Author Topic: Mike's Great Orme Golf Course  (Read 72965 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Mike's Great Orme Golf Course
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:29 pm »
I voted YES... so I will attend if it goes ahead...  :golf:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:10 pm »
Mike, slightly off topic but I'm hoping to go to Llanddwyn Island for a walk next Tuesday and I'm hoping that we can see the photo of the last lighthouse keeper on the Island who was a relative of yours.
I was talking about the walk over lunch in the Orient Express today and the friend I was speaking to knew her.  He was a boy living in Dwyran at the time and used to visit Miss Owen there. According to the friend she went everywhere with her horse and cart and she used to give him lifts in the cart sometimes.
He also said that she kept sheep and chickens on the Island too.
I'll let you know how I get on.   I did call at the course today but the weather was bad and I expect you had called it a day.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »
Hugo ---- so sorry to have missed you but, yes, I shut up shop. I did try for around an hour but even the goats had left me.
  Now to Miss Owen. This is exciting news, but I must say that this friend of yours must be a good age.
   He knew Miss Owen. Sounds like about three generations from the one I claim was my great grandmother.
   I was always told that she was the last lady lighthouse keeper in the U.K.  But it could well be that your friends Miss Owen is a granddaughter and she looked after the lighthouse. By that time it was probably out of action.
  However its an amazing coincedence that you have met someone who knows someone from my distant family.
  Let me know how you go on on your walk---only hope the weather is better for you.  Mike.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »
Mike, I had a phone call from my friend who knew that I was walking in Newborough yesterday and he said that the lady who he knew was called Elizabeth Jones and her brother was the village Bobby so she wasn't your relative after all. Sorry about the duff information I had but I did go on that walk and went into the Pilot's cottages. I've taken a few photos from a notice board that was on a wall in the cottage.
There are two there of a Margaret Owen, could she have been a relation of yours?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »
Llanddwyn Island Pilot's cottages

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:27 pm »
Crossed lines a bit here--I've just put a post on your "walks" thread before I read this. Well, I don't know. My grandmother was Margaret Owen but she didn't really have anything to do with the island apart from marrying an Owen Owen from the village. She came from Llan Ffestiniog.
  The photo doesn't ring a bell with me but I would think it is a fair bet that I am related to her though. It's just a coincidence that the two ladies had the same name. Not unusual. My sister went around the graveyard in Newborough fairly recently and she said there are around half a dozen Owen Owen's buried there, and Margaret was a very popular name.  Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2012, 11:53:40 pm »
Am I to assume that the Golf planned for 8th June has fizzled out?

I am still up for it, (for a laugh) if we get 8 or so participants.

Please advise.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2012, 07:29:36 am »
Count me in Fester.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2012, 08:29:05 pm »
I've been training solidly for the last month. I need to win this thing to help me get over not carrying the torch!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »
 >>>
Final Notice

Golf Cup Competition on Friday.

It's.   all.      Free

Offline Hugo

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2013, 02:03:46 pm »
I particularly liked that photo Bri Roberts took of you in the Extravaganza Mike and thought you looked quite dapper on the bike.
Now that they have relaxed the cycling restriction on the Prom it would make a good advert for the course if you were seen cycling down the Prom.     $good$

*cycle*    *cycle*

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2013, 04:04:49 pm »
   The thought had crossed my mind. I'll probably try it out first on a less contentious stretch and see what happens

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
   The thought had crossed my mind. I'll probably try it out first on a less contentious stretch and see what happens

Just watch out for "men from the Council" hiding in bushes!    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Boasting
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »
  I am not the boastful type. However, I am just about to make an exception.

Trip Adviser has a group pf businesses under the heading "Llandudno attractions." There are 74 of them covering all types from the grandest, largest, oldest, down to the bread and butter sites.

They are rated in importance, one to seventy-four, depending on the reviews sent in by customers/visitors.

Believe it or not, number five in this list is GREAT ORME FAMILY GOLF.   

You don't believe it possible? No, neither did I, until I took a look.       

(Now back to my old unboastfull self.)       Mike

Offline hollins

Re: Boasting
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2013, 09:34:20 pm »
Hey, ormegolf. I have just read the excellent reviews. Well done, brilliant! I was worrying last week that you had been ill again because you hadn't been on here much but glad to hear you are doing well.
 &well&