Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 208982 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2021, 12:26:34 am »
It’s pretty hellish up on The Orme tonight, I can tell you that!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #646 on: November 27, 2021, 09:31:38 am »
I'm glad I'm not the paper boy up there anymore Fester 💨💨 wouldn't fancy getting to Anglesey rd 😂😂

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #647 on: November 27, 2021, 10:04:47 am »
There's a lot of damage to trees and buildings last night and two large trees were uprooted and landed on a bungalow near my house.    My neighbour's car was just four feet away from the trees when they crashed into the garden

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #648 on: November 27, 2021, 10:08:29 am »
Bit hectic down at ground level, but I do sympathise with those higher up.... just a bit of a warning....we did have a problem, when the lights started flickering, we got our emergency torch/battery box out, which had not seen the light of day ! for some time, to find that batteries had been nicked for other things and not replaced, we were lucky the power stayed on, as we only managed to get a couple of small torches going with used batteries, guess what we are getting today.

Offline Helig

« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2021, 10:23:07 am »
It was a violent night up here last night. There is much damage, trees down, slates off and debris all over the place. The trains aren't running this morning as there is an obstruction on the line. Where I am is OK but people on higher ground had power cuts last night and are still off today. I have no phone signal and wonder if the mast has blown down. It was supposed to hit the east coast but it started up late yesterday morning and got progressively worse as the day went on. There is snow on the hills too.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #650 on: November 28, 2021, 09:59:28 am »
Storm Arwen LIVE as large parts of North Wales still without power and roads blocked

some news on local damage.............. https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/storm-arwen-live-weather-updates-22290905?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

tree just missing Happy valley cafe  and Colwyn prom

Offline mull

« Reply #651 on: November 28, 2021, 12:10:05 pm »
Hi Hugo, Friday night was rough up here as well, house was shaking and lights dipped a few times but the power stayed on. Well done the Hydro Electric boys.
We had 5 old fir trees on the western side of our garden and had them cut down last winter. Glad we did, I do not think they would have survived Friday night. Now got enough logs for several years.
Had to spend Saturday screwing down the metal roof on the side garage, it had started to peel back. I wonder how it had hung on and not headed off towards the south. I think the roof is on its last ,now starting to look like lace curtains. I am still warming up after spending the day out in that north wind.
Give my best wishes to Tellytubby, hope he is soon on the mend.
Sunday morning and it is bright sunshine up here , and calm. All ferries running again.

Offline Hammy

« Reply #652 on: November 28, 2021, 04:19:32 pm »
Lost power up here in parts of Bryn Pydew on Friday night at 11.30 pm and it was returned at 8.30 this morning, not fallen cables but tripped fuses in the pole mounted transformers! Biggest problem was actually trying to report the problems to SP Networks as they only seemed to be able to recognise the isuues  when the major outages were resolved. All good now though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #653 on: November 28, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »
Hi Mull,  it was the worst storm we have encountered in the 35 years we have been living up here and that's saying something.    When I used to walk my previous dog I met a guy who lived up here and hated the winds we have.  So much so that he sold his house and moved to Shropshire where it was not so exposed.     It turned out lucky for me as I needed a car and bought his old one, a Mitsubishi Col 6 yrars old and 15K on the clock!

I'll pass on your good wishes to Tellytubby who is still in hospital but he has had a comfortable day today but he's not out of the woods yet

Offline Hugo

« Reply #654 on: November 28, 2021, 05:15:33 pm »
Snow LIVE - Weather updates as drifts fall on M56 and parts of North Wales
Sections of Wrexham, New Broughton and Cheshire are all reporting light snowfall at this stage.  I believe that it is also snowing in Liverpool

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snow-live-weather-updates-drifts-22075105

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #655 on: November 29, 2021, 03:10:21 pm »
You were quite right Hugo we had snow here in StHelens just a dusting that has stuck and is still around today

Offline Hugo

« Reply #656 on: November 29, 2021, 05:06:59 pm »
Hope that it didn't cause you any problems Snowcap.          I'm pleased that it wasn't snowing on Saturday at Anfield though     $hands$

Offline DVT

« Reply #657 on: November 29, 2021, 10:47:31 pm »
Yes, it did snow Sunday afternoon in Liverpool  but didn't stick as too wet.  Grandson disappointed as he wanted me to help him build a snowman!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #658 on: November 30, 2021, 11:59:46 am »
I saw Bodnant Gardens on the news yesterday and it showed the Giant Redwood tree that has blown over, what a shame as it was quite spectacular.
A neighbour of mine had left a marquee in the garden and after Storm Arwen abated the frame was still in the garden but the canvas had blown away and was heading south towards Bodnant

Offline DVT

« Reply #659 on: November 30, 2021, 03:09:09 pm »
I think the giant redwood is the one at the edge of the river, near the mill.  It was thought to be (have been) the tallest tree in the garden.  About 50 trees have come down so lots of work for the next few months, just as all the winter preparations were starting.  I am there tomorrow and Thursday so will see for myself, but it will be very upsetting to see the devastation caused by the storm.

I'll keep an eye open for the canvas!