Author Topic: Forum Statistics  (Read 202349 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Forum Statistics
« Reply #345 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:34 pm »
I remember Status Quo, are Controversy a new group ?

You were almost correct but here  are the facts:

Controversy is the fourth studio album by Prince, released on October 14, 1981. Keith Harris of Blender calls the album "Prince's first attempt to get you to love him for his mind, not just his body" .
 ¢¢## ¢¢## ¢¢## $elvis$ $elvis$ $elvis$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #346 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:10 pm »
one day I,ll learn to keep my mouth shut knowing i can,t win with you.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #347 on: November 14, 2013, 11:18:54 pm »
Keith Harris? Isn't he the chap with Orville the duck?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #348 on: November 15, 2013, 10:42:46 am »
 $donald$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2013, 07:10:39 am »
Most on line ever 166,  most on line today 166.  This morning at 06.53.  Where are they all?    :)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2013, 08:41:19 am »
Most on line ever 166,  most on line today 166.  This morning at 06.53.  Where are they all?    :)
We obviously have a lot of early risers with an interest in the three towns area!  :laugh:

Offline hollins

« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:21 am »
Who is going to be the 1000'th member and do they get a prize?      :o ;D

Offline BilkoBailey

• Lived in Conwy Morfa, Bryn Celyn & Craig-y-Don.
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2014, 07:05:34 pm »
Go on! Call me an anorak, but I just browsed through all 24 pages of "Forum stats" and it found it all very interesting.  $thanx$
I read with a little sympathy DaveR's comments about encouraging folks to "post here" on the Three Towns Forum.  I try to do my bit by mentioning and referring folks here from the various Facebook pages, but I have to say that Folks find Facebook's software considerably easier to use than this SMF 90's style forum software.  I've been using PC's since 1981 and still find this type of software very unintuitive and "cranky" to use (and I've really persevered).  The "search" function remains a mystery to me as it does to many members (judging from the lists of search terms that have been used)  :o
As an example: I spent all morning "trawling" through what seemed like all of the 69,000 odd pages, trying to find a list of Conwy shops from late 40's, early 50's that John Thom compiled in about 2002.  I knew it was here somewhere as I saw it last year.  After failing with my search attempts, I looked at every page in "times past" to no avail.  I eventually found it in "All things Conwy".  I'm retired with loads of spare time - but many wouldn't be bothered.  I shall continue to point folks this way and learn to use the software, but thought I'd "just say".  >>> Many thanks admins, for a great forum.  $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:55 pm »
By coincidence, I tried to find a thread earlier using the search facility from about 3-4 years ago about the number of establishments in Llandudno one could purchase a coffee to help answer this post below and I hate to admit it but I gave up.

And how many coffee facilities will that total.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #354 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:39 pm »
  One of the forum moderators could give you the answer straight away --- he has been a customer in every one

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: March 15, 2014, 08:59:35 am »
I've been using PC's since 1981 and still find this type of software very unintuitive and "cranky" to use (and I've really persevered).  The "search" function remains a mystery to me as it does to many members (judging from the lists of search terms that have been used)

Before we decided on SMF to house the forum we looked at a lot of others. I used to use IRC in the early '90s, when the internet was something most hadn't even heard of and that was a difficult way to do things. SMF has remained in vogue across the world for a number of reasons,  It's easy to use once you've been doing it for a while, it allows for precise categorisation, it's extremely flexible and it can accept plug-ins and extensions, none of which Facebook can. However, the main reason is it's far more secure than Facebook, and with Facebook's acquisition of the infamously insecure WhatsApp you can expect a lot more problems with the already leaky Facebook.

Facebook, Twitter et. al. are all commercial entities, that want to separate you from your money in as many ways as possible. We only have a few ads on here to cover hosting and we don't make a penny from it ourselves, so we have no axe to grind and can afford to allow members who reach a certain posting total to enjoy it without the ads.

You're right about the search function - sort of. There's trick to using it that isn't that well known. First off, it's pretty stupid, so don't expect the smooth correction algorithms like Google's. You do need to be very precise in spelling terms. Secondly, however, it will only search the section you're actually in at the time you invoke the search. The trick is to force the home or main page display and then enter the search parameters.

But, overall, we believe this offers a secure forum with the best mix of functionality and organisation for the cost (it's free:-).
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:34 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2014, 03:42:56 pm »
There is always the option to search the Forum by Google itself. I've entered the term Conwy in the example below, this can be changed to any search term you desire:
https://www.google.com/search?q=conwy&sitesearch=threetownsforum.co.uk

As the Forum has grown, searching has inevitably become more problematic, as the list of results obtained grows. With over 60,000 posts, there is a lot of information within this site!  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: July 14, 2014, 01:20:34 pm »
Stats geeks may be interested to view the Forum's Bandwidth Usage over the last 12 months, over 500gb in total:

Past 12 Months
Month   Bandwidth Usage (MB)
July 2013   40834 MB
August 2013   47092 MB
September 2013   45240 MB
October 2013   42908 MB
November 2013   43424 MB
December 2013   40613 MB
January 2014   41627 MB
February 2014   28082 MB
March 2014   38386 MB
April 2014   41154 MB
May 2014   33601 MB
June 2014   40446 MB

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #359 on: July 15, 2014, 12:00:27 am »
What is the reason for the apparent stagnation?  ?{}?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -