Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 208752 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:43 am »
Yes the old shop. Looks like it was empty at the time of the collision. No-one seems to be trapped in the car The Fire Brigade are here on site and the front of the house looks (in this light) to be somewhat less than vertical. They have only just had the work completed from  last years incident when a car did something similar but went straight through the front door. Might be time to install some fencing or a ram raid type of Bollard.

Know the owner of the house in question. Hope he is OK.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2010, 09:36:08 am »
Its been snowing like mad up here on the Gt Orme all night.
Just as the road was becoming useable again, we are back to square one. ))*

Our travel plans to visit family in Yorkshire for Xmas just took a negative turn.
I have an upset wife as she had all the pressies wrapped, food bought and cards written.

Ah well, such is life.   :( :( :(

Same here but the other way round. No family, no paying guests, It's only common sense with the state of the roads. Saw a car do an impression of 'Dancing on Ice' down Arvon Ave this morning .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:25 am »
Yes the old shop. Looks like it was empty at the time of the collision. No-one seems to be trapped in the car The Fire Brigade are here on site and the front of the house looks (in this light) to be somewhat less than vertical. They have only just had the work completed from  last years incident when a car did something similar but went straight through the front door. Might be time to install some fencing or a ram raid type of Bollard.
I'd be very nervous if If I lived in that house. They definitely need a proper crash barrier in front of it. Any photos?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2010, 09:57:52 am »
Had a terrible job even fetching a paper, Can't manage to walk up there Sorry ! Imagine some of the locals will send pics-- hope so.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:32 am »
Update from Arriva - No buses running in Llandudno or Colwyn Bay area.

This page is updated by Arriva on a regular basis:
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/holdingpage/ServiceUpdate.pdf

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2010, 10:09:29 am »
Our paperboy came on time again today.

I don't normally bother with Tudno FM but because trying to get any local news on the TV is a waste of time I switched on Tudno FM at 9am and again at 10am this morning to listen to their local and national news.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any.

What a shame.

In my opinion, today was an excellent opportunity for Tudno FM to rise to the occasion to serve our community.

Anyway, many congratulations to this Forum for providing a local service when it is needed most.

Keep up the good work.  $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2010, 10:15:24 am »
You know, Bri, that's astonishing, because I was literally about to type exactly the same comment myself. I have Tudno FM on here and it is just back to back Christmas music since I switched it on. I had been hoping for information on the situation locally - what roads are open/closed, what buses/trains are running, those sort of things. Instead...nothing. What a waste of time.  ))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:42 am »
Arriva Trains Wales are currently showing delays of 60 minutes on all North Wales Coast services.

ATW service information here:
http://ht.ly/3t21p

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:31 am »
Instead...nothing. What a waste of time.

Perhaps we should make an approach to the TFM management team and suggest some sort or permanent liaison between TFM and 3Towns?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2010, 10:32:17 am »
I'm working away from North Wales this week and today is my last day. I now have the choice of driving back to Conwy tonight or tomorrow morning.

Looking at the Jam Cams it doesn't look very promising to travel tonight. But will tomorrow be any better?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/northwestwales/#jamcams

Offline Hugo

« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2010, 11:17:53 am »
It's bad up here on Colwyn Heights, when I went to the shops they only managed to get the papers from the Bay because someone had a 4 X 4 and went down for them. No other deliveries made to the shop and the car park at the Pen Y Bryn Pub is snowed up.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:16 am »
I'm working away from North Wales this week and today is my last day. I now have the choice of driving back to Conwy tonight or tomorrow morning.

Looking at the Jam Cams it doesn't look very promising to travel tonight. But will tomorrow be any better?
The A55 is fine but the problem occurs when you leave it! I suspect things might improve a touch tomorrow.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2010, 11:59:46 am »
Photo below courtesy of Ali via Nemesis:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2010, 12:04:41 pm »
Some pics from up on the Orme, again courtesy of Ali via Nemesis:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »
Those pictures show just how bad it is for everyone in the area, I wonder what time they were taken.   It's surprising how clear everything  is at night when there's snow on the ground