The Local > Genealogy & Research

Thomas and Emma WILLIAMS possibly of Caerhun

(1/13) > >>

jom:
I have been looking for this couple off and on for a while now and since a previous comment quite some time ago in "Great Orme Cemetery", I think, I have a little more information, which may help in my search.

Thomas WILLIAMS was born probably Caernarvonshire, may be Caerhun/Rowen.  He was a shoemaker.

His wife Emma was born about 1772/75 in Caerhun as stated by census returns in 1841 and 1851.  Thomas and Emma would have married some time around 1814 or earlier having their first known child baptised in 1814 at St. Mary's in Caerhun, (I have the baptism record).  This was their daughter Mary.  They are noted as living in Ro-Wen with Thomas noted as being a shoemaker.  Their son John was similarly baptised in 1817 (I have his record too).

Son John was usually noted as being from Rowen or Caerhun on his subsequent census returns.

In 1841, Emma is found at Chapel Street, Tre Y Dre, Llanrwst, Denbighshire with Mary and John but no sign of Thomas, her husband.  By 1851 Emma is in Scotland Street, Llanrwst, Denbighshire with her daughter Mary and presumably Mary's illegitimate daughter, Mary PRITCHARD.  Emma is noted as a widow.  She died at the same address in 1860 at the stated age of 88, noted as widow of Thomas WILLIAMS, shoemaker, with son John in attendance.  She had at one time been a spinning woman.

Mary their daughter,never married as far as I can tell, dying about 1887 I believe in Llanrwst.  Mary's daughter Mary Pritchard may have married John LLOYD about 1875 in Llanrwst

John, Emma and Thomas' son married before 1865, to whom I know not and then married Martha ELLIOTT of Daventry in 1865.  He was a gardener and became the publican of the Telegraph Inn on the Orme as mentioned in other forum messages.  I still am not sure of John's whereabouts in 1851 or the identity of his first wife.

ANY snippets of information gleaned would be MOST welcome as this has been a huge brick wall for me.  I have found virtually nothing about Thomas and only what I have mentioned on Emma.  Hugo has very kindly checked Caerhun marriages for Thomas and Emma previously but was unable to find anything that fitted.  Since then, though I have more of an idea of age of Emma at least.  Keeping my fingers crossed 

Meleri:
I have found an Emma Evans in the Caernarvonshire Baptism Transcriptions for Caerhun it reads:- Emma the daughter of Edward Evans shoemaker by his wife Mary was baptised 29th March 1775.

I'm not sure if this is your Thomas & Emma  but there is a marriage in Llanddoget on the 27th October 1812 between Thomas Williams and Emma Evans, it states the Bride's parish is Llanddoget and the grooms Llanrwst.

I really hope they are the right ones, after your long search for them. I have hit a brick wall on my tree and have been trying to solve it for 5 years, so I know how frustrating it can be.

jom:
Thank you very much for that. What is the proximity of Caerhun and Llanddoget. Would it be reasonable for Emma from Llanddoget to note herself being from Caerhun on the census returns.  Was there an occupation noted for Thomas on the marriage entry. Will try to follow up tomorrow.  Getting excited D)

Meleri:
LLanddoget is about one and a half miles from Llanrwst and is on the opposite side of the river Conwy to Caerhun.

Emma appears to have been born and baptised in Caerhun as mentioned on the Census.

When she married in 1812 she must have been living in Llanddoget possibly in service, bearing in mind she would have been around 37 years old or the family could have moved there.

Thomas's occupation wasn't mentioned on the marriage banns but it did mention the witnesses as Robert and Margaret Jones, but I can't see how that would help your search.

Sorry I can't help you further but perhaps it will give you something to work on.

Hugo:
In the old Census records they often listed the parish as the place where they were born.   Caerhun parish included the villages of Rowen ,  Tal Y Cafn, Tyn Y Groes and I think Llanbedr Y Cennin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version