoyed a nice lunch and a drink together.    We had a good chat and loads of banter as we normally do and the walks we do are good for our physical health as well as our mental health.    There were just the three of us having the meal and it made us realise how important it is to continue doing the walks so we planned some walks for this year, some were old favourites and some new ones too.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2521 on: February 08, 2024, 01:43:19 pm »
Betws Y Coed walk

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking...........Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue
« Reply #2522 on: February 20, 2024, 09:39:30 am »
Teenager seriously injured in fall on mountain
The boy's 'panic-stricken' mother raised the alarm and her son was airlifted to hospital

A 14-year-old boy was seriously hurt after falling on a Welsh mountain. His "panic-stricken" mother raised the alarm and her son was airlifted to hospital.

The accident happened on the 3,000ft Tryfan in Eryri. The Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Team (OVMRT) went out to help at 6pm on Sunday. The rescue took six hours in the dark. The boy, who was conscious, was flown by helicopter to Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Merseyside.

Chris Lloyd from OVMRT said his team got a call at 6pm from someone who had come across the boy's mother on the A5 road. She said they had been on a walk when he fell 20 or 30 metres down a slope. She couldn't call for help because she didn't have signal so she made the hard choice to leave her son to get help.

cont https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/teenager-seriously-injured-fall-mountain-28661460?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2523 on: February 20, 2024, 05:45:23 pm »
I hope that the teenager makes a full recovery after that horrific fall.     You have to be careful when walking or climbing up Tryfan any time and other people have not been so lucky when they have had an accident.
In Winter time I always made sure that I was coming down from there at 2.00pm as it always seemed to start freezing then.  It's another example of the incredible work done by these Mountain Rescue Teams who put their own lives at risk every time they are called out to help others

On the topic of the OVMRT   I have heard no more about David Brookfield who went missing on the 9th January 2024 but realise that sadly it will only be a recovery operation.    I think that he was last seen near Carnedd Dafydd and that day was horrendous with gale force winds blowing in from the South.   There is a north facing cliff near there called Ysgolion Duon which we always gave it a wide berth especially in Winter time

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2524 on: February 20, 2024, 07:01:33 pm »
Tryfan is nasty; lots of loose rocks and most large rocks embedded facing upwards, so a single misstep means hospital.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2525 on: February 20, 2024, 10:40:01 pm »
I'd never go up Tryfan when it was either windy or wet as the rocks always seemed slippy to me.  I remember one time when I went up there and then came down without any incident happening, that was until I was about 50 yards from the A5 and slipped on a stone in the grass and over I went, luckily the rucksack took the brunt of the fall

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2526 on: February 22, 2024, 10:16:07 am »
A family?s afternoon walk in woods ground to a sudden halt when their dog picked up an injury. Until then, Shylo the Samoyed was enjoying a run-out in the RSPB?s Coed Garth Gell nature reserve near Penmaenpool, Gwynedd.

Unable to carry the dog home, the family called for help. As darkness fell, members of the South Snowdonia Search and Rescue (SSSR) team arrived at the reserve in the Mawddach Valley, an internationally important area for rare mosses.

After locating the stranded party, at around 5.45pm on Monday, February 19, Shylo was fussed over while the team prepared a stretcher. A vet was alerted and placed on standby.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/injured-dog-gets-vip-treatment-28674229

Offline SteveH

Re: Walking.....Conwy and Gwynedd trails among UK's best family friendly walks
« Reply #2527 on: February 24, 2024, 09:55:19 am »
Conwy and Gwynedd trails among UK's best family friendly walks

Three walking/hiking trails in North Wales have been named among the best family-friendly walks in the UK.

AllTrails - one of the most trusted and used outdoor platforms/apps in the world and recently named Apple's iPhone App of the Year - has released its ?Year on the Trails? report.

The report gave a comprehensive overview of the app?s highest-rated trails of 2023.

It showed the "best of" the more than 420,000 curated trails AllTrails has compiled worldwide based on input from the app?s community of more than 60 million walkers, hikers and nature enthusiasts.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24140475.conwy-gwynedd-trails-among-uks-best-family-friendly-walks/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2528 on: March 09, 2024, 11:35:55 am »
Yesterday, I drove to Prestatyn and met my walking mate Tellytubby and he drove us to the Big Pool just outside of Gronant.      Big Pool Wood is part of the Dee Estuary Special Protection area and is run by a group of volunteers and is funded by donations to the site from people visiting the reserve.
Tellytubby is a volunteer there and his job yesterday was filling up the many bird feeders in the reserve so I was treated to a conducted tour of the area.  The volunteers have worked hard there and the hard work has paid off because the reserve has attracted many varieties of birds and animals to it.   I must pay a special mention to a volunteer called Roger who sadly died last year and he donated and built some of the hides.   I sat in one hide one and was facinated by a Woodpecker that was feeding on the peanuts and I could have stayed there all day looking at the beautiful bird but we had to move on and start our walk.
The walk started a bit further up the road and the path goes past the riding school and then crosses over the railway line until it reaches the Caravan Park.  There you follow the public footpath sign straight on and walk over the boardwalk across the sand dunes.  Just before you get to the beach there is a conservation area for Natterjack Toads on your left.    A short distance further on is the beach with its miles and miles of soft sand and there were only three other people on the beach with us.
We had lunch in a sheltered spot in the sand dunes and spent our time admiring the scenery before it was time to move on and retrace our steps back to the car.   It was nice to have the short walk but more importantly meeting up again with an old mate.

https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/nature-reserves/big-pool-wood-nature-reserve

The walk itself
https://issuu.com/northwalesmagazine/docs/nwm_sept_2022/s/16698257

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2529 on: March 09, 2024, 11:41:44 am »
Big Pool Wood walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2530 on: March 09, 2024, 11:46:46 am »
Big Pool Wood walk

Offline SteveH

Re: Walking........'Tread lightly' to protect Eryri
« Reply #2531 on: March 25, 2024, 10:07:50 am »
'Tread lightly' to protect Eryri's greatest attraction visitors urged
A multi-agency day involving police, councils and others will look at how best to safeguard the national park

Visitors to Eryri are to be urged to "tread lightly" to safeguard the national park. Walkers, climbers and daytrippers will be advised to use public transport and avoid littering.

The measures will be aired in a multi-agency day involving North Wales Police, Cyngor Gwynedd and others to work out how best to safeguard a popular but vulnerable region which has seen a surge in illegal parking and anti-social behaviour. Some tourists have also been disrespectful to archaeology.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tread-lightly-protect-eryris-greatest-28878147

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2532 on: March 27, 2024, 10:09:54 am »
VISITORS to North Wales can play their part to help protect nature and the environment during the Easter break.

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) is gearing up to welcome a high number of visitors to its woodlands and National Nature Reserves over the Bank Holiday weekend and school break and people are being reminded to follow the Countryside Code and any site-specific guidance.

As more people have become aware of the health and well-being benefits of time spent in nature over the last few years, there has been an increase in visitors.

cont https://www.denbighshirefreepress.co.uk/news/24211677.visit-great-north-wales-outdoors-responsibly-easter-2024/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: Walking...'Pilgrimage: The Road Through North Wales'
« Reply #2533 on: March 30, 2024, 09:58:10 am »
Sorry a bit late with this........................ have to play catchup :-[

AN EAGERLY-anticipated BBC show which shines a light on North Wales' Pilgrim's Way is set to hit tv screens (March 29).

Pilgrimage is back with a brand-new series returning to BBC Two and iPlayer as seven well known personalities, of differing faiths and beliefs, tackle a modern-day pilgrimage.

Across 3 x 60 minute episodes, Pilgrimage: The Road Through North Wales will follow the celebrities, as they take a personal journey along a route that celebrates Celtic early Christian saints.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24220205.pilgrimage-road-north-wales-starts-tonight/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2534 on: March 30, 2024, 04:26:10 pm »
I watched the programme last night and really enjoyed it, especially the scenery as I've been to those places before.   It makes you realise how lucky we are to be living in such a beautiful area.
I reckon that someone must have been praying for good weather because the conditions were perfect.     Unlike today when we have had a torrential downpour,  well it is a Bank Holiday after all       :(