The Local > Genealogy & Research

Margaret Anne Pearl Hughes

(1/19) > >>

Hugo:
Karen,    I was in the Library today and had a look at some Census records.    I'm not sure if you have this info but I'll list it below:-

The 1901 Wales Census shows the following info for people living at Elleslea  North Madoc Street  Llandudno

Ishmael  Hughes            Head    33 years      Stone Mason   born  Bolton Lancs              spoke Welsh & English
Isabel  E Hughes             wife      37 years                             born  Mountford  Salop        spoke   English
Margaret  A P Hughes    daugh                1 year                    born    Llandudno

The 1881   Wales Census   showed Ishmael  Hughes then aged 14 living and working at Tyn Y Coed  on the Great Orme   He worked for Peter C Brown a farmer of 80 acres of Tyn Y Coed Farm and Ishmail Hughes was employed as a farm servant indoor.

I couldn't trace Ishmael Hughes in the 1891  Census and didn't have time to look at the 1871 Census

Are these your relatives?       North Madoc Street is a name that no longer exists and I think that it has been renamed and may be Chapel Street but I'm not completely certain on that. 

Cambrian:
Hugo, according to Streets of Llandudno, North Madoc Street was renamed Arvon Avenue in 1910.

Hugo:

--- Quote from: Cambrian on March 05, 2014, 08:32:36 am ---Hugo, according to Streets of Llandudno, North Madoc Street was renamed Arvon Avenue in 1910.

--- End quote ---

Thanks very much for that Cambrian.     $good$

Hugo:
The first photo is of "Ellerslea"   Arvon Avenue ( prev North Madoc Street )  where Margaret A P Hughes lived and it's the cream coloured  house.
The second picture is where Southworth lived in 1929

Karen, do you know the middle name of your G G Grandmother  Isabel E Hughes?      Is it Emma by any chance?

The reason I ask is that in St Tudno's Church on the Great Orme at Plot No G 027 there is a grave with the headstone inscribed as follows:-

In loving memory of Harold the beloved child of Ishmael and Emma Hughes who died June 12th 1897 aged 3 years and 10 months.
Also Ishmael Hughes who died in New York Feb 8th 1916 aged 49 years.
At rest Emma Hughes who passed away 6th Aug 1945 aged 83 years.

The dates of birth are similar to the people I mentioned previously and I was wondering if  Isabel E Hughes was known as Emma Hughes.

Hugo:
I called at the Conwy Archives today just to check on what I had found in my last posting and what I found confirmed that Ishmael and Isabel Emma Hughes are your G Grandparents.

In the Llandudno Advertiser dated 25th Aug 1945 at page 2 is the obituary notice which read as follows:-
Hughes  Aug 6th aged 83 years Isabel (Emma) widow of Ishmael Hughes late of Quorn Villa and dear mother of Margaret ( Pearl) Southworth,  3 Olive Tree Road Wavertree  Liverpool.
Interred St Tudno's Aug 10th.

On the same page under the heading of "Thanks"  was this notice:-
Hughes-   Mrs Southworth desires to thank all relatives and friends for their kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes in their recent sad bereavement.

Afterwards I called at the old Cemetery at St Tudno's on the Great Orme and took these photos of the grave.  It was easy to locate being next to the gate leading to the new Cemetery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version