Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 198472 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2013, 10:19:19 am »
Opinion appears to be divided on the subject.

Further investigation of the towers, ramparts and gatehouse will be most interesting.

Permission of the hotel management will not be required for the path I intend to take.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:18 am »
Whatever transpires the Castle is well worth a visit.   One hot sunny day some years ago I attended a pre retirement course there and they had the doors wide open to cool the room and the tame Peacocks just wandered in and looked around the room but were quickly ushered out in case they left a calling card on the carpets there!

Fester, my camera batteries have run out on me when I've been walking but as they are the round AA type all I have to do is take them out and warm them by rubbing them in my hands and then they work perfectly again.    $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:11 am »
I tried that trick Hugo, it often works... but it let me down on a cold January new years day!
Fester...

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:35 pm »
The reference to  the Cunning Green is confusing, I've always known it as the path to the LEFT as you walk out of the Castle gates.  It leads down to the local Park  with a high wall on your left and  bit of a drop on your right as you pass the back of the houses on Lower Clwyd Street. If you wanted to glimpse the ruins from over the wall you would need a long ladder! The path gives you an idea of the extent of the  inaccessible grounds belonging to the castle.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »
That's correct Sue.
The path down to the left, (from the Castle Gates) does indeed have a very high wall.
There is no view to the Castle frontage in any way.
This is why I am saying that the Victorians are unlikely to have re-created a castle facade of that enormous size, if no one could actually admire it.

I'm not saying that the Victorians didn't repair or raise the ruins to some degree, but the drum towers and gatehouse appear to be dilapidated medieval ruins.  (All in my opinion)

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:44 pm »
Stopped to get a photo of the Grey Mare's Tail Waterfall by Llanrwst this afternoon:

Waterfall by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2013, 08:41:18 pm »
yet another cracker Dave, keep them coming

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2013, 08:19:32 am »
Like the ghostly head and face (top centre) which makes it appear as though the waterfalls are arms...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:12 am »
Thank you, Snowcap. Never saw that, Ian, until you said!

It's a great little place, passed it many times o the B5106 but never taken the time to go and look at it until now.

Online Hugo

« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »
After Pendragon's photo of it on one of her walks I've been there a few times and taken others to see it too.
Well worth the effort and we now approach it from the car park on the main Trefriw Road as it is easier to get to it that way.    $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »
I don't know why I bother going to Betws y Coed.

The last time I went, I concluded that it was a just a collection of tourist gift shops and outdoors shops.
If you want to see endless ranges of walking boots, fleeces, and Welsh slate coasters, then Betws is the place for you.

However, because the number 19 bus goes from right outside my house, directly to ByC, Mrs Fester said we should give it a try for a day out.
This also meant that I could have a beer or two, given that we were leaving the car at home. I recalled that I quite liked the Royal Oak and was looking forward to that.
So, off we set with an open mind.

We arrived in Betws, and headed in to the Alpine Coffee Shop, which was unique and excellent.
In hindsight, we should never have left it.  From there it all went downhill. We went around a whole series of outdoor clothing shops until Mrs F finally settled on a fleece.  By that time I had lost the will to live.   Men do not belong in clothing shops. After all, we only own 2 pairs of shoes, and 2 pairs of pants.  (one for best, and one for everyday)

From there, we sat on the rocks in the river, ate our sandwiches... took a couple of pics, blah, blah... but we've done ll that before.

So, excitedly we made our way into the Royal Oak, I remembered it fondly for its Victorian grandeur, for its leather armchairs and its cosy atmosphere.  But NO!

Now, it resembles a Premier Inn, with its poor quality mish-mash furniture.. its bright lights and its tacky decor.
As you enter your eyes are assaulted by a red neon sign, 'Grill Room'
I went through the Grill Room on the way to the loo, and it was a cheap looking extension, serving what looked like 'Little Chef' style dinners, and it was adjacent to an even cheaper looking self service cafe.
Now, I realise that they have updated the place and are now catering for a wider tourist market.  In Summer I'm sure they will absolutely RAKE IT IN.... but in the process. they have ruined the atmosphere and the heritage.

So. after a pint of overpriced lager, we shuffled off to the gift shops again... and back to the bus station.
I did enjoy some of the scenery around Rowen and Llanrwst, which I normally miss while I'm driving.
But other than that, I reckon that my original opinion of Betws y Coed has been re-enforced.

It will be a cold day before I venture there again.   (Its going to be freezing next week, I hear)  :laugh:

To top off a really crap day, we got off the return bus early, in order to go to Fat Cat's in Llandudno to have a nice evening meal.
However, as our luck would have it, the Kitchens are closed for 2 days, for refurbishment.
So.... we trudged back home, up the Gt Orme, to get on with that most joyous of tasks, the rubbish recycling!  :(

Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2013, 10:35:50 pm »
On the other hand, we had a fantastic day going out in the car with our packed lunch and flasks, to Porthmadog and other places with plenty of walks, took lots of pics (will put some up later!) one of those perfect days!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »
Pics of today as promised. The old church at Llandecwyn has amazing views!

looking towards Portmerion

Borth y Gest, some great walks along the cliffs here!

Another look at the Dorothea Quarry

Great old beam engine here.

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2013, 07:58:45 am »
one of those perfect days!  D)
Looks like you were able to make the most of yesterday's beautiful weather as well ME.
It was wonderful and so unexpected for January.
That's a wonderful view of Portmeirion from the other side. I've never seen it from over there.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47:13 am »
Oh dear Fester--sorry you had a poor day-- still mustn't moan. :twoface:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.