Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 193505 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #600 on: May 02, 2022, 01:04:28 pm »
Tellytubby had a trip to Bodnant Gardens last week and sent me some nice photos of the Gardens

Offline Hugo

« Reply #601 on: May 06, 2022, 02:24:13 pm »
Tellytubby has been enjoying a few days in Llangollen and he sent me a few lovely photos of the area.  It is a beautiful place to visit with lots of attractions in the nearby area

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #602 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:43 pm »
the photos have brought back some memories for me Hugo, I used to deliver wines and spirits and barrels of Double Diamond, Watneys Red Barrel and Guinness to the Chain Bridge Hotel on the canal side in 1963, I drove a three ton lorry once a week over that bridge crossing the canal which is no mean feat.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #603 on: May 06, 2022, 10:32:03 pm »
Is this the bridge that you used to drive over Snowcap?   It is quite narrow as you've said
Those beers you used to deliver also brought back memories for me too as I loved Double Diamond and Watneys Red Barrel.    I remember watching amateur boxing in Rhyl many years ago and had 8 pints of Double Diamond before the bouts had even started.    I certainly couldn't do that now or else I would be out for the count

Offline Helig

« Reply #604 on: May 07, 2022, 09:51:44 am »
These photos bring back memories for me too. The walk to the Horseshoe Falls was always lovely at anytime of the year. It was quite an experience to walk over the chain bridge to Berwyn station. There was another walk we used to do along the Dee back to Llangollen and I am trying to recall the route. I would recommend the World's End above Llangollen, the views from there are spectacular. There is an old manor house in that area too:

https://www.wrexham-history.com/foul-deeds-at-worlds-end/

I see it is on the market for the first time in 400 years:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10778957/Elizabethan-country-manor-boasting-six-bedrooms-goes-market-time-400-years.html

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #605 on: May 08, 2022, 12:32:02 am »
no not that bridge Hugo the one in the distance on you first photo posted on may6th

Offline Hugo

« Reply #606 on: May 08, 2022, 12:15:21 pm »
Is it the small humped back bridge by that nice cottage?       The last time I walked by that bridge the cottage was painted white but the owners must have changed the colour and it doesn't look as special now

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #607 on: May 08, 2022, 11:36:53 pm »
If its the one were you turn right down to the Chain Bridge then that's the one
 You were able to walk across the chain bridge in those days but that's not the case to day, its been closed for many years

Offline Hugo

« Reply #608 on: May 09, 2022, 09:07:57 am »
I'm not sure Snowcap but when I'm next there I'll check on it.     The old Chain Bridge was closed for many years and was in a terrible state but they must have improved it because I went across it in November 2019 and took this photo of the hotel from the bridge

Offline Hugo

« Reply #609 on: May 19, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »
Portmeirion in pictures - the beauty and character of North Wales' unique attraction.    It really is a special place to stay at or visit

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/portmeirion-pictures-beauty-character-north-23993129

Offline Hugo

« Reply #610 on: July 02, 2022, 12:51:08 pm »
Mondie,   I'm thinking about getting a Samsung phone but when I looked at the phones online there were so many models I'm more confused than ever about which one to buy.
What model to you have as I would be more than happy to have one with the quality photos that you have posted?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #611 on: July 19, 2022, 05:23:58 pm »
River Alyn runs dry at Denbighshire country park amid record breaking heat wave
Locals said they have never seen it like this as the hot spell continues.

Just as an add on this type of thing has happened in the River Alyn many times before.     In dry Summer spells the river goes into a sink hole and reappears some distance downstream

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/river-alyn-runs-dry-denbighshire-24530154

Offline SAJ

« Reply #612 on: July 19, 2022, 09:31:36 pm »
As far as I?m aware, the water level of the Alyn at Loggerheads regularly falls away during summer months. I was told when I moved to the area back in the 1970?s that the main body of water disappears into swallow holes in the limestone river bed, possibly associated with former mining infrastructure from back in the day. I?m advised there?s plenty of flow in the river further downstream in Mold.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #613 on: August 07, 2022, 09:14:34 pm »
Mondie,   I'm thinking about getting a Samsung phone but when I looked at the phones online there were so many models I'm more confused than ever about which one to buy.
What model to you have as I would be more than happy to have one with the quality photos that you have posted?

Hi Hugo,

just saw your message as this is the first time I have logged on for a while. I would suggest the S22 Ultra or Google Pixel 6 Pro, the latter is a bit less expensive and is probably overall a better camera, but not a better overall phone. Depends on which is more important to you :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #614 on: August 08, 2022, 10:43:24 am »
Thanks very much Mondie for your advice on those phone cameras.    I noticed that your phone camera was a Samsung and I was impressed by the quality of the photos from your walks, is your phone the Samsung S22 Ultra?
I've only just thought of getting a phone camera because my camera must weigh 1 Kg and that's heavy when you're lugging it around for miles
I have looked at a Samsung Galaxy A53 and that sounds good too and more in my price range.    I'm more interested in the camera aspect
than as a phone.