Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 198487 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2024, 01:46:46 pm »
Eryri cafe loved by walkers will close this weekend
Operators are leaving Caffi Siabod and it is not yet known if it will reopen under a new team.    I hope that it does open gain as it had a nice atmosphere and was a good way to relax after a day out walking

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/eryri-cafe-loved-walkers-close-28401304

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #676 on: January 24, 2024, 10:10:27 am »
Inside the luxury apartment hidden within a manor house once gutted by fire
There are four fab flats to choose from within this landmark property that was once attacked by arsonists

Aaron House, also known as Gainsborough House, is a gated community the sits within the stunning north Wales landscape just south of Abergele

cont/ photos   https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/welsh-homes/gallery/inside-luxury-apartment-hidden-within-28497633?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Online Hugo

« Reply #677 on: February 23, 2024, 05:31:11 pm »
The 14 spectacular North Wales waterfalls that are worth visiting all year round
The region is home to a number of beautiful waterfalls which each offer a spectacular sight for visitors.    With all the rainfall we have had recently they will be very impressive

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/14-beautiful-dramatic-waterfalls-you-16684290

Online SteveH

« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2024, 09:28:47 am »
An interesting article for those who follow the show, including a page by page catalogue of the auction items........

Salvage Hunter Drew Pritchard selling part of private collection from antique filled Conwy cottage

Drew Pritchard is well-known from his television work, but first and foremost he is well respected within the industry as a leading antique dealer. You know when it?s a piece chosen by Drew, there?s something about it, it?s difficult to put your finger on it, but it?s unmistakably a Drew Pritchard piece. On Tuesday 5 & Wednesday 6 March, we are pleased to be holding our auction Drew Pritchard: The Collection, celebrating the first 30 years of Drew's career, with items he has collected over this period.

cont https://www.dreweatts.com/news-videos/drew-pritchard-the-collection-14653/

Online SteveH

« Reply #679 on: March 03, 2024, 09:57:15 am »
Inside stunning windmill with spectacular views that?s now a unique dream home
The location is amazing but it's the circular tower that captivates the most

Wander up a road that climbs a hillside as you leave the popular coastal town of Llandudno and you come across a building that will instantly captivate and intrigue ? Hen Dwr windmill. It stopped working as an industrial structure more than 150 years ago and is now a unique and stylish home that can boast the fabulous and original windmill tower as its core feature.

The windmill is a Grade II-listed structure, awarded by Cadw in 1951 and amended in 2001, because "notwithstanding modern addition, it is a picturesque structure with probably 18th-century origins".

The listing goes on to say that it is known that a windmill was built on this hill between 1617 and 1642 with a mill on the site of the present building apparently shown on a map of 1748. For more property stories sent to your inbox twice a week sign up to the property newsletter here.

cont https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/welsh-homes/gallery/inside-stunning-windmill-spectacular-views-28732909?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Online SteveH

« Reply #680 on: March 08, 2024, 09:34:46 am »
update on March 2nd post above.....

Salvage Hunter Drew Pritchard nets six figures in Conwy cottage antiques auction
The TV star and antiques dealer sold a chunk of his private collection

Auction house Dreweatts said the 'hammer total' at the auction was ?636,510. The aggregate total, which includes the commission for the auction house and other expenses, was ?802,003.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/salvage-hunter-drew-pritchard-nets-28774565?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Online Hugo

« Reply #681 on: March 08, 2024, 06:24:51 pm »
I had a walk yesterday in Tyn Y Morfa with Tellytubby but before the walk I had a look at the Roman Bath House that had been excavated in Melyd Ave.   One interesting discovery that they found was a tile or brick that they made on site and while the clay was still wet a dog had walked over it and its pawprint was still there nearly 2000 years later.
After doing the walk we stopped at Nant Mill Pond where we hoped to see the Kingfishers that had been seen there recently but unfortunately they weren't there at the time.    There's always another day but it was still nice to see the pont again.

Online Hugo

« Reply #682 on: March 25, 2024, 10:14:39 pm »
Seven celebrities cross North Wales in footsteps of saints, pilgrims and 'terrifying' priestesses
All are searching for enlightenment in the latest BBC series of Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage: The Road Through North Wales starts on Friday, March 29. It?s on BBC Two at 9pm and on BBC Two Wales at 9.30pm.
It promises to be a good programme and starts from Flint Castle and ends up on Bardsey Island.   My walking buddies and I have walked along some of the route and all being well we hope to visit Bardsey Island ( Ynys Enlli ) again this year, It'll be my thirs visit to that lovely island

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/tv/seven-celebrities-cross-north-wales-28884789

Online Hugo

« Reply #683 on: April 03, 2024, 03:33:31 pm »
Old Uncle Albert sent me this lovely photo of Porthmadog and the mountain at the top left is the Knicht.     Like Colwyn Bay, Porthmadog has had a lot of rain over the Bank Holiday and the photo was taken on on of the few days when it was dry

Online Hugo

« Reply #684 on: April 20, 2024, 11:47:46 am »
Some years ago I saw a Weatherman Walking walk starting from Abergynolwyn and it was a very interesting walk and we visited the castle as part of the walk.   There was no admission fee and it is set in a beautiful location.
A little further on is Llanfihangel where Mary Jones started he famous walk to Bala and part of her walk was included in the Weatherman Walking route.
Well worth a walk as there is so much to see

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cattle-castle-north-wales-thats-29030124

Online Hugo

« Reply #685 on: April 23, 2024, 12:12:38 pm »
Yesterday, I paid a visit to my parents grave in the Llanrhos Lawn Cemetery and was surprised to see that the Cemetery was in need of tidying up.    Whether the wet weather or CCBC cuts was to blame or perhaps a combination of both.   Whatever the reason something needs to be done
Since my last visit there someone had left a small plaque there with some very poignant words on it and I did feel quite emotional reading the words
After paying my respects I walked through the old Churchyard and saw the grave of poor Betty and it was sad to read about her life
Poor Betty (d.1842)
Her epitaph reads: ?Here lyeth the body of poor Betty, who for upwards of 50 years was a houseless wandering maniac. Died Feb 1824.? Then in Welsh: ?Y mae gorphwysfa yn y Nefoedd.? (?There?s a resting place in Heaven.?) Local people clubbed together to save her from a paupers? grave.

I then went to have a look at St Mary's Well and then the old school of Llanrhos before returning back to my car and going home

Offline mull

« Reply #686 on: April 24, 2024, 05:26:59 am »
Llanrhos Lawn Cemetery , upsetting to see it in that state.

Last time we were there, pre Covid, a small china flower arrangement on my mother and fathers grave had been damaged by a strimmer, and we had to replace it. Due another visit also up the Orme hopefully later this year.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #687 on: April 24, 2024, 09:32:36 am »
It?s shocking to see how they are neglecting the cemetery, last year walking through remembering friends I looked at the babies graves the grass was taller than the headstones 🥲.   Pats husband used to mow a lot of the gras in mums area. But he?s not got the mower anymore.

Online Hugo

« Reply #688 on: April 24, 2024, 01:18:53 pm »
It's a shame like you say Norman and I hope that it will soon be sorted out.      It could be worse though if those Goats had got into the Lawn Cemetery.    Yes the grass would have been eaten but the Goats would have left their calling cards all over the place.... Ugh!
It made me think of the time when our cousin Ivy was buried at St Tudno's and there were dozens and dozens of flowers there all laid out on the grave and paths.    When I took Aunty Mary there in the evening all the flowers had gone, been eaten by the Goats and all that remained were signs of appreciation from the Goats